LOFT FLOOR COVERINGS?

hawsir

we have all tried to take the easy way out and used different loft floor stuff but there is no easy way yes it looks great at first then comes the problems damp/dust/ shavings up and down the place mould/spores etc the truth is you would be better off just leaving the dry dropping than any thing else scrapper is the only way i have some different ways regarding cleaning out iam not a clean freek but i do scrape out once a day during racing i dont touch the loft when they are moulting only feed and water after moult is finnished 0nce a day scrape

I've tried a few floor dressings, none of them (so far) 100% happy with:- from sharp sand/ lime through stalosan, floor white, harkers loft treatment, all with the aim to have 'sterile' dust-free dry droppings litter.  Onto my latest: hemcore. Early signs encouraging.

I use Versa Laga Floor Dressing. It is a bit like cat litter but I find it does not get dusty and, as it is designed for pigeons, it contains a cocci inhibitor. And I can dispose of it into the compost. The slight criticism is the price. 7:00 something for a bag.

I also like easybed which is a horse product. It is not dusty and the price is'nt bad. The slight down side is the fact that it takes longer to break down in the compost.

I used to scrape the floor once, but I think that it harbours problems. Cocci and other problems can live under the perches and it does not provide for the important probiotic effect that dried droppings does. I think that young pigeons need to be able to peck about in the dry floor litter to build up their immunity to some of the nasties they are bound to have to deal with as they mature.

Besides, I think that I should disturb the birds as little as I can. After all it is their home and they don't want me stamping about in there. And I definately would not want to chase them out so that I can go to work with a scraper. Wet days were always a problem for me in my scraper days. I never did find a way of avoiding carrying wet into the loft with my feet. And I still don't like to push the birds out in the rain just so that I can indulge my preoccupation with cleaning.

Of course it could be that I am getting lazy as I get older and, I am becoming better at finding excuses for my behaviour.

we have all tried to take the easy way out and used different loft floor stuff but there is no easy way yes it looks great at first then comes the problems damp/dust/ shavings up and down the place mould/spores etc the truth is you would be better off just leaving the dry dropping than any thing else scrapper is the only way i have some different ways regarding cleaning out iam not a clean freek but i do scrape out once a day during racing i dont touch the loft when they are moulting only feed and water after moult is finnished 0nce a day scrape

why do you not clean out during moulting

why do you not clean out during moulting

two reasons 1 no stress while moulting 2 anything that does not have the correct constitution will show up and can be sorted out but the loft has to be well ventilated and perfectly dry

Guest southern and mason
Can anyone shed some light on how effective the use of sand is on the loft floor? If so what type of sand is best?

mortar sand is the best its heavy and it duznt blow away wen birds fly up and down