the best system

winterbourne

hi everyone,I only have a small team and I have tried several systems but nearly always come back to widowhood ,cocks only.I have only 8 cocks to race next year because nearly all my ybs were hens.I have only limited time available during the day and roundabout takes to much time ,I dont like the natural system .Any suggestions as to what I should do or not do,given the facts should I hop over next seasons racing.I cant seem to make my mind up .Help!

THE THING IS WINTERBOURNE PEOPLE SAY THAT YOU ONLY GET OUT OF THE BIRDS WHAT YOU PUT IN.IF YOU DONT HAVE MUCH TIME TO SEE TO THE BIRDS I WOULD SUGGEST YOU STICK WITH THE WIDOWHOOD SYSTEM OR OTHER THAN THAT IF YOU FEEL YOU CANT DO THE BIRDS JUSTICE WHATS THE POINT IN HAVING THEM.SORRY TO BE SO HARD BUT ITS BASICALLY GOES BACK TO MY FIRST LINE.

There are so many different systems used today the best is what suits you best, with

the time you have available. Some times when you fly widohood certain cocks do not take to it, a good cock bird will fight you if you try to enter his box, if you have cocks that will not defend their box the better tried on another system or moved on. I personally fly rounabout because I have the time to do it with being disabled I am at home all day.  Even on this system you must have birds that will defend their box at least with this system you are not wasting good hens sitting at home. My hens often beat the cocks home. Hope you find as system to suit you good luck :)

fly hard fly fair ;)

mealybar i wish my hens would come like yours. they only ever do any good with breeding alright birds and flying the channel but still fail to take prize cards apart from the odd time.

yours in sport

paul carter

Well you've all winter to think about it, Winterbourne. I tend to agree with the other posts about racing hens. Can't see much sense in wasting these valuable birds especially now that they make up more than half your team. Why not experiment? If you've more hens than cocks, you could try paired hens - defend their box better than most cocks. Or 2 hens paired to one cock. Or widowhood hens. Or a combination of all?

thanks for all the tips folks,I recieved a good book through the post yesterday,"winning with hens" by Dave allen.The book made interesting reading and one system suggested by Dave seems to suit my situation.My loft is only 16ft-5ft and I´m limited to 24 birds because of council rules .This year I raced 10 cocks on widowhood ,bred 20 ybs and I have 5 pairs of stock,so most of you will understand when i describe my loft as small.I have a reputation here ( sweden) for winning with only one entry( only takes one to win).I have a good team but find it rather irritating not being able to compete in the same league as the big team boys.I´m a strong believer in having the racing birds mate at home and I have run into trouble mostly when hens are lost and a good cock is without its mate.I have also tried hens on pure widowhood ,locked in their boxes after exercise and god did they exercise but alas on race days they dropped like flys.The last two seasons I have kept my hens in the garage and the cocks have relaxed with better results.no doubt the winter will give me time to think out some sort of system.Have a nice day.

• 3 weeks later...