Joe Murphy Column 20th November 2023

sapper756

The Joe Murphy Column

There is not much news coming from clubs; federations etc. regarding prize winners, and it is therefore hard
to keep the column going on a weekly basis. Hence the reason there was no column last week. So, I have
decided to cover some of the outstanding pigeons and fanciers who have done well over the years especially
at the distance racing which has a special place in my heart. So, with this in mind I start with an outstanding
accomplishment of a pigeon flying 1000 miles from Palamos to its home loft in Scotland. This was to the
loft of Bert Stewart of Carnoustie in Angus. (Many fanciers my know this little town for its famous Gold
Course, which has been used for the British Open competition)
Bert wrote the following article away back in 1977 regarding his winner ‘Betty’s Delight’. He continues;
From an early age pigeons fascinated me, and it was not a surprise to me when my father brought home a
pair from my uncle, who was a fancier. From that day I have always kept pigeons, except of course when I
was in the Forces. On demob, my first thought was to obtain a loft and pigeons, and this I did in 1947.
My aim was to cultivate a family of pigeon which would hold their own with the best from 500- and 600-
mile races. This I have done with a fair amount of success both for myself and for others who have had birds
from me.
Winning the first Scottish 1000 Mile Club race (flying in conjunction with the British Barcelona Club) was a
great thrill, and a climax to my endeavour to succeed in the long-distance races. But I have still to win the
Scottish National, and, until then, I’m afraid I have not reached my goal, although I came close in 1956
when my good blue cock 53T4868, (Blue Cloud) won 6 th section 6 th open SNFC Rennes (582 miles). The
following year his daughter 54T2652 won 20 th section 28 th open SNFC Nantes (642 miles). These two birds
formed the foundation of my loft, as it was from 2652 that I bred 58T2366, the good producer hen.
To the novice, I would say ---get the best of the family that you choose to cultivate. Race the youngsters
from them out to the last yb race, your yearlings to the 400 miles stage, and two- and three-year-olds to 500
and 600 miles. If you adopt this system, you may have a lot of losses, but the birds you are left with will be
the birds that have adapted themselves to your management, and the ones that you are interested in. The
sport is too keen and the food too dear nowadays, to play the waiting game.
If you class all your birds as equal and have not favourites, you will find you will have not problems with
over-crowding for some years. One thing you will have, is a loft of pigeon which will do well for you in the
longer races.
As for feeding, I prefer a mixture, but it is up to the individual to choose what he thinks is best. Once
chosen, stick to your method of feeding, and the birds will adapt themselves to it. Also, give you birds credit
to having some brains, as you can try and mee them half-way by ‘thinking pigeon’ you will have gone a
long way in solving the mystery of the racing pigeon, and how it will battle on to the last to reach its loft, it’s
nest or its perch from the extreme distances.
To go back to my Palamos bird, ‘Betty’s Delight’ credit must go to Alan Taylor of Dundee, who bred her
from a red hen 2366 which I myself bred. This bird along with a cock was given to me by my good friend
John Ellis when he started keeping pigeons. He, in turn, gave this pair to Alan Taylor, who as a friend of
John’s when he started up with the birds.
It was with Alan that 2366 proved her worth as a producer, breeding many winners right through to
Palamos. It was a grandson of 2366 which was 2 nd to ‘Betty’s Delight’ for Alan Taylor. When Alan moved to
his present address, he gave me back 2366 and a youngster bred from her. This turned out to be ‘Betty’s
Delight’. Thus, proving that if you start with the right tools, it’s half the battle. To be a successful fancier
you have to be dedicated, it’s not just a hobby, more a way of life.
I have attached a photo of Bert Stewart; plus ‘Betty’s Delight’ and ‘Blue Cloud’ to go with Berts story.

Gourdon & District RPC Annual Open Show

Received a request from Margaret Hey of the above club asking if I could inform fanciers that the above
club open show will be held on 26 th of November in the Masonic Hall, King Street in Inverbervie. With
penning from 9-00 am to 10-30 am and judging will commence at 11-30 PROMPT. Entries are £1.00 per

bird. With prize money £20.00 i.e., 1 st £10.00 2 nd £6.00 & 3 rd £4.00. Teas and coffees, bacon rolls, sausage
rolls and dumpling. Raffle and sale of 2024 young birds. Classes are as Follows; Class 1- AACTW; Class 2-
AAHTW; Class 3-LOC; Class 4- LOH; Class 5-LYC; Class 6- LYH; Class 7- EYESIGN This can be
duplicated. (to be decided) Entries to David Hay snr 01561 361526 or David Hay jnr 01561361588. Entries
close Friday 24 th November at 10.00pm. Late entries if pens available. Thank you very much Joe; this is
greatly appreciated; kind regards Margaret Hay.

