Joe Murphy Column 25th November 2023

sapper756

At this time of the year everything seams to dry up and I very seldom hear from fanciers
either by phone or email. I think everyone just goes into hibernation and the weather does
not help this either. So I have continued to look for something to keep the column going.
As I’m doing a lot of recherché for my book on the Dewar Trophy winners which covers
the past 50 years, I have found some articles written by Scottish National winner which I
thought might be of interest to younger fanciers who have not heard of these past SNFC
Winners. I came across an article on the 1 st open SNFC Rennes 1976 winner ‘Murray’s
Delight’.
This fancier’s first introduction into the fancy was in 1929 at the age of 10, when he used
to clean out the loft for his brother, Thomas, and at the end of the week he received a
‘tanner’ (six pence then) for his weeks work. He remembered one week he had the loft
cleaned, but he forgot to clean the drinkers-----instead of getting the ‘tanner’ he got a kick
up the backside. That taught him to make sure that the drinkers must be kept clean at all
times; a lesson he never forgot.
In 1950 he decided to keep pigeon on his own. His first two racing pigeons were a
present from his good friend L Horsburgh, once owner of the famous ‘Fechan Lass’.
These 2 yearling cocks had flown the Kings Norton as youngsters for Mr Horsburgh, a
distance of 200 miles. He flogged these two pigeons every week from 45 to 3000 miles as
yearlings to win the novice cup in the strong Brydekirk club. There were no novices in
the club now as every member had scored at National level. He learned a lot by listening
to these well-known National fliers, namely; J Soutar, J Dalgleish, T Little, L Horsburgh,
Gilmour Brothers, W B Halliday, J B Halliday and not forgetting his old friend J
Patterson of Lockerbie.
The foundation of his loft were pigeons which his brother purchased from the late T Gray
of Lanark. He presented him with six pairs of Gray’s strain in 1964.
Now for some details of his SNFC Rennes winner ‘’Murray’s Delight’; she was a blue
chequer hen. Dam was a blue chequer SU72D6695 which was 18 th section 50 th open
Avranches in 1974, flying 448 miles doing a velocity of 880 ypm. She was 15 hours on
the wing.
Sire was a dark chequer, SU72S6679 which had numerous club positions from 45 miles
to 306 miles; 6679 is a half brother to dark grizzle hen SU68S664 which was 14 th section
37 th open Beauvais, 450 miles, velocity 1120 ypm in 1970. Sure if 6679 and 6684 is a
dark grizzle cock SU67S7616, which has flown the channel 8 times. Sire of 7616 was
found in the loft in 1967 to win 22 nd section 38 th open Rennes in 1967 with a velocity of
1463 ypm.
The dam of my Rennes winner had only one race in 1975, homing in a race of 100 miles
with 4 flights in one wing; I was preparing this hen for Avranches 1976, but when I knew
that I had won Rennes I decided not to race her again.
The dam of S Scott’s 5 th section 14 th open Rennes is from the same family of birds as his
Rennes winner; and he made him a present of this pigeon in 1973. His Rennes winner
was 4 th club Redditch 200 mile as a youngster. She was also 18 th south of Scotland
Channel Club Yearling Derby from Lymington flying 300 miles.
Feeding
At the start of the 1976 season, he could not get his birds fit. So, he changed to a better-
quality mixture of 50% beans and 50% peas, which was much dearer in price, but well
worth it. After a few weeks he saw a remarkable change in the appearance of his birds.
He used a little linseed in the preparation of his Rennes birds. His pigeons are well fed, to
the extent that he is inclined t over feed. Better this way than too little. He never starves
his youngsters as they must be well nourished if they are to make good in their life.
General Management
My pigeons have the open hole from dawn to dusk, they are not forced to exercise in the
morning, but fly well on their own accord. They are exercised one hour every night

