darkness system

speedbird

I fly darkness and I don't have any hard and fast rule abut the time they are put on darkness.

The most important thing to me is that I get the birds flying out well before I put them on 18 hours of dark a day. if you put your yb's straight into a darkened loft after they are weaned they will go into a body mould straight away and it has proved difficult in the past to get them to fly out good.  Our YB's for the race team are bred 6 months before the date of the first race and are weaned at 21/23 days and are given open air after about 7 days in the YB loft, there is a theory that the birds have a very high learning curve at this age.

I put the birds on 18 hours of light 2 weeks before the first race.  I always darken about 1 in the afternoon as I feel it is very important for the birds to "clock" te position of the sun early in the day as most races here are liberated around 7 in the morning.

We have just finished racing last weekend and the birds I sent to our 300 mile futurity race had good body feathering and full wings.

Has anyone ever had a bird put on darkness but darkness never worked on that bird.I had a bird that was coming very well for me this year early on in the youngbird season,then he was last everyweek couldnt suss it until i picked him up and he only had three flights to go,the rest of the darkness team hadnt started.

checked my natural youngbirds and he was on the same flights as them.

I would keep them on 18 hours Speed, darkening them about 1 pm. Your birds will still see the pattern of the sun in the mornings.  Some people Darken their birds opposite to me and the get their 6 hours late afternoon early evening, which I think is useless.

I got my young bird team in the loft round about the first of May, I had they flying out for about three weeks before I darkened them, we start racing the third weekend in August so I put them on 18 hours of light the first weekend in August

Carl, I have seen in certain years some familys(lines)do not even pay attention to

the fact they are on the darkness. They just continue to moult out their flights as

if they were given normal daylight. So I'm assuming it could be a family trait?

I'm sure other people on here have noticed this too.

Yours in the Sport - Bill.

WHEN IDID THE DARKNESS SYSTEM I OFTEN HAD THE ODD ONE START MOULTING THE FLIGHTS, FOR NO APPARANT REASON LIKE CARL.  OTHER TIMES THE REASON BECAME OBVIOUS, LIKE A BIRD ROOSTING ON THE WATER FOUNTAIN NEXT TO THE VENTS, WHERE THE LIGHT WAS COMMING IN,,,INCIDENTLY I WAS DUBIOUS OF THIS SYSTEM AT FIRST, SO I TRIED A FEW ON IT IN ONE SMALL LOFT, THE OTHER SMALL LOFT HAD NATURAL YBS IN IT, THE NATURAL ONES WERE STOPPED AFTER A BOUT 4 RACES AND THE DARKNESS ONES RIGHT OUT TO YB NATIONAL , SCORED WELL WITH DARKNESS YBS, BUT AS YEARLINGS AND OLDER BIRDS FOUND NO DIFFERANCE IN THEM WHAT SO EVER, THEY ALL RACED AS WELL.

Carl, I have seen in certain years some familys(lines)do not even pay attention to

the fact they are on the darkness. They just continue to moult out their flights as

if they were given normal daylight. So I'm assuming it could be a family trait?

I'm sure other people on here have noticed this too.

Yours in the Sport - Bill.

The thing is i had three youngbirds from the same nest and the others were fine so it cant be in the family.Jimmy i made sure there was no light getting in for the birds to sit in,loft wasnt total darkness just so they could see slightly.

i think you are all trying to be exact. we breed our young birds in jan/feb and put them on the dark straight away, they are darkened from 5pm until 9am, if possible. they stay on the dark until the 1st July. They will be holding a full wing when the first race comes around. This year from 8 young bird club races we won 7 and won the fed 3 times as well. the main thing with the darkness is keeping them heathly, to many times i've heard people just shutting them in nothing more than a biscuit tin, no air, leading to respitory problems. You need to keep a good air flow, without causing a draft as this to will have a bad effect on the young birds. Remember the loft does not have to be pitch black, ours is dark enough that they roost up but you can go in there and see the birds easily. I think its more to do with the rest time rather than how dark the loft actually is.

the problem is if you dont put them straight on the dark, they will start throwing flights. Our young birds that are bred in january, and put on the dark will be training before the end of may, by this time they will be 3 quarters finished and wont have dropped a flight. Normally the first flight is thrown around the time of the first race at the end of July, they will have also finished the body moult by then.

Our YBS are parted end of March / beginning of April - straight on to the darkness.   09:00-17:00.   Taken off on June 21st - though our 1st Fed YB race is about 4-5 weeks after that.   This way you get the YBS on no more than their 2nd flight when the big races come around beginning of September - jobs a good 'un

Mike

• 7 months later...