Channel Racing

Guest Greig the doo Drysdale

For the more experienced birds it will be appleby first race 3rd may 95 miles,most of the yearlings will start this sat at lowther castle 89 miles althought i would have rather started them at appleby as well. last race before channel races up to 560 miles will be cheltenham.

For the more experienced birds it will be appleby first race 3rd may 95 miles,most of the yearlings will start this sat at lowther castle 89 miles althought i would have rather started them at appleby as well. last race before channel races up to 560 miles will be cheltenham.

is it 95 miles then every race after that

At what distance would you put your 500milers into the racing basket before a 500mile race

Depending on the weather on the day, 6 to 8 hrs etc & that  = a 250 to 350 miles race & then 3 to 4 weeks rest, then into the 500 mile race, & if they are any good ??????? they should be knocking on the door or there abouts, in my view.

Enjoy.

was thinking of sending channel birds 105 miles then miss a week send to about 180 miss 2 weeks then send to maidstone then over to falaise do you think it will work will also try same thing with the Ypres race aswell

was thinking of sending channel birds 105 miles then miss a week send to about 180 miss 2 weeks then send to maidstone then over to falaise do you think it will work will also try same thing with the Ypres race aswell

when is maidstone in relation to falaise and ypres and how far is maidston to you

about 2 or 3 weeks apart

I think if you have a hard maidston your up against it,would rather have a hard 250 miles four weeks before big race,but thats just my opinion.

All depends on birds and hours on wing I feel.  Some birds just thrive on work, my best ever bird at 500 mile had 12 races in 13 weeks prior to 500 miler and came on day in toughish race following season would of been same but missed 3 races as hit wires came on day 14 and half hours on tough race.  I like mine to have 80 miler prior to basketing(5 days) then leave alone just loft exercise.  Prior to this at least a 350 mile race, and couple at 250/300.  This would all depend on wind and race.  If one of these was stinker then no need but if both quick and birds home in 5 hours be worried and get more time on wing.  That short race before 500 race I like to be 2 to 3 hours on wing.

Know some birds can have very little racing and be jumped in these fanciers know family they have that is the long term aim to have 500 mile family.  Thats if allowed to race the 500 mile races ;)

;D ;D ;D We know that Carlsberg   ;) ;) ;) "PMSL" but how many ???????? are left at the finish  :) :) :) to fight another day at the distance, for the following year.

Enjoy.

4/4 at 512 miles , 1st bird had 12/14 races always in the clock

At what distance would you put your 500milers into the racing basket before a 500mile race

hours on the wing more important than the distance,, but ideally, a good testing 8 hour fly 3 weeks b4 race sould really suffice , maybe with a few tosses nearer the time , all depending on the bird itself, all are individuals , but i would be quite happy to send an experienced bird about 3 or 4 races then into a 550 mile race  [all would depend on circumstances at the time ]

Just a thought in relation to what Lennut posted,I find more often not there is more genuine respect and admiration among competing fanciers when you produce a bird to perfom at the distance,rather than a bird that does the job in a land race,is it I wonder although much fewer competitors,they are more genuine fanciers,again just my opinion,my own system would be depending on bird race out to approx 250,nest condition,with two or three 80 mile single ups,previous to basketing week.