How to build a trap

Pajaro

Looking for detailed, online plans (including complete diagrams, etc.) for building a live pigeon trap.  Feel free to post the plans in your reply, if it is not against any forum rules.

I live in a third-world country where I cannot buy a trap, nor the plans, nor anything that would need to be shipped to me, so the plans must be something I can get online and build myself.  We do have general hardware stores where I can get wire mesh, boards, hinges, etc., but nothing VERY advanced (i.e. no pre-made doors just for traps, etc.).

Thanks.

your english is very good for a third world country

Ergo, you have assumed that because I am in a third-world country, that I am from that third-world country.  Actually, I am an American missionary, so my native language is American English (there's an oxymoron for you).

Apart from the linguistic and logical traps, are you able to build a pigeon trap, as I had originally requested?

Hmmm...I have tried many Google searches, but have only found photos of traps, not actual plans (e.g. diagrams) that would indicate dimensions and other specific information such as how to make the entry doors work only one way.

The kind of trap I need is something with a low profile with which to catch urban pigeons in rooftop areas where they are causing damage so I can transport them elsewhere.  Thus, it would have to be something that will not require direct interaction such as the box and string, but more "bait and wait."

Thanks.

Now we got ya. Thats easy enough to knock up. Size and dimensions really don't matter but I would suggest a height of around 12 inches.

One I made as a kid had a plywood base and roof, four batten uprights at the corners and a batten frame around the edge of the floor and roof. All four sides were covered with chicken wire stapled to the batten frames. The entrance can be on any side, offset to the left or right and about 5 inches wide. Its just a simple matter of bending a length of stoutish wire into a 'U' shape. Staple the top of the 'U' to the roof batten, making sure that the 2 prongs  are long enough to fit inside the floor batten. You just need to add one batten upright the other side of the trap to fix the end of the chicken wire to.

Now just bait it with corn. the pigeons can  enter by pushing against the wire, but when they push the wire to try and get out the floor batten stops the wire from being pushed outwards.

Hope this helps.

Now we got ya. Thats easy enough to knock up. Size and dimensions really don't matter but I would suggest a height of around 12 inches.

One I made as a kid had a plywood base and roof, four batten uprights at the corners and a batten frame around the edge of the floor and roof. All four sides were covered with chicken wire stapled to the batten frames. The entrance can be on any side, offset to the left or right and about 5 inches wide. Its just a simple matter of bending a length of stoutish wire into a 'U' shape. Staple the top of the 'U' to the roof batten, making sure that the 2 prongs  are long enough to fit inside the floor batten. You just need to add one batten upright the other side of the trap to fix the end of the chicken wire to.

Now just bait it with corn. the pigeons can  enter by pushing against the wire, but when they push the wire to try and get out the floor batten stops the wire from being pushed outwards.

Hope this helps.

Okay.  Sounds VERY easy.  That does make some sense and, even without a diagram, I can picture that because of how you described it.  Thanks!

As a boy I remember being asked to clear the roof of an old peoples home which was littered with pigeons.

My " trap" was along the same lines as Jupiters but with just a slight difference in size being 4' long 2' 6" wide and 2' high.  The entrance to the trap I made, was through the top.  There were 8 drop holes 6" x 6".  I put the trap on top of the building  ( flat roof ) and left it empty for a couple of days to allow the pigeons to get used to it. I then put corn in the bottom and left it again.   After 3 days, all pigeons had been caught.

The reason the drop holes were put in the top was because if the pigeon tried to get out, he would have to use his wings to keep himself in the air so couldn't escape.

All good fun!!!!!!!!!!!!