Panorama

sapper756

As a Depute Manager of a Day Center for adults with a learning disability, I was appalled at last nights Panorama, where an undercover investigator, filmed 13 care staff abusing vulnerable adults in their care. These so called carers, are simply BULLIES & COWARDS!

Undercover reporter 'haunted' by abuse of patients

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53088000/jpg/_53088533_casey464.jpgJoe Casey kept a video diary of his days spent secret filmingJoe Casey spent five weeks filming undercover in a private care hospital on the outskirts of Bristol after getting a job as a support worker. He was shocked by what he witnessed.

My experience at Winterbourne View will stay with me for a very long time.

The hitting, slapping, bullying, dousing with water, cruel and often pointless use of physical restraint on people - many with a child-like understanding of the world - all happened in front of my eyes.

On a near-daily basis, I watched as some of the very people entrusted with the care of society's most vulnerable targeted patients - often, it seemed, for their own amusement. They are scenes of torment that are not easily forgotten.

The targets had no way of defending themselves or speaking out. Anyone who questioned the abuse met a wall of silence.

They spent most of their days locked on the top floor of a three-story non-descript building in a business park on the outskirts of town.http://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0179-headbang.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0179-headbang.gifhttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

I started as a Nursing Assistant in 1981, in a hospital for adults with learning difficulties, i witnessed and spoke out against some rough treatment of the patients from staff who had been in the job for Decades. (NOT nearly to the extent seen on Panorama)

From 1984ish an influx of new Trained staff arrived from other hospitals and there was a marked improvement in all aspects of the patients care and i really thought i had seen the last of mistreatment in these hospitals but it would appear i was wrong. Very very sad state of affairs.

I agree whole heartedly with Lippi that those who witness it and say nothing are equally guilty.

Unfortunately we can be CERTAIN this is still going on Nationwide.

Very distressing to watch, much more so for the families.

I'm very unhappy with the time the undercover worker spent on his assignment - 5 weeks - which suggests to me that Panorama's objective was making their TV programme, rather than finding out what was going on in that Care Centre and ending the patients' suffering as soon as he had witnessed abuses / serious assaults. It didn't take 5 weeks for these to surface. :mad:

Guest Owen

I was shocked at what I saw, like a lot of others but I couldn't help thinking that there are a lot of people who should share the blame. Other Care Workers and Managers, for sure, but what about the families who failed to keep a check on their loved ones. Then there are the Doctors and Nurses from outside the Home because they must have seen things and walked passed. Then there are the visitors both professional and family, who chose to look the other way. The whole thing is rotten from top to bottom.

I have seen plenty of abuse by neglect. On one occasion I went to a house and found a man collapsed on the floor inside. He had been there all night and was freezing cold and and in a terrible state. I phoned the Ambulance and they took him to the Hospital. When I phoned late in the day they had discharged him to go back to a cold house that was in a filthy condition. He lived alone and had suffered a broken should some time before. I went ballistic. I phone everybody about it. Counselors, Social Workers, The MP and everybody and anybody. I threatened them with going to the Newspapers and the News Media.

Eventually, a team of people cleaned the place up and they appointed Carers and a Social Worker to look after the Old Chap. I called in every week for quite a long time and in fairness the Old Fellow was being looked after to a very high standard. My problem is and was, why did it take a huge row to get people to do what any decent human should do anyway. I reckon that what we see is just the tip of the iceberg.