Split a pair breeding winners

Guest Pigeon_Man87

Well I haven't had the pleasure of having birds that breed winners every year but considering I've only raced one season.  I wouldn't split the birds if they were that proven that they were breeding winners every year.  If anything only for a round or 2 to try something new and not have my entire loft filled with full brothers/sisters.

If you have a pair that is regularly breeding winners and especially covering the distances you race in your club, why split them ? If you have a pair that breeds sprint winners and a pair that breeds distance winners so much the better and that also gives you options but my motto would be in the case of such good pairs, " Till death us do part. "

If you have a pair that is regularly breeding winners and especially covering the distances you race in your club, why split them ? If you have a pair that breeds sprint winners and a pair that breeds distance winners so much the better and that also gives you options but my motto would be in the case of such good pairs, " Till death us do part. "

Exactly if its not broke why fix it

Well if you guys were in my club I would gladly like to see you split up the successful pair.  ;D

There is only one way I would split them up and that would be when they got to be around 10 years old and then I would put the pair back on the youngsters to try and recreate the original only younger.  I have been told that in the 4 generation of line breeding you will then have a DNA duplicate. Just my thoughts.  Keep em together..  Ed

We have had a few pairs that have bred winners every year over the last 30 years and in most causes we have split them. Maybe for 1-2 years then put them back together again.

The reasons why we have done this is:

1. To find out if the hen and cock will bred winner with other birds other than just when they are together. Putting a good cock to another hen might even bred better pigeons.

2. To add to the gene pool so at a later date we can if necessary bred half brothers and sisters together if necessary or different daughters back to the originals cocks

3. To test the birds we have more as to see what distances can perform too.

During this time we have had a few cocks that have bred winners with several hens and in some cases the youngsters of some of these have improved when pairing the cock to another hen.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules though its just a hunch or a gut feeling sometimes, but unless you try to split a pair up and mate then to something else how will you know?

Just my thoughts

PJ

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the same dilima. I am wanting to split up a winning pair because the hen in my opinion is quite large. Some of the cocks from this pair are bigger than my tastes. About half the offspring are physically good in size and I am breeding these birds. I am thinking of breeding the large hen to a smaller cock and cross the cock to the hen of my second best pair. Line breed the second best cock to a grandaughter crossed into the first pair. Thinking this way I will not have to rid birds due to size, if I can breed them more consistent. Love to here your opinions.

Randy

ALWAYS split a pair breeding winners.   It's the only way to progress.

Trust me  ;) ;)

Totally agree,was going to say that before i saw this remark,were are you going to go if a cock or hen carnt breed winners with different cocks or hens,then you wonder why you see lofts racing there heads off for years then to dissapear without trace,thats why ,they keep the same pairs together and once there gone there performances are gone with them.dont be silly and keep the same pairs together,be brave and skilled and try them with other birds or the only way your going is DOWN.

I also have the same dilima. I am wanting to split up a winning pair because the hen in my opinion is quite large. Some of the cocks from this pair are bigger than my tastes. About half the offspring are physically good in size and I am breeding these birds. I am thinking of breeding the large hen to a smaller cock and cross the cock to the hen of my second best pair. Line breed the second best cock to a grandaughter crossed into the first pair. Thinking this way I will not have to rid birds due to size, if I can breed them more consistent. Love to here your opinions.

Randy

IF I HAD BIG HENS IN MY STOCK LOFT I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY,THERE THE BASE TO YOUR LOFT.

Guest slugmonkey

I would put them with other " Relatives " once breeding season is over try putting cock with an aunt  or grandmother then do the same with hen putting her with uncle or grandfather then put these birds together and see if you get any decent birds any good ones should ( that are raced from these pairs ) then be put back with original pair and this process repeated I would breed 2 pair of racers then put cock on outside hen give the hen about 4 weeks rest then get 1 set of eggs from her outside pair treat these eggs like GOLD many people will tell you the story of blood they lost by not stocking inbreds for breeding or you could steal 1 set of eggs from hen and rest her then breed her with another cock in time to race there are many strategys but the important thing is to NOT assume you have 10 years to wait start the line now while you still have the vitality in the old pair