Modena's

883girl

So if they are small white tumblers, these would be okay for dove releases? :-/

not from any distance they tend to stay close to home

you realy need white racing pigeons to make sure they come back most fancy breeds have poor homing instinct

Hi, just a point - i think the photo's i've put on are a bit misleading.  The new stock is not as small as it would appear on the photo's.  There is one huge Logan, which unfortunately is standing next to the new ones and the new one is bending down - so i think they look smaller than they actually are.

They are just a bit smaller than the logans - but their heads, beaks and eyes are smaller than the logans.  Does that give anyone any clues? :-/

Hi, just a point - i think the photo's i've put on are a bit misleading.  The new stock is not as small as it would appear on the photo's.  There is one huge Logan, which unfortunately is standing next to the new ones and the new one is bending down - so i think they look smaller than they actually are.

They are just a bit smaller than the logans - but their heads, beaks and eyes are smaller than the logans.  Does that give anyone any clues? :-/

Aye you ;D ;D ;D Post better pics for us to comment on :-/

I was looking at the photos here.. and am now confused.

Though the man told me they were homing pigeons, my pair of whites look like the Logans here in the second photo. The same cere (wattle?) tone, chalky-white, and the tiny feathering a little up the bottom of the beak.. Although not quite as far as is seen in photo two..

I'll try and get some clear photo's of them on Thursday, maybe even tomorrow..

Guest TAMMY_1
Hi, i have a feeling that the last 6 white hens i have been given are Modena's.  I will take a photo and post on this site at the weekend.  I have logans, but these are smaller, with smaller heads and eyes and beaks.  

My question is are Modena's able to fly about 50 mile's, do they have the homing instinct of racing pigeons.  

Oh and finally what would happen if a logan and a modena mated??????  (yes i know there would be eggs) but would the resulting bird be any use for dove release???? ::)

can fly for miles (if u drop them out an aeroplane ) ;D ;D

50 miles is costly on fuel so your dove release idea sould get you more than enough localy if you do it right. White doves with straight tails have been around a long time, if they have good strong bodys try them as the homing instinct is still strong even some fancy pigeons fly well, a Long Faced Tumbler in 1962 did 15 miles after I gave it away. As for homers if they would all return home from 50 miles away nobody would lose them, sadly taking them 5 miles away is not always going to get your bird home. :)