what to put in drinker

bren23

hi slatey,, with due respect why just bruno and jimmy  what about saddler ?;D ; ;D

i really think if you look in to it well, your doing more harm than good. ive raced pigeons for more than 50 years, been at the top, club , fed national ,tried many differant things, that was one of them, but found it to be detrimental in the end. i honestly beleive most fanciers would agree with that, but as the saying goes , never change a winning system, so i wish you the best of luck :) :) :) and gennuinely no offence meant :)

jimmy/bruno/saddler/rose

This is what i do and i stand by that. But i take what you say on board.

At the moment my ybs have had nothing and will not get nothing until 3 weeks before there first racing, and i mean nothing but fresh water and good beans from weaning to 3 weeks before first race.

rose no weedy sick birds come out of my loft.

i treat ob/ybs in the racing season only thats when they get the best corn also

they get beans the rest of the time.  

slatey as i said b4 no offence meant, but why treat perfectly fit and healthy ybs ,when the racing starts, with antibiotics, or the obs for that matter, antibiotics are used to cure things, so really im at a loss why your trying to cure "nothing", as your birds seem perfectly healthy.

i remember when all birds use to have was corn (prince) & plain water & now look what there is!!! & think most in our club are on all sorts heard things like transform,red cell,detox stuff, and antibotics what are normal flyers like my self to do to compete when all i use is good corn bucktons & gerrie plus with multivits a couple of days along electrolytes on sun

if the constitution was bred in to the birds they wouldnt catch any thing in the basket, but by treating you are lessening their immune system,, i can only go by my own experience, years ago i treated them something similar to you but found after the racing had trouble with respratory etc but again good luck to you, since stopping all that and eliminating any bird that became ill, ifound very few illnesses ocurred

Jimmy - When you go to the doctors with a chest infection what does he give you? antibiotics? Does he test you? Do you take them? If so why? Do you recover quicker with or without the antibiotics? Does this weaken your immunity? If so why have doctors not stopped prescribing antibiotics?

I agree partly with what your saying (a sick bird will never be a good bird) but you have to acknowledge that every bird will be sick at some point - Whether there are visible outward signs is a different matter - I've not seen canker since the early eighties but trust me my birds have had high counts! There is a place for using certain medications.

i see what your saying saddler ,but if i went to the docters  with a chest infection, he probably would give me antibiotics[lets face it their a great discovery, and saved many lifes]but when the doc gives you antibiotics ,hell tell you to take the full dose whether you feel better or not,usually a week, but he will not repeat this many times as exactly you said,as it weakens your immune system , ask any docter and he will tell you that,most docters will only prescribe antibiotics as a last resort in fairly serious cases of chest infection,and you MUST take the full dose.

copy of antibiotics i got for absess in gum after tooth extraction,

label...,

amoxiccillin capsules 250 mg

take one three times daily, take at regular intervals,,COMPLETE THE COURSE

i do take your point in saying,,there is a place for using certain medications, i feel this is a good debate, and worth looking in to

Been round to a club member at the weekend, I was amazed at all of the different potions and lotions on the shelf.There is not one day he is not using something in the water or on the corn, absolute madness. He is never in the top10 but he quotes "there all on it" meaning the rest of the club!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read these posts with interest. for a human to become immune to a certain antibiotic you would have to take it for about 10 years. Where is the evidence to state that you damage the immune system if you treat everyweek. some people use a bleaching agent in their drinking water and there is just agood a chance of the bugs becoming immune to that aswel, how many would stop using these?

looking at the results most weeks you very rarely (not saying never) see a winning bird over three years old.

Distance racing seems to be different older birds do come good from these and only the most ardent birds win. It seems a growing culture that fanciers treat fro this and that and looking at some birds that go in the baskets Is this a wise move?

John

What are peoples thoughts on treating canker every 3-4 weeks during racing then, as the vets recommend. I have started this year alternating using flagyl and turbosole, which I dont think are antibiotics.

I have read these posts with interest. for a human to become immune to a certain antibiotic you would have to take it for about 10 years. Where is the evidence to state that you damage the immune system if you treat everyweek. some people use a bleaching agent in their drinking water and there is just agood a chance of the bugs becoming immune to that aswel, how many would stop using these?

John

Picking up on this part of your post only John.

Don't think it is correct to say that the human (or bird) becomes immune to the antibiotic,,,, its the bacteria that become immune to it.

The evidence is in the two human 'Hospital Superbugs', the better known is MRSA .. a type of bacteria resistant to penicillin-class antibiotics which the immune system also can't deal with,,, namely if it infects you, it can kill you.

and in pigeons, trichomonas has become resistant to most canker treatments, and  some birds immune systems can't keep levels down to numbers that don't cause the body problems ... which is the norm, they've naturally got low levels that normally don't cause them problems.

Posted elsewhere that even medics accept the correct way to treat bacterial infections is with pro-biotics, which WORK WITH the immune system, rather than use antibiotics, WHICH WORK INSTEAD of the immune system.

If the immune system has its job done for it, it will never be chemically programmed to recognise, attack and kill invading microbes. It is therefore quite correct to say that you have damaged the immune system by misusing dangerous substances.

What are peoples thoughts on treating canker every 3-4 weeks during racing then, as the vets recommend. I have started this year alternating using flagyl and turbosole, which I dont think are antibiotics.

flagyl is an antibiotic which is also effective against protozoans. I take my lead from Rose and Jimmy. Both were seriously ill and  were prescribed flagyl and both describe feeling 'really ill' AFTER their treatment with it. If that's how a human feels after treatment [designed for humans] doesn't sound too clever to me to use it on a bird.

Also 'rising canker & cocci levels' are said to point to another problem at work in the bird. Identify & treat the other problem correctly, and the bird's immune system will zap the canker & cocci back to previously safe levels.