Getting kids interested

AlanWilkins

As we all know pigeon racing is no longer a young mans (or womens) sport and we need the kids to show interest or the sport could die out.  With that in mind, the last few week might interest any flyers that have young children a digital camera and 10 minutes every few days.

My daughter Catherine (age 6) is interested in the birds; just helping out here and there and playing with the young in the nest, so when this years young began to chip it was no suprise when she said "can i take a shell to school for show and tell?". So on the Friday, off she went with shell in hand.

Over the weekend I was told how many of the children were interested in what the chick looked like so for a quiet life, camera in hand, off to the loft I went; 2 pictures of the parents and 2 of the chicks.

After a converation with the teacher I am now updating the pictures weekly and rung the squabs for the Lye and District ring race with the class running a project following the birds life to the race and even a class competition to name the birds. How simple can it be? A few pictures, a nest bowl with tobacco stalks in, a pot with corn and a few old rings and now I get mobbed on a Monday morning by 55 children wanting to know what is new with the birds.

I just hope this might give 1 or 2 more dads the idea too, for over your kids school, who knows if we plant the idea in their heads, in years to come they may start up themselves.

That is wonderful Alan!!!! You are SO right, we need to do more things like what you are doing. I know our club is thrilled to have 3 Jr members flying this year. So we are having special Jr awards and a seperate race sheet so they won't get discouraged. We definatly need to promote youngsters in our dieing sport.

Carol

Thats a good point Rose. In our club we, the 50 or so YO flyers, were once considered the young ones in the club. The older guys really drug their feet about ETS. But in the end they realized it was us they needed to keep happy as there years left in pigeon racing are few. They realized to keep the sport and our club alive they must change with the times and the wishes of the younger flyers. Now that we have three Jr members about 12 OY, I really want to keep them happy and nurture their interests in pigeons. Besides special awards for them we are now incorporating a speaker into each meeting to learn more about pigeons and keeping a healthy flock. Last year we only had 2 Jr's and it spread to a friend so maybe it will keep spreading to their friends.

Yours in the sport.

Carol

I agree totaly

& as to westys point i know most old clubs used 2 have a novice trophy as ive recently found an old tin of paper clipping in parents attic  the 3 clubs he belonged to all had one mentioned in there prizegiveng lists.

also in france theres a novice championship run like the sprint , middle distance n long distance ones. maybe the feds in england that run these championship comps could also do a novice one n maybe a junior one as well

just a thought

Hello Astropigeon, are you going to race your birds, I have contacts with the racing pigeon clubs in Seattle.

Please check out our web site www.redroselofts.com loads of tips for beginners and details of The American Racing Pigeon Unions Help a Beginner Programme

I agree totaly

& as to westys point i know most old clubs used 2 have a novice trophy as ive recently found an old tin of paper clipping in parents attic  the 3 clubs he belonged to all had one mentioned in there prizegiveng lists.

also in france theres a novice championship run like the sprint , middle distance n long distance ones. maybe the feds in england that run these championship comps could also do a novice one n maybe a junior one as well

just a thought

yes pc i agree to they should

alan

I applaud your efforts and it is a great thing you are doing for the school and maybe you might plant a seed or two.

You only have to look around Blackpool to see the age of our fanciers now. At 33 i am a young un in pigeon terms.

Personally and this is my own opinion based on my situation. I feel it is the older generation we should be looking to recruit... This may seem odd but a young girl or boy will enjoy the sport for a few season then probably leave due to school university and work, this will probably plant the seed and maybe they will come back.

Nowadays both parents have to work to get on, and in alot of situations it is they are on alternate shifts beacuse of children.. Now to enable to race pigeons well you have to put the time in and to be able to put the time in you need to have it in the first place. children especially young are demanding and they have their interests aswell which sometimes clash with sat liberations. then you have two choices let them do their activities or say no because of the birds, then the children resent the birds as they stop them doing what they want.

Once the children are grown up and can do their own activities instead of being taken to them then you have more time for the birds. As I said earlier this is only my humble opinion but based on my experiences pigeon racing will be  alot easier and i will be able to compete more in a few years time. If the systems dont change then the children if coaxed into the sport will leave. pigeon racing is the only sport where novices compete against the best on a level field, a 12 year old will race against someone with 45 years experience, the working man against the unemployed or rich person who does not have to work. In my eyes it is one of the best sports/ hobbies you can compete in but one of the most unfair.

Alan once again keep it up as one of those kids may take up the sport and the bug will be set then.

john