Buying Fancy Pigeons

Hello, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to pigeon fancying, as of yet i do not have any pigeons but i am looking to get maybe 4-6 fancy pigeons for no other reason than my own enjoyment - they will be kept in my shed which will be converted accordingly - i have been doing plenty of research but the one area i have been having trouble with is the actual purchasing of pigeons - i realise that they can be bought off the internet but i am not convinced how reliable this is, i am also aware that they can be bought from pigeon lofts / fanciers but i do not want to pay through the nose for pedigrees as i do not see this is necessary when i am not looking to take them to shows or anything like that (yet). i would just like to know what you're views are on this and if you know any reliable fanciers i can buy off (i live in Stockport, Greater Manchester) thanks in advance any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Guest Freebird
have you decided which variety of pigeon you will be keeping, take your time and ask many questions of many people, find the answers to your questions before purchasing the birds

kev

I'll second that. Good advice. Search the internet and decide what types you like the look of and what they do. i.e. Tumblers, rollers and other types of performers or just fancy lookers. Here is a good site that might inspire your thoughts.

tiplers tumblers rollers

Have fun.

It's worth visiting a couple of shows, get chatting to some fanciers, get to know a little bit about the various breeds, if they breed well and so on. Ask around as to why people have settled for the particular variety they keep. Not everyone is there for the competition.

well a few breeds that i have been really taken with are danish suabians, archangels, staggard shakers, german beauty homers, lucerne gold collars (my favourites!) fantails and rollers/tumblers although the last 2 would not be my priority although i am aware these are normally quite easy to start of with if i am not mistaken? sorry to add more questions on to the original but can i keep multiple breeds at the same time and would the different breeds mate with each other? also what sort of questions do you think i should be asking to a seller? thanks

well a few breeds that i have been really taken with are danish suabians, archangels, staggard shakers, german beauty homers, lucerne gold collars (my favourites!) fantails and rollers/tumblers although the last 2 would not be my priority although i am aware these are normally quite easy to start of with if i am not mistaken? sorry to add more questions on to the original but can i keep multiple breeds at the same time and would the different breeds mate with each other? also what sort of questions do you think i should be asking to a seller? thanks

thanks for your replies, i am familiar with a lot of fancy pigeon breeds but where do you actually  get your pigeons from?  breeders within a reasonable distance? if this is the case then i am aware that this will narrow down my selection and make it easier for me to choose

thanks for your replies, i am familiar with a lot of fancy pigeon breeds but where do you actually  get your pigeons from?  breeders within a reasonable distance? if this is the case then i am aware that this will narrow down my selection and make it easier for me to choose

take a wee look at the horseman thief pouter and the spanish pouters you may like them cheers.

Franny. ;)