The Joe Murphy Column

during the racing season. I have a fox terrier dog which keeps all cats at bay, this was a
present to my son from my fancier friend N Gardiner of Lockerbie.
The worst problem of the open hole is to stop the birds from fielding. I have cut this
down to a minimum by adding table salt, sugar and calcium to the minerals and using all
kinds, of grit. My birds are fed in the mornings and evenings. My young birds are raced
up to 224 miles if fit and yearlings up to 300 miles.
Training
My old birds are not trained. Some are sent to their first race of 45 miles. I usually send
as many as possible to our third race a distance of 100 miles. After that it is more
selection than quantity. During racing if I think a pigeon needs a bit of work, I take it
north to fly against the wind, 30 miles north is better than 45 miles south. I have tossed
my pigeons in the middle of the Lanarkshire hills to fly south.
My best performances in club racing have all been with rested birds, but well exercised at
home. To quote some; 1 st club 1 st federation Penkridge 168 miles. 1 st club 1 st federation
Lymington 306 miles- this was a sister to my Rennes winner; 1 st club 5 th federation
Charlton, 268 miles; 3 rd club Lymington (only 5 birds into the club on the day). 10 th open
young bird national 1973, 224 miles;18 th open young bird national; 2 nd open Solway
federation Worcester young birds.
My advice to the novice is get your birds fit and do not be afraid to jump them into 100
miles or 200 miles.
My Rennes winner had only four club races, Garstang 85 miles; Appleton 128 miles;
Penkridge 168 miles; Charlton 268 miles. She was sent to Shap, 45 miles the Saturday
before Rennes. She was feeding an eight-day old youngster when basketed for Rennes.
Young birds are well trained up to 25 miles as often as possible. I usually try and give
them a single up from 15 miles a week before our first race. All my young bird training is
done in the evenings between 6pm & 7pm and my losses in training a slight. I am always
looking at my youngster for any sign of weakness. If you don’t cull from the nest, you
will be lumbering yourself with weaklings which later will go down when worked.
Tragic setbacks and heartbreaks are reserved for those fanciers who shrink from perpetual
culling. A bird which shows no promise at two years age is destroyed. My youngsters are
never exercised in the morning until after their first race. They do not receive the open
hole. My pigeons are not separated until the first week in February and then paired from
the March 1 st onwards, my Rennes winner was mated on March 15 th .
To produce a national winner your pigeon must have great homing ability, unlimited
stamina, gameness and an unbreakable spirt that is reserved for all champions.
Loft
My loft is 18 feet long by 5 feet 6 inches wide, 7 feet at the front and 6 feet at the back. It
is divided into three 6 feet sections with an aviary of 3 feet x 2 feet for each section. It is
well ventilated at the front and rear. I trap my birds through a window board of 4 feed x 2
feet x 6 inches. Trapping is no problem. They are well schooled when youngsters. There
is plenty of room for my 20 pairs of birds. The top of my loft is plastered with thorns, and
tied down. You wont win races if they come home and sit on the top of your loft.
I have written this article in the hope that some readers may find something that they can
try for themselves, and if I have helped anybody, I will have considered it worthwhile. I
would like to conclude by thanking all those who congratulated me on my success.
J Murray of Ecclefechan.
I hope readers of my column have enjoyed the above and if they have any requests then
please let me know and I will try to cover them in the winter months which are ahead.

The Joe Murphy Column

Update from Australia

My sister texted me from Australia asking me if I had seen the story on ‘Winkie’ I said
no and she forwarded it to me.
On 23 rd of February 1942 a 4-man crew aboard a British Bristol Beaufort aircraft when it
crashed in the North Sea as a result of being badly damaged by enemy fire following a
mission to Norway.
Struggling in the freezing waters, the crew remembers ‘Winkie’, a blue chequer hen,
number NEHU40NSL. Sending her was their only chance, as the crew did not have time
to radio an accurate position before ditching.
Winkie was set free, and flew 120 miles home to Broughty Ferry (which is just outside
Dundee), where her owner, George Ross, discovered the exhausted pigeon. He alerted the
Air Base at RAF Leuchars in Fife, and a search and rescue mission was launched.
Using the time difference from the plane ditching to the arrival of the pigeon in the loft,
and taking into account the wind direction the inhibition to her flight speed caused by oil
spoilage to her feathers, the RAF were able to approximate where the plane ditched.
Within 15 minutes, the crew’s position had been located and a rescue vessel had been
dispatched. The crew were rescued and later held a dinner for Winkie, who basked in her
cage as she was toasted by the officers.
On the 2 nd of December 1943 ‘Winkie’ was awarded the Dickin Medal. The citation read,
‘For delivering a message under exceptional difficulties and so contributing to the rescue
of an Air Crew while serving with the RAF in Februarary in 1942. ‘Winkie’ received her
medal by PDSA founder Maria Dickin CBE in March 1943. The Dickin Medal
acknowledges outstanding acts of bravery displaced by animals serving with the armed
forces. When ‘Winkie’ died, Ross donated and her Dickin Medal to Dundee Art Galleries
and Museums.
A new statue has been unveiled in Dundee to honour ‘Winkie’, the bronze statue is part
of a new development of flood defences beside the River Tay and sits on the floodgates
in Beach Crescent. The body and her Dicken Medal are both on display in the
McManus;’ Dundee Art Gallery & Museum.
The Bronze Casting has been created by renowned Scottish Sculptor David Annand.

Joe’s Joke

Sex at 73
I just took a leaflet out of my mailbox, informing me that I can have sex at 73.
I’m so happy, because I live at number 71. So, it is not too far to walk home afterwards.
and, it’s the same side of the street. I don’t even have to cross the road.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2
Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email
to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto
www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk who wish my
weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

?ui=2&ik=63c3bf02a6&attid=0.2&permmsgid=

?ui=2&ik=63c3bf02a6&attid=0.3&permmsgid=