weaning

DERMOT

i dont think they should be moved until covered under the wing. i leave them to this stage, as i would rather leave them there for the extra 5- 7 days to make sure they are eating on their own and are not going to go 'backwards'

Don't basically put a time on it: watch feathering-up as others have posted but more important for me is that the bird is mobile & eating & drinking in the nest box, and taking an active interest in everything that is going on around it.

I've found they'll leave the box themselves when they're ready. Then they're shifted to the young bird end, and they never 'go back'.

24/7 hopper fed until they're all eating as a group (10-14 days) then control training is started. The 24/7 hopper is stopped & the birds are fed twice a day, called down from their perches / into the section - they can hear & see me filling the hopper - and within 7/8 days they're coming at that sound, or just the sound of my voice calling them down or in.