Canker Strains

Guest IB

At the end of the day what we need to know is a) when our birds have this disease, B) what does it do to them if they have it and c) how do we prevent it attacking our birds. The scientific stuff is interesting but does not help the practical Fancier at all. There are plenty of Barack Room Vets out there who want to impress the rest of us but they might not know all they think they do. Dangerous stuff I say. I have been lucky because I can see canker in the microscope and when I treat it I check again to make sure it is gone. Not many Vets do this.

Just recently someone had a problem with his youngsters after they had received a dose of Flagyl. It seemed obvious that he had given them too high a dose and caused them to become ill. To me this seems to be a case of someone getting it wrong through being mislead or wrongly advised. I doubt that this guy would have got into trouble if he could have had access to accurate and proper information. Although I think we all owe it to ourselves to try to learn all we can about pigeons and their illnesses I think that we play a dangerous game when we listen to the local so called expert. So much of the information we see on a Forum like this has been written by people who really don't know what they are talking about. Better to deal with a good avian Vet.

• 1 month later...

At the end of the day what we need to know is a) when our birds have this disease, B) what does it do to them if they have it and c) how do we prevent it attacking our birds. The scientific stuff is interesting but does not help the practical Fancier at all. There are plenty of Barack Room Vets out there who want to impress the rest of us but they might not know all they think they do. Dangerous stuff I say. I have been lucky because I can see canker in the microscope and when I treat it I check again to make sure it is gone. Not many Vets do this.

Just recently someone had a problem with his youngsters after they had received a dose of Flagyl. It seemed obvious that he had given them too high a dose and caused them to become ill. To me this seems to be a case of someone getting it wrong through being mislead or wrongly advised. I doubt that this guy would have got into trouble if he could have had access to accurate and proper information. Although I think we all owe it to ourselves to try to learn all we can about pigeons and their illnesses I think that we play a dangerous game when we listen to the local so called expert. So much of the information we see on a Forum like this has been written by people who really don't know what they are talking about. Better to deal with a good avian Vet.

you may be correct owen,but vets outragious charges and obvious very poor knowledge of racing pigeons and their problems leads majority of fanciers to shotgun blindly,can you really blame these lads owen?

tommy2

I totally agree with you. The problem we face is that most Vets are trying to become millionaires over night and some of the service they provide us pigeon fanciers is really poor.

I am sure they are just as bad with the dog and cat people but as most of them are badly informed they get away with it. I think that the worst thing I find is that they have the arrogance to talk down to people and tell rather than advise people as to what to do with their pets. I made a promise to myself years ago. I do not let any of those professionals, Doctors, Lawyers, or Vets say or do anything unless I agree. I think that the moment that you let them make decisions you will be in trouble.

I have spent a lot of time and effort to learn how to manage my animals and birds health and it has paid me many times over. Probably the best things I have learned is lambing and calving followed by the use of the microscope. In regard to pigeons I have found that providing that you give them the right loft conditions, sunlight and a rising current of air flowing up through the loft they remain remarkably healthy. I believe that as long as you remember that the worst enemy of a pigeon is another pigeon you will be OK most of the time. Probably the most important skill of any livestock manager is the ability to observe and pick up what is going on under the surface because all livestock will hide their true condition if they feel ill or have sustained an injury. It is a basic instinct to prevent predators form discovering a weakness.