Yb Loft Front?

andrecrock

Hi all,

I managed to convince my landlord that i need a bigger loft and so ended up with a 12x6 for the young birds.I have also decided to go for a unicon ets system. What sort of front would be most suitable for the youngens keeping in mind ets clocking? I have got two 3ft x 12 inch vents for front bottom,with a 6inch gap in the back all the way along the top covered with mesh for ventilation.I got a side door.

Any ideas? Or pic's will be greatly appreciated.

The best trapping system and loft for youngsters is the American Starter Loft. You can Google it and you will see plenty of pictures of variations on the theme and there are a good set of drawings to help you.

One modification I have found valuable is in the vents situated below the aviary. I have fitted mine with sliding wire netting frames so that I can use these vents for basket loading. I have also found that they are ideal for letting the youngsters walk out and back in before they can fly. This avoids the risk of youngsters taking off in confusion and having nights out before they can handle it.

My loft is exactly to the drawing with the following mods. My loft is 16'x6' with an Onduline roof and 4, 25"x12" openings below the traps fitted with wire mesh slide out frames. These are fitted along the bottem below the traps. I will build a frame outside the loft to take training crates so that the birds can learn to drink in the crates as a matter of course. When the youngsters are still very young and before they learn to fly, I will place plywood sheets onto the frame and allow them to walk in and out of the loft through the vent holes to get them used to going in and out of the loft. This will also help in stopping the fluttering that youngsters often do when they attempt to find their way back inside. I am sure that the Sparrow Hawkes are attracted by this fluttering and the less it happens the better it seems to me.

I tried the trapping system out on another loft before I commited myself to the idea. It worked brilliantly. The pigeons did not like landing onto the wire floor of the aviary so I placed a tray inside measuring 19"x8", it is made of plywood and is roughly the size of an ETS pad. The birds can not land on the roof of the loft and can not hang about on the landing board, so they have to land inside the aviary. When they realised that the tray was there they quickly worked out that it is easier for them to land on it. Obviously, the tray can be replaced by an ETS pad and the birds will land straight on it out of the air. With a bit of training, the birds trap quicker than any other way I have seen. Providing that the birds are confident and properly trained to trap, there is no quicker way to clock them. At the moment I have not used this loft for racing, but I am really looking forward to working with it.

Thank you Owen and all other reply's. Seems a good idea no doubt. The shed i got is already up with onduline roof and side door.I got the same as Owen a opening at were the basket fits were birds learn to drink from and also to assist when training starts.I was just wondering along the lines of open front meaning dowels? or maybe perspex that you cant see trough with ets trap situated in middle with fly out just underneath? I was also thinking about splitting them up when training starts to try a bit of motivation? This will complicate things with the trap,unless i trap all trough the same trap and split them up after?