Hair Worm

Guest bigda

i think they will be ok mate, sell by date for tablets if kept dry i dont see a problem with if you use them take a few droppings in a jam jar just now use tepid water you will see them wriggle about if you put a spot on ink in the water then give the birds the tabs then after 3 days check new droppings

I think this too serious to trust to dodgy meds. If it was a vet that diagnosed hairworm he should be able to prescribe a one-day treatment, or try one of the over-the-counter meds containing levamisole, like Harkaverm, which was 3 days in the water when I used it a few years ago.

Last time I had it, vet prescribed a one-day treatment, followed by a further droppings sample 3 clear days after treatment ended to test again and prove the treatment has worked.

Either way, you've still got time to treat them before the 1st race.

I think this too serious to trust to dodgy meds. If it was a vet that diagnosed hairworm he should be able to prescribe a one-day treatment, or try one of the over-the-counter meds containing levamisole, like Harkaverm, which was 3 days in the water when I used it a few years ago.

Last time I had it, vet prescribed a one-day treatment, followed by a further droppings sample 3 clear days after treatment ended to test again and prove the treatment has worked.

Either way, you've still got time to treat them before the 1st race.

a test 3 days after ian would be of very little use as its not the end of the life cyle as the pigeon passes the eggs if memory serves me correct they can still pick up the eggs which were passed during the treatment i think as far as 7 days could be more and it starts again that why most avian vets will recomend a test 2 weeks after or a follow up treatment

the advanage of moxi is it kills lice etc too

a test 3 days after ian would be of very little use as its not the end of the life cyle as the pigeon passes the eggs if memory serves me correct they can still pick up the eggs which were passed during the treatment i think as far as 7 days could be more and it starts again that why most avian vets will recomend a test 2 weeks after or a follow up treatment

the advanage of moxi is it kills lice etc too

Checked my records 2008 – 2012 and got it just a wee bit mixed up in my last post. Apologies for that. So here’s the true script as-is, from my notes.

Story starts back in 2007 when I sent for a test kit during OB racing and sent off droppings sample and throat swab to an address in BHW. Came back: worms & Hexamita - Clear; touch of respiratory - 7 day treatment, touch of cocci – 2 day treatment. £12.50 for test. £50 for meds. Standing at my back door the day my birds were diagnosed, watching them exercise, little dots high in the sky, and fleeting thought passed over my mind that ‘birds with respiratory don’t fly like that’. Anyway, stopped the birds for 2 weeks on 31st May 2007. Told my Club Secy what had happened, and that I’d miss next 2 races. Speaking to clubmates later, seems diagnosis from this guy is always same, ‘touch of cocci and touch of respiratory’. Felt I’d been stung and vowed I’d never be caught ‘with a health problem’ in the middle of racing season again. And the dropped birds that made me think I’d a health problem later worked back, injured. So started testing during off-season (took lead set by Dr Phillip Lynch at one of our moots, that’s time of year when he tests)

Jan / Feb 2008: I sent off a droppings sample to David Parsons, a free deal with his new DVD I think. Came back low levels Cocci, advised not to treat (fettle immunity). But ‘a few hairworm about’ and advised to treat after breeding and before racing. And repeat 3 weeks later. I’d gone back and looked at the ‘iffy’ droppings and recognized that I had what Wim Peters described in his book as 'glistening' droppings . That’s actually mucous membrane from the gut wall, so went for David Parsons suggestion of Harka-verm (Levamisole) but treated right away, but wasn’t happy repeating treatment, and didn’t.

Dec 2008: Droppings tested with what became my regular vet. He picked up ‘significant’ levels of cocci, serious enough to cause the disease, and he was really surprised they didn’t have it. YB end was moderate levels just the opposite of what he expected to find. 5 day course in drinker, followed by 3 clear days then repeat test. Clear.

Jan 2010: Droppings tested – Hair worm. One day treatment (an ivermectin) and re-test after 3 weeks. Clear.

December 2010 – Droppings tested - Clear.

January 2012 – Droppings tested - Clear.

good post ian you keep great records :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

just be careful with the hair worm they can be difficult to treat for a lot of times 1 treatment is not enough ive seen it in lots of lofts ;) your levels were probably really low

ive did hear about that guy too lol funny thing is every test on birds will show certain levels of cocci and canker and he just seems to be throwing out meds for the fun of it know a guy that was given similar results his birds were in banging form and he sent them with so called respiratory he went on i think to take the fed and put 7 birds in the top 20 he changed his vet that week only to find out that his birds were bang on the button ;)

good post ian you keep great records :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

just be careful with the hair worm they can be difficult to treat for a lot of times 1 treatment is not enough ive seen it in lots of lofts ;) your levels were probably really low

I'd gone 6 years without testing relying upon hygiene, tea with 3 worm-expellers as ingredients, and garlic. I started bringing birds in around 2007 and I reckon I brought the problem in.

I note what you say in your last post about lifecycle. Passed eggs are not infective. They have to develop for 7 to 10 days in the environment first, and they need moisture for that. Your birds shouldn't be at risk from your own loft environment if you keep it dry. As for baskets, well race baskets should be disinfected weekly after the race anyway, and spraying your own baskets should kill anything in them.