Fancy Pigeons as Pets?

Jim McArthur

I want to get started in pigeons but don't know with what kind. I won't have the time or space for but a couple of pigeons, and at this point at least, don't plan to race them. I want a couple of pigeons in a small and simple loft in the backyard: they will basically be pets, but I don't want them permanently confined: I want them to fly for exercise, even if it's only to toss them in the air from next to the loft and let them circle the yard.

Would fancies fill the bill, do you think? Any recommendations as to type?

Jim

Jim,

Rollers would probably be your best bet. they are small and hardy. They can live in a small enclosure. I have 22 in a 4x4x3 kitbox. Get two pairs from a notable fancier. Nothing high powered but decent. In a season you can fill the kitbox or not. 10-12 is a good number for rollers to put on a show.

They can be tame and to be pets.Depends on how much you handle them. I have one in my living room. He was disheveled to extreme by my dog. Isn`t hurt,just lost a lot of feathers. He sits around with me and is quite tame to the touch after a couple of weeks. Good luck with whatever you choose. Use this as a guideline no matter what performing breed you get.

JUST HAVE FUN!

Jim,

Rollers would probably be your best bet. they are small and hardy. They can live in a small enclosure. I have 22 in a 4x4x3 kitbox. Get two pairs from a notable fancier. Nothing high powered but decent. In a season you can fill the kitbox or not. 10-12 is a good number for rollers to put on a show.

They can be tame and to be pets.Depends on how much you handle them. I have one in my living room. He was disheveled to extreme by my dog. Isn`t hurt,just lost a lot of feathers. He sits around with me and is quite tame to the touch after a couple of weeks. Good luck with whatever you choose. Use this as a guideline no matter what performing breed you get.

JUST HAVE FUN!

Velo, by a "kitbox", do you mean that is their regular home? Sounds crowded, but what do I know, I'm not a pigeon keeper (yet).

It must be cute having that little guy in the living room! I have a chihuahua and three cats, so couldn't do that.  :(

Will just two rollers perform if you toss them from their loft?

Jim

Jim,

The kitbox is thier quarters. Not really cramped. Each bird usually has "his perch" in the kitbox. I compete with my rollers and having them in this type of environment keeps them settled down and not wasting energy trying to breed or fight over a hen. It is kinda hard on the hens to roll with an egg inside them. It has a tendency to turn their parts inside out. So there is a reason we keep them in the kitbox. I have seperate breeding facilities from my flyers.

You can use what ever size box you would like depending on the amount of birds you want to keep. I would think the minimum you would want to fly is six.

Another thought. You can also train them to a portable box and take them with you when you go out and about. Most of the portable flyers use 6-10 birds.

Do a little research on them.They are a smallish bird,10-12 0zs. you can pack them in pretty tight of you let them fly every day or two and keep it clean.

Whatever you do have fun!!

yits

hi jim

what you are planning is exactly what i do, i have a small lost of 12 fancy pigeons that i keep as pets, i have a couple of west of englands some indian fans one exhibition fan and the rest are a mix of the above  :D. i let them out most days, but they rarely leave the garden, cleaning then out and feeding them and generally having them around gives me a lot of joy.

so i say go for it, and maybe have a few breeds.

hi jim

what you are planning is exactly what i do, i have a small lost of 12 fancy pigeons that i keep as pets, i have a couple of west of englands some indian fans one exhibition fan and the rest are a mix of the above  :D. i let them out most days, but they rarely leave the garden, cleaning then out and feeding them and generally having them around gives me a lot of joy.

so i say go for it, and maybe have a few breeds.

That does sound like what I plan to do, Samantha!

I take it they won't interbreed - or breed at all - in such close quarters?

Jim

Jim

Erm....WRONG!! ;D ;D  They'll interbreed.... and breed.... and breed.... and breed given chance!! ;D ;D

You'll have to watch for them laying eggs and them replace the eggs with pot eggs. They sit on the pot eggs till they realise they're not going to hatch, come off them for a few days then lay again!

I started with garden fantails in a dovecote - they make great pets - very easy to tame, don't wander too far, quite independent - just leave clean water out and throw out seed once a day. You don't need to remember to close them in at night and they don't need cleaning out more than a few times a year!!  On the other hand, although they do fly around the house, you won't get the displays you would from a roller or tumbler! ;)

Jim,

Where are you at? If you`re in the States I can help you out in a few weeks when I pair up. I have some mostly white ones that will be looking for a new home. I know they will roll with just 5-6. Nothing wrong with them I just have too many whites and will need some perch space for the upcoming season.

Lemme know.

yits

Velo, I live in New Orleans, Louisiana, and could take you up on your offer when my new house is ready! We are scheduled for Act of Sale (Closing) on December 19, and plan to move from our present location as soon as we can, after Christmas. We will have a big backyard and a porch that we want to screen in.

Looks as though I might be ready for pigeons about the time yours would be ready!

Where are you located?

Jim

Jim ,

I am in Amarillo Tx. An easy ship for the birds. Take 24-36 hours.

The Big Easy. I was been there a time or two when I lived in Vicksbursg Ms.

Click on my link and I have a contact link on the main page of my site. We can stay in touch til I get ready to send them and you get ready to have them.

Check out my small operation. You can get an idea as to properties you will need to keep pigeons. They really are great birds. easy to keep . I am just a freak for my birds. LOL

yits

Jim

yes jim they will and do breed and interbreed!! constantly its all they think of, part from food  ::) lol, but they will only interbreed if they happen to pair up themselves with the wrong kind, best thing to avoid that is buy them as pairs in the first place, then even if you have a mix in there,(your loft)  they will stick to there partner.

i dont mind mine pairing up with the wrong sort, i have had the odd mixbreed accident but i usually take the eggs away soon after they are layed and replace them with a dummy egg, to keep my numbers down and to insure that im not breeding too many mixed bred birds.

hope this helps  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Jim ,

I am in Amarillo Tx. An easy ship for the birds. Take 24-36 hours.

The Big Easy. I was been there a time or two when I lived in Vicksbursg Ms.

Click on my link and I have a contact link on the main page of my site. We can stay in touch til I get ready to send them and you get ready to have them.

Check out my small operation. You can get an idea as to properties you will need to keep pigeons. They really are great birds. easy to keep . I am just a freak for my birds. LOL

yits

Not so easy here post-Katrina, I'm afraid.  :'( But, good news for me is that we finally closed on our new house! I will have a big and beautiful back yard, and enough space for some pigeons!  ;) We'll be moving over the next few weeks.

Jim

Sammy,

The rule of thumb is one tablespoon per bird of approximately 10-12 percent seed/feed. One cup per ten birds. This will get them to fly for roughly 1 hour depending on your birds and conditions.

If you have young ones,fly them every day til they start rolling then cut them back to every other day. This will improve their performance. I have 2 kits so can I fly one everyday conditions permitting.

fanks fur that m8 but i was only asking used to keep them long time ago but jusy like to keep an interest in them maybe some day will build wee loft and git some cheers