Letters

Firstly, I would like to thank all the people who have contacted me regrading my column and for the support
in my ‘Joe’s Joke’ fun part. I did not realise how many people obtained enjoyment from this little snippet.
However, it seems that many people obviously did and are happy that it has now returned to my column.
I found this letter amongst one of my files this week so I apologise to A Rosbottom for not adding it sooner
to my column; He wrote; ‘Dear Joe, I first had pigeons as a 6-year-old in 1941 and with the exception of
Army Service have had the BHW every week. I have along with my late friends Steve Spinks and ‘Mike on
the Hill, wrote numerous letters to the editor and articles with the sole purpose of improving and ensuring
the future of the sport. There have been many debates on many aspects through the letters page and gave
fanciers the chance to express their feelings. Also used Joe’s Joke to liven things up every week. After 80
years of interest and mainly participation in our sport it appears ‘No Letters Page and No Joe’s Joke’. Have
people with no sense of humour taken over Joe????? Kind regards to you A Rosbottom.
I also received a letter from Graham Dalgliesh of Ecclefechan who forwarded me a photo of his Dewar
Trophy winning hen ‘Ashgrove Elaine’ which I appreciate very much. Graham was sorry that he did not
have a photo of himself and his son being presented with the trophy, however he does remember one being
taken. My thanks to Graham for his kindness and support.
Another letter through the post this time from Bob Noble from Plymouth who wrote; ‘Dear Joe, I hope you
don’t mind me calling you Joe, but I feel as if I know you as I have read and enjoyed your column. I also
admired your work to promote pigeon fanciers and their pigeons, even with problems and your own grief
and I feel for you and your wife Margaret and your family.
I’m an ex-fancier, having to give them up in 1990 after meeting my 2 nd wife to be and with her suffering a
major illness a the end of that year. I had no choice. As they say ‘Once a fancier always a fancier’. I still
receive the BHW and still scan the skies looking for racers. In my time I have been secretary of clubs,
secretary treasure of a federation and even assisted in a bit of convoying. Ther are still in my blood!!!!
The cuttings I have enclosed go back a long way but. when I lost my wife in December 2018. Before she fell
so ill, I used to get some of the Joe’s Jokes and when friends came over and we all had a good laugh,
Unfortunately no more.
Please accept my belated condolences in regard to your son Kevin, my best wishes to you all and more
power to you elbow. I know pigeon fanciers from my day can be difficult at times (and even now I believe)
and sometimes hard to understand. Yours Sincerely, Bob Noble; PS I hope the jokes can return.
Received another letter this time from Rosemay Smith who wrote; ‘Dear Joe, I was very very pleased when
my husband showed me the comment about your Jokes in the last edition of the ‘Homing World’. You may
recall that I have written to you in the past to say that I read your jokes out to the members of the MS
Exercise Class on a Friday morning at the end of the session. Everyone went home with a smile on their
face.
When the new type magazine came out, it was a disappointment not to have your joke to tell. Some years
ago my sone gave me a joke book called ‘Yorkshire Wit and Humour’ this has kept me going for some time
but our members has given me a page of joke which I cannot imagine they could be classed as ‘Copy-
Write’.

As you are asking for ‘Clean Jokes’, I am sending you a copy and hope they may be used. Best Wishes
Rosemary Smith. I wish to thank all the above fanciers very much for their letters and the jokes. I’m
privileged to know so many people enjoyed my column plus ‘Joe’s Joke’ I know that some are a bit old but if
it puts a smile on one face then it has been worthwhile.
Joe’s Joke

The wife was counting all the 5ps and 10ps out on the kitchen table when she suddenly got very angry and
started shouting and crying for no reason. I thought to myself, ‘She’s going through the change’.

Joke 2

Subject; Satnavs.
I have a little Satnav, it sits there in my car; a Satnav is a driver’s friend, it tells you where you are.
I have a little Satnav, I’ve had it all my life, it’s better than the normal ones, my Satnav is my wife.
It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive; ‘It’s sixty miles an hour’, it says, ‘You’re doing sixty-
five.’
It tells me when to stop and start, and when to use the brake. And tells me that it’s never ever, safe to
overtake.
It tells me when a light is red, and when it goes to green. It seems to know instinctively, just when to
intervene.
It lists the vehicles just in front, and all those to the rear. And taking this into account, it specifies the gear.
I’m sure no other driver, has so helpful a device, For when we leave and lock the car, it still gives it’s advice.
It fills me up with counselling, each journey pretty fraught. So, why don’t I exchange it, and get a quieter
sort?
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, makes sure I’m properly fed. It washes all my shirts and things, and
keeps me warm in bed!!
Despite all these advantages, and my tendency to scoff, I only wish that now and then, I could turn the
bugger off.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue
Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com
REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk
www.pigeon-chat.co.uk who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

?ui=2&ik=63c3bf02a6&attid=0.2&permmsgid=

?ui=2&ik=63c3bf02a6&attid=0.3&permmsgid=

?ui=2&ik=63c3bf02a6&attid=0.4&permmsgid=

?ui=2&ik=63c3bf02a6&attid=0.5&permmsgid=