covlet feathers under the wing

birdman55678

• 4 weeks later...

Actually it was inconclusive but the higher percentage of good were the squared feathers.  I will continue  the test as I now intend to only pair square feathered birds to square and round to round and will then test the young on not only performance but to see if the square only begets the square and the same with the round.  Time will tell.  Ed

Not sure Frank but that maybe so.  I am just trying to find out if the square or round is any indication of the better bird.  I have not thought about it indicating distance or not but rest assured I will check and see how they have done as far as sprint and distance compared to feather type.  Thanks Ed

• 1 month later...
any photos to show dif

The 3 covlet feathers are in what would be the arm pit if on a person.  They stand out very well and if you see the squared off feathers then you will immediately know.  I have looked in many lofts and have always seen both.  If you have problems just PM me and we can go into more detail.   Ed

Is it the same for hens and cocks? I was told the longer the better I do not know if this is true but it seems all good bird have long squared off feathers. I would also like to know if these feathers change with age or moult.

I was told the the end flight of a good bird should be a bit longer than the one next to it. I found it could be longer one year then the next moult it was not.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it the same for hens and cocks? I was told the longer the better I do not know if this is true but it seems all good bird have long squared off feathers. I would also like to know if these feathers change with age or moult.

I was told the the end flight of a good bird should be a bit longer than the one next to it. I found it could be longer one year then the next moult it was not.

pigeonscout..

I have found that the squared off feathers are also more prevelant in my loft than the round ones.  I have found that they do not change with either age or moult.  When discussing flight feathers it also seems to hold true that the number 10 flight seems to always be 1/4 inch or so shorter than the number 9 on my longer distance birds and my speed birds seem to have all #10 flights a tad longer than the 9th.   Any thoughts from you???

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the number ten flight being shorter than the number nine is a sign of to much inbreeding.(linebreeding).I may be wrong i'm still learning and reading a hell of a lot of stuff so i may be confusing myself :).If it was shorter then its one sign towards an outcross being needed.