The dividing points..

Hamster Girl

What exactly is the difference between a fantail and a Garden Fantail. the fellow I tried to buy from told me that he had fantails - but they were either Indian Fantails, or were blue coloured fantails.

Not that I'm against Indians, I just don't like the crest - and there atleast 10-15 at our county fair - and so was hoping for something a little different.

And, while I'm at it, does anyone have Magpies? If so, can you link up photo's, so I can compare what you have to what I saw at his place?

Please and thank you!

in my post i was mixed up with the indian and the exhibition, could the bird on the left of ur pic of garden fantails not be a cross of a indian and a garden, just looking at its tail,

Your right Fifer

Its more than possible its a cross :) was only looking at one on the right ;D

Good pics Steph, one you cross them they come out with all or any of the the variations, quif on head, feather feet, icicle tails, posture

We have ones that on nest mate has feathered feet the other nest mate has the quif

Same old argument about true breeding of types there is none, just what we develope them into, only have big tails because we make them that way through selective breeding

The one on the left has no quif or feathered feet, it would have been considered a cracking Garden Fantail in the past.

The one on the right is now more like a garden fantail of late, as not as many people keeping them and the large tail being lost through natural elements, hawks take the ones with the big tails first as they are easier to catch, so through time the straighter tails survive naturally

can you tell me what the second one down is  as i think that is a cracker wouldnt mind getting a pair of them do you know where i can get them please yours in sport shalis lofts  ::)

We have some we will be breeding next year, hopefully pure whites, or do you want a particular colour, the one in the pic is a saddleback :)

Thank you all for the help and images!

I've just been thinking of future investments for showing at Fair or even introducing as dove releases.. I know the standard has been for regular "homer" whites, but I was thinking fantails would be a jolly change.

Gratzi and adieu.

Fantails would be nice at a wedding but the only thing there is they will not come home like your homers, you would have to catch them again and take them home. Which I think is too much hassle at a wedding.

Fantails would be nice at a wedding but the only thing there is they will not come home like your homers, you would have to catch them again and take them home. Which I think is too much hassle at a wedding.

=/ Ick. No, I agree.. No one wants to chase pretty birds at a wedding, it takes the focus of the day and shifts it. Homers I shall remain!

As time goes by, likely I will be expanding my flock - is there any other type of bird one would suggest? Specifically I'm looking for white-types, but I would like ones that easily learn the way home and such - without a terribly large hassle.

So I guess that question is, is there any one specific bred of bird that learns homing moreso than another? I've seen a lot of posts about Logans - but that doesn't mean anything to me, as I would say I am little more than a newbie at the differentiation of breeds and such. Specifically, I know about WoE's - enough to win some plaques..placks?.. at fair - as well as a belt buckle. (hooray!)

Thank you all for the help and images!

I've just been thinking of future investments for showing at Fair or even introducing as dove releases.. I know the standard has been for regular "homer" whites, but I was thinking fantails would be a jolly change.

Gratzi and adieu.

Garden fantails are no good for releases, general rule the bigger the tail, the more the homing instinct has been bred out of them. We had an exhibition that if it went about 100 yards away it was lost :-/