Pigeon whistles from China

pigeonsRuS

funny ,at the weekend i was listening to two older members at the club on this subject and one old boy said the other was blowing the whistle to get the birds in to the loft and the other said he would be better shoving it up his ar s for  all the good it was doing ;) ..only new to racing myself so still got an open mind on this one

im using a whistle to train the young birds. I use it to get them in when its feed time. works really well. Ive just started up with young birds for July racing with a friend of my husband who passed away just over 2 years ago, he always used the whistle. when you feed them blow it and they soon get to know very quickly what it means. It also works if a few go on the roof, blow and they come down. A friend of my husband uses a bell which he finds works well. Luckily Ive got another friend of my late husband who hasnt flown for over 25 years to fly with me he's really knowledgable can't wait to fly our first race hope he's looking down when we do it

I'm not sure that this is what the query was directed at. In China, they attach whistles to pigeons so that they sound as the birds fly. Timothy Hume in Canada uses them to good effect. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Do they work?" They work as whistles, not sure if they deter hawks or anything.

Photos and Info in German here: http://members.aol.com/woinem1/index/pigflut.htm

Lama Temple

Beijing's largest temple, a Tibetan style place, is ornamented with intriguing statuary, stunning frescoes, tapestries, incredible carpentry and a formidable pair of Chinese lions. Perhaps most impressive of all is an 60ft high sandalwood statue of the Maitreya or future Buddha in the Wanfu Pavilion, carved from a single tree. The first thing one will encounter is the holy shins, at eye level, and from there to the ceiling as the statue soars up and over the galleries. Flitting around the Buddha's head are what appear to be spinning prayer wheels, emitting a sweet, harmonious whine. Closer inspection reveals them to be pigeons with whistles attached. The temple is a working lamasery so it's closed early in the mornings for prayer.

Cheers Jimmy,

Some people also attach bells to their birds as a hawk deterrent, I'm not sure if that is effective either, maybe it is enough just to make the hawk a bit wary, but I've seen Sparrow hawks with little fear of noise, whistling, shouting, waving arms, &c... Maybe the particular tone of a bell or whistle is something they find offensive, but I know of a guy in Khasakstan who plays the dobra to his Eagle and they don't seem to mind it, so the Sparrow hawk would probably just enjoy the music as she eats......

And some people just like to put jewelry on their pigeons:

funny ,at the weekend i was listening to two older members at the club on this subject and one old boy said the other was blowing the whistle to get the birds in to the loft and the other said he would be better shoving it up his ar s for  all the good it was doing ;) ..only new to racing myself so still got an open mind on this one

What a absolute cracker !!!!!!!!! "LMFAO" if you continue with this sort of wisdom/advise etc here  ;D ;D ;D I think ???????  ;) ;) ;) you should fit in quite nicely now, even if you are a novice  :P :P :P.

Enjoy.

absolutely stunning pics , glass feather , this puts us all in the picture ;D pardon the pun :)

c,mon lennut go easy on a novice, :) im sure there was many more thinking like this  :) i knew a fancier who used an old hand held school bell to get them in,,,,, all the kids were rushing to school at 8 am instead of 9 am ;D :) :)

What a absolute cracker !!!!!!!!! "LMFAO" if you continue with this sort of wisdom/advise etc here  ;D ;D ;D I think ???????  ;) ;) ;) you should fit in quite nicely now, even if you are a novice  :P :P :P.

Enjoy.

Glad it made you laugh :)pitty you where not there, it was like listening to the two old boys of the muppets. ;)plenty of material to make a sit com at our club meets.mind you that was a corker of yours telling the lad with the sick pigeon to go to church and pray ;D ;D

Glad it made you laugh :)pitty you where not there, it was like listening to the two old boys of the muppets. ;)plenty of material to make a sit com at our club meets.mind you that was a corker of yours telling the lad with the sick pigeon to go to church and pray ;D ;D

As you well know ????????  ;) ;) ;) you can only do your best  :X :X :X & it may be dog eat dog to some here etc, in this sport  :'( :'( :'(. But without a bit of humour now & again, this world would be a  :( place to live in my view.

Enjoy.