BHW SCRIBES

Wiley

If you send an artical to the BHW and you are not one of their scribes,they usually ask their scribe for your area if they would have any objaction about printing it.

But that does not happen if its just a letter for their letters page.

they asked me to write for the london area previously but at the time i was writing for the Rp and decide just to stick at that i have sent this article to both the papers

All about a question of "resource"

The RP gets by with no more than FIVE people on its staff.   Way way way way way less than the BHW.

Perhaps, that is why the RP  is way, way, way so far behind the BHW, regarding popularity and good value. And WHY? WHY? WHY? does such an inferior  pigeon weekly , cost so much more than a  superior one? Vic. ::)

I guess it wasn never even printed as they never even acknowledged receipt of it.

Thanks Archie,  I'm putting an article together at the moment about the Help a Beginner,I'll let you have a copy when it's finished but I think it will be after christmas now

Reply 9  -  Vic.  Obviously you are a novice fancier who has only been in in the sport for a year or so. The "RP" was once THE weekly racing pigeon paper, and the BHW merely a two-page broadsheet when the RPRA stepped in and bought it for a song.  LPW backed it with ALL its advertising, to the total exclusion of the rest of the sport, and since the newspaper (BHW) had now an unlimited pocket to pay its way, it fast started modernising and expanding. Its cost and advertising charges were much cheaper, fixed by the Management Committee, and dedicated to choking the life out of any other publication by grabbing all the revenue going. It succeeded.  All it had to do was pay its way, then when that was achieved, to pay the cost of subsiding the RPRA's expenses, which it still does.  By undercutting the rest of the Fancy Press in price and advertising it effectively destroyed the competition, all of it, barring the "RP".  No need to make a profit, a recipe for success in any sphere.  I believe that the Siamese crook who organised the Lancaster Hotel race a few years ago robbed Rick Osman of around £40,000 by absconding with the funds, leaving Rick to foot the bill. Being an honourable man he did, and ruined himself, that's how the "RP" left its founding family, the Osmans. Nobody who knew the founding family, or the "RP" in its heyday, would dream of calling it 'inferior', no matter how badly its fortunes have fared since. I wonder if the depth of your pocket matches the reckless courage of your comment? Under the new owner of the "RP" (Pigeon Health Ltd) there may now be a new dawn, and that could herald trials for the BHW. You may revise your opinion yet Vic.   Bilco.

Don't want to step on any RP or BHW toes  :)

Felt both papers could learn from each other.

For example the BHW could learn something from RP in quality of newsprint it uses, reckon BHW newsprint feels a bit like toilet paper in comparison.

And while RP could learn something from BHW in attracting advertising, I personally feel there's too much advertising  in BHW ... at this time of year maybe 50% of the paper and rising? ... and too few articles. An awful lot of the BHW simply is not read.

Somehow I suspect those that take both weeklies will leave a lot of both unread.  :)

Don't want to step on any RP or BHW toes  :)

Felt both papers could learn from each other.

For example the BHW could learn something from RP in quality of newsprint it uses, reckon BHW newsprint feels a bit like toilet paper in comparison.

And while RP could learn something from BHW in attracting advertising, I personally feel there's too much advertising  in BHW ... at this time of year maybe 50% of the paper and rising? ... and too few articles. An awful lot of the BHW simply is not read.

Somehow I suspect those that take both weeklies will leave a lot of both unread.  :)

maybe a reason with more adverts than reading for making its pages like tiolet paper,   lol.     i get both but which one do i prefer for reading, the RP.

Hi Fifer, Is this Archie?  Seems to me I have read that "per Mare, per terram" before?  I had two nephews in the Royals, both went on to 'interesting' work elsewhere.   By the way, I agree with you, writers  -  as opposed to reporters  -   make a newspaper readable, and therefore "superior" rather than "inferior", but you might be surprised to discover the number of 'editors' who don't know that basic fact of life. They usually learn after losing their best writers to 'inferior' magazines.  Bill.

Hi Fifer, Is this Archie?  Seems to me I have read that "per Mare, per terram" before?  I had two nephews in the Royals, both went on to 'interesting' work elsewhere.   By the way, I agree with you, writers  -  as opposed to reporters  -   make a newspaper readable, and therefore "superior" rather than "inferior", but you might be surprised to discover the number of 'editors' who don't know that basic fact of life. They usually learn after losing their best writers to 'inferior' magazines.  Bill.

HI BILL NICE TO HEAR FROM U YES ITS ME, STILL GOING ON AND I AGREE WHAT U SAY THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REPORTERS AND WRITERS THE WRITERS MAKE THE PAPER, HOW U DOING, I STILL HAVE THE PHOTO OF U WITH ALL THE RINGS ON THE OLD PIGEON SPORT STAND AT BLACKPOOL,. ALL THE BEST, ARCHIE.

Hi Archie, I still have the memory of that bottle of Bells !  Cheers.  Yes, over 2,000 rings in that collection, all found at Peregrine nests.  I wonder where those rings went in the finish?  Maybe see you again next Jan?  I'll be looking in at the DAZER stand to see how Richard is getting on.  Happy Crimbo old son!

Without us reporters, how would the sales go?

Surely fanciers buy it to see their name in lights for their performances, rather than reading what the Fishing is like down south. Or endorsing products through weekly columns then saying "I gain nothing for mentioning this product"... What a load of crap

Yours a "reporter" if you like

There seems to be quite a few retired or semi-retired fanciers who write for the publications and they usually hark back to the 'good old days'.  I am a memory lane person myself, but we need scribes who will embrace the future of the Sport rather than compare it to yesterday.

For a 'dying' sport there seems to be more money in it than ever before and fanciers of today are prepared to much more time,money & energy into its participation than was the norm in the 'Good old Days'