disaster

cock o the  north

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only paired up 21st February, 8 out of possible 11 have laid by tonight, other 3 had bother pairing up so expect them 2-3 days later..

Only disaster I have is my oldest hen who hasn't laid yet and seems to have lost her mind. Found her tonight in another box sitting another hen's first egg with the resident cock on top taking the head off her; moved her back to her own box only for her to go to another 2 boxes with same result; have had to lock her in her own box.

Guest spin cycle
any one else having a disasterous breeding season. i have 24 pairs of pigeons and ive ended up with only 7 youngsters from my first round of eggs. also today when my birds were out flying i saw a bird drop from the sky and heard it hit the ground i have not a clue what went wrong with it, it was a yearling :'( :-/  

yes,i  have 7 yb's only( from 6 pairs) .fortunately i've some gifts coming and my new stock loft is finally finished. it's been cold and windy and bleak. i'm finished with early breeding.i'm hoping to 'turn it around' by train/race these hard with some march/april ybs as insurance.also got 'hawked' last week. think IB has right idea  :) :)

I have had 10 pairs, 5 young hatched from these,  2 pairs did not lay 1 pair did not fill there eggs 1 x cock got into another box and smashed the eggs while fighting (the eggs were about to hatch in a couple of days) a hen fighting with another hen broke one of her eggs and then abandonded the other, But things seem to have settled downnow.  Most of the birds are now sitting eggs if they are not there own they are another pairs.

So answer to your question is yes, you are not on your own.

any one else having a disasterous breeding season. i have 24 pairs of pigeons and ive ended up with only 7 youngsters from my first round of eggs. also today when my birds were out flying i saw a bird drop from the sky and heard it hit the ground i have not a clue what went wrong with it, it was a yearling :'( :-/  

Boy!!!!!!! Have you got real problems in your loft ?????. Find yourself a "Good Vet" real quick  ;) ;) ;) in your local area etc & run  ::) ::) ::) to get there as quick as possible  ;D ;D ;D.

Enjoy.

Been said on here a million times

1) Make sure your birds are receiving a good high protein diet with plenty of vits and minerals

2)An annual medication programme is vital

3)A hygenic loft is vital

Plenty of info in the threads,sick of wasting my breath

Cheers then Chrissy unfortunatly not everbody has been racing pigeons as long as you.

I don't even race!!!,I show,but much of it is common sense anyway,am just fed up of giving advice when no one ever listens!!!!

Guest cloudview

cock of north , you have,nt said what the birds in general are looking or acting like , alittle more info might help   the yearling could have simply had a heart attack ,due to unseen  events it does happen   more so if overweight

I don't even race!!!,I show,but much of it is common sense anyway,am just fed up of giving advice when no one ever listens!!!!

well if you are fed up with giving advice then don't give it. as quoted in previus reply peolple are looking for advice.  That is why most people come on to this site. FOR HELP.

A few questions. how long did it take for the hens to lay out after pairing. Did all the hens lay out. Were the eggs that didn't hatch clear.

well if you are fed up with giving advice then don't give it. as quoted in previus reply peolple are looking for advice.  That is why most people come on to this site. FOR HELP.

All the answers are on previous threads!!,in the past have done medication programmes for people,gone to a lot of trouble [not just me],and the same people come back on having taken no notice!!,that's why I haven't bothered answering the other thread on treating young birds this week.What is the point?,so you are right I am not going to bother any more

Chrissy, when did men ever listen to women? ;D

Well I do  ;D ;D ;D (She who must be obeyed) gets my utmost attention ?????? most of the time  ;D ;D ;D. Except on race day that is  :P :P :P.

PS, Chrissy !!!!!! I think your being a bit harsh ?????? here, with your wisdom  :K) :K) :K)

Enjoy

All the answers are on previous threads!!,in the past have done medication programmes for people,gone to a lot of trouble [not just me],and the same people come back on having taken no notice!!,that's why I haven't bothered answering the other thread on treating young birds this week.What is the point?,so you are right I am not going to bother any more

But there are new people joining this site on a regular basis, new people to the sport that need advice don't you think that people young and old would benfit from people like yourself being abit more tolerant and posting advice when it is needed.

Guest TAMMY_1

But there are new people joining this site on a regular basis, new people to the sport that need advice don't you think that people young and old would benfit from people like yourself being abit more tolerant and posting advice when it is needed.

She has posted plenty good advice and has given advice to anybody who asks her for it.

She has posted plenty good advice and has given advice to anybody who asks her for it.

Then why not continue with the good support that she is giving, helping novices is what it is all about is it not, we want to keep people in the sport and encourage them to stay if new people to the sport don't know were to turn for advice may be they will leave and then that is a disaster for the pigeon world,

Guest TAMMY_1

Then why not continue with the good support that she is giving, helping novices is what it is all about is it not, we want to keep people in the sport and encourage them to stay if new people to the sport don't know were to turn for advice may be they will leave and then that is a disaster for the pigeon world,

well your previous reply to her will not have helped would it,