PEDIGREES

T_T

Ummmm Pedigrees!!!!!!, most of the flyers I have met in America think more of the pedigree than anything else.  I have actually seen people drool over these pieces of paper while the bird that came with them, usually from some Salford Van Hire are rubbish.

You can't fly paper, the basket will decide.  I have a pigeon, Studley the Logo bird on our Website, the poor old lad ain't got a pedigree but produces us winner after winner, but I can't get thirty bob for his kids due to the lack of pedigree.

Pedigrees can be used in selection, just as can eyesign and body conformation, but to me they are useless bits of paper especially if the breeder breeds in an open loft and not separate breeding pens

A lad who breeds me pigeons, gave me a copy of the pedigrees he got when he purchased the parents and they go back to 1976 with 4 generation of winners in-between. These stock have produced numerous winners for him and hopefully this year and in the future they will win for me. Its interesting to see what their off but I would rather just know that the parents had bred winners and what distance they were winning from, then test them to see if they will do well at the distance.

I cant understand why people buy some pigeons just because they are through a certain fancier, I went to my first sale last year and I knew the lad and his birds that were for sale and he was just as amazed as me that some of the birds were going for £500-600 pounds, birds that hadnt bred anything. It made me smile because some birds that were going for £800-1000, he had given me birds the same way bred for nowt.

Guest slugmonkey

When a pedigree is used for the right purpose it is a useful tool most see it as a garantee of heritage and performance when in fact it should be used to look at how birds were bred from the previous owners I look for " common denominators " between this bird and other great birds from the same lines and then try to locate others of similiar breeding and then put these birds back together for stock

Indeed snowy,

Unless Pigeons are bred in individual pens, no pigeon seller can guarantee the buyer is getting what is on the pedigree.

There are one or two "scam Merchants" in the states who e-mail you and ask you to fax them a copy of one of your top birds pedigrees., some people have fallen for it and flyers have bought grossly falsified pedigrees.

We have a seal we impress on our peds, if it don't have the seal its not a genuine ped for birds bred in individual pens

;D ;D ;D i think that dna should be put on most pedigrees[ D.o N.ot A.gree ] I BELEIVE MOST PEDIGREES GIVEN BY UNSCRUPULOUS SELLERS ARE FALSE

i agree with pedigrees from genuine fanciers or freinds, for the reason of keeping tabs with the breeding, and for your own use only, ie  how close are you breeding , what pairs are producing.or what combination are breeding the best,etc  :) :) :)

Guest Silverwings
Can't disagree with you there Jimmy.  I also think pedigrees are essential if you want to follow the line of a particular family.   Nothing can be left to memory.

On the button T-T allways check the log book on a new car dont we ? nice to see that any new bird we bring in has the right background ,and the person we get them from can find the time to maintain the records ,adds to the interest factor too ! .....ray