help, close call, hawk attack

Guest dogeon

i let me pigeons out today whilst i cleaned the loft and the ba****d hawk came and swooped for the kit and my pigeon now called LUCKY just mannaged to get to safty not without a fight any surgestions how to dry the gash up

sorry to hear of your hawk attack >:(   i had one of mine come back a while ago with a gash on its front but it wasnt as bad as your bird and i was able to patch it up using savlon cream   isnt there any fanciers local to u who can take a look and advise on treatment?  sorry i cant be of more help

debbie

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

i had a young birds this year that had a gash right across the front of his crop and when he went to eat it came out again i had to stich it up first the crop then the skin >:( :'(

The only thing I would say would be to get as much debris out of the wound (if there is any) and let it alone. It will scab on it's own - and should heal well enough as long as the muscle isn't too terribly damaged.

If you intend to keep it outside with the rest of the kit, check it, him?, daily and look to see if he's cracked the scab.. You can keep them (scabs) moist with vaseline - but I don't know if that is safe for the birds..

(I used the vaseline trick on my knee when I tore it up after taking a spill on my rollerblades.. Made it much easier to use the leg, I could actually bend it instead of "pretending" the limb was fused into a whole.)

If you keep him inside, keep him calmed and such, stress will only make it harder to heal up the wound - and will lower his immune system, which is bad if he gets infected.

Sorry I couldn't help more, most of this is taken from what I learned when an animal got injured at the farm, or what I have gleaned from the Animal Science prof. here at the college - who doubles as a local vet.

Oh poor thing, is it okay other than the gash?

it seems to be ok ive got it in the house and its eating and drinking ive cleaned the gash and it seems to have ripped the suface flesh so i hope it will be fine if no internal damage

if you can get your hand;s on CICATRIN powder, its used for drying up the navel of a baby, or boracic powder , both at the chemist

thanks for that ive just been and got some

It does not look to deep so i would suggest using baby talc. I use this all the time after injurys to dry the wound. It is un perfumed and does no harm to the wound.

hi thanks for the advice i went and brought some cicatrin now but at least i will know that baby talc will work as well