question regarding pupils...for eyesign floks...

bluebar99

That's just a preference of Rob's and whilst not a bad one its not the absolute be all and end all as many good racing or even breeding birds can have some oval curve to their eyes.   A clear black pupil is one key factor I'd be looking for, absolutely no milkiness, but the outer parts of the eye would play an equally important part such as the circle of adaptation being a key pointer for me as I'm a believer that the wider it is the better and indicator it can be of a good bird.

My views just like Rob's is a subjective one, there's no hard fast line but if you follow the basic priniciples listed below you won't go far wrong.

1.  A clear Black pupil

2.  A wide adapatation

3. The circle of adaptation being coloured purple.  (again this is a preference for me not for all as many colours mean many opinions)

4. A deep richly coloured Iris

5. Last but by no means least is the 'Circle of Health', the blood supply to the eye which is supposed to be the indicator to a birds health and potential performance.

Getting that out of the way you'd think if your bird has all these criteria then your on to a winner when the fact of the matter is there is to the best of my knowledge no definitive proof that any of these factors are scientifically proven.  Point of fact there are many who think that trying to judge a birds potential by its eyesign is a bit like an old fishwife's tale and means absolutely nothing.  Read: http://www.silvio-co.com/pigeons/eyesign.htm

My view for what its worth is an eye can tell you a heck of a lot but it will never absolutely tell you whether the bird is going to be a succesful racer or breeder or racer, the only thing that will tell that is time and results, although I've never seen a blind or one eyed bird win a race.   Its up to the individual to decide on what they believe what they beleive just like sexing a bird, we all have our ways and Rob's is no better a theory than many others out there.

Good question though, let's hope it raises some construtive debate on the differing standpoints.

Guest Hjaltland

I've never seen a blind or one eyed bird win a race.  

Bob McDonald of Fraserburgh had a one eyed pigeon which won every show - eyesign class it was ever entered in... dunno if it was ever flown though...    ;)

my best 2 youngsters from last year have slightly oval pupils.

ones breed me 2 very consistant HENS this year the other took ace yearling prize in the club

Both though have what i look for in eyes ...

Small pupils

thick granulated iris's

good addaptions circles

Strong colour

ive read that oval pupils are not good a few places N maybe perfect circles are better but MR Basket usualy knows more than we do