whats the  best

weecunny

Wullie,i would prefer them to have had the ybn as natural youngsters, so they have to think for themselves from the outset.

But not all will have have that privilege.yearlings prefer them to have inland national,but some will not.My best birds so far have flown ybn as natural pigeons.so at this moment in time,yes i believe the schooling at national level as young birds is preferred,but that's just my opinion mate.

at the end of the day if you are getting results thats all you can go  for dont change a winning system all the best

ws

at the end of the day if you are getting results thats all you can go  for dont change a winning system all the best

ws

There seems to be a lot of systems mate,wot wins for one man may not win for another.What i hope to achieve is good doos,good guidance, and patience and we will see what the next 3 years brings  :) :) :)

The basket has NEVER and will never, tell you the best breeding stock. Only a truthfull pedigree on breeding prowess will tell you that. Sorry my friends you can never build a good stock loft with a performance pedigree either.

I learned that many years ago to my sorrow.

Good Luck for 2009.

Best Regards

Jack

A good Reliable Pedigree, is one that is line bred to an original sire wirth proven daughter breeders down the line.

Anything else is pure guess work which may breed you one in ten good racer breeders. You need stock pairs that will breed you 50% successful pigeons.

This is how you read a correct pedigree or a fake or useless one.

Regards

Jack

Agreed Jack, there are to many selling birds from generations that have not only not raced but have not performed either as breeders or racers.

Not all top racers make breeders and there are many breeders that have not raced but have proven themselves in the stock loft.

When buying you need to know what you are looking for!

Pedigree is only as honest as the person who wrote it but should give you an indication of the birds capability.

The basket has NEVER and will never, tell you the best breeding stock. Only a truthfull pedigree on breeding prowess will tell you that. Sorry my friends you can never build a good stock loft with a performance pedigree either.

I learned that many years ago to my sorrow.

Good Luck for 2009.

Best Regards

Jack

sorry jack not all pigeons make good pigeon breeders and you have to test them to see how good the off spring are, and as for eyesign each to there own.

Sorry Mark,

Some people never learn that there are better ways to select your stock birds than guessing and testing their progeny.

Such ways are expensive, and very seldom work. It will take such a person a lifetime and will never be recognised as a master breeder, with records to prove it.

I do not agree that the basket is the way to select stock birds, that is why the average statistics throughout the world in breeding good pigeons is seven percent. I myself could not have survived all these years with such a percentage failure of ninety three percent.

As you say, to each is own.

Some get smart too late.

Jack

I agree with your comments 100% John, certainly the race basket will only select your winners and losers, it has no other place in deciding which are the best breeders. To select your best breeders in this manner is a long and laborious method.

It will never be financially viable for people with Breeding Stations who wish to keep their reputation and standard high.

One needs a breeding success rate of at least 50%, I do not mind which method one uses to achieve this, but it will never come from guessing which to pair, or from pairing winners, then testing their progeny with the basket.

One will have the odd lucky strike, but as they say, " one swallow does not make a summer".

I decided to enter this thread in case some new starters got the idea that this was the way the top breeders did it. They certainly do not, unless they are willing to risk their reputation to make a living by selling birds off pigeons with a race performance pedigree.

It takes all sorts to make a world, and that is why many have good to say about certain breeding stations and some nothing good to say about the same stations.

Whether one is a breeder or just a racer, it is too expensive these days to go by trial and error.

I also agree their are more ways than eye sign for selection that bring results, although I use the genetic drift in eye sign all the time, but certainly the basket for selection is the way of the primitives, for it will never produce a large enough success rate.

Regards

Jack

Guest slugmonkey

I breed good racers back to grandparent ( if avaible ) then breed this back to 1/2 sibling grandparent then cross these back out for racing

I keep breeding these back to original grandparent as long as feasible

i think in this case there is no straight answer most pll say the basket tells all which is a fair point in most cases but take two pll living in one street one has mediocre birds but has a real good management system and the other has top class birds but bad management well in most cases the man with mediocre birds and a top management system will come out on top

so in other wards did the best pigeon win on the day or the best prepared bird it would seem the best prepared bird i see this in a lot of cases

Sorry Mark,

Some people never learn that there are better ways to select your stock birds than guessing and testing their progeny.

Such ways are expensive, and very seldom work. It will take such a person a lifetime and will never be recognised as a master breeder, with records to prove it.

I do not agree that the basket is the way to select stock birds, that is why the average statistics throughout the world in breeding good pigeons is seven percent. I myself could not have survived all these years with such a percentage failure of ninety three percent.

As you say, to each is own.

Some get smart too late.

Jack

most people who race pigeons work long hours for a living and just enjoy there hobby as for a master breeder they are very few and far between.