Hurrah!

Eureka!

I finally got some birds to make eggs...

And the eggs made themselves into babies.

At school, my friend made the comment that I'm like a "glowing mother" - overly excited I guess, for the first ever clutch. :P

These pictures were all in the first day - the eleventh of May.

Already today, the thirteenth, they are looking much MUCH larger. :]

I can't keep my goofy little grin off my face.

The shot with my hand was out of shock. I couldn't believe the size comparison. I mean, I knew they'd be tiny - but, I'm like Godzilla to the citizens of Tokyo. O:

Eureka!

I finally got some birds to make eggs...

And the eggs made themselves into babies.

At school, my friend made the comment that I'm like a "glowing mother" - overly excited I guess, for the first ever clutch. :P

These pictures were all in the first day - the eleventh of May.

Already today, the thirteenth, they are looking much MUCH larger. :]

I can't keep my goofy little grin off my face.

The shot with my hand was out of shock. I couldn't believe the size comparison. I mean, I knew they'd be tiny - but, I'm like Godzilla to the citizens of Tokyo. O:

very pleased for you, what sort of pigeons are they? and try not to upset the parents to much, by pestering their parents to much

don't handle the babes to much at this stage as the parents could leave them.

Plenty of time to handle them when they are older.

spot on dont disturb too often as parents may abandon or trample the ybs ;)

should'nt really handle a yb til 6/7 days old (ringing), or only if your hands clean, you can pass bacteria from hand to their navel in early days.

Congratulations new Mom! ;) ;)   First babies are soo exciting and you will be amazed at how quickly they grow and how much the parents eat and how much poop two little babies produce!  Lots of food and minerals down for the parents - I leave my food down 24/7 and top it up three times a day.  You are going to be busy, busy, busy.

What is the nest in?  It looks like a plastic bowl?  You need to get a lot more shavings under those babies or they will get splay legs.  :-/

Hmm..

I haven't truly held them but for that first picture there - I was simply stunned. I will keep that in mind though.

I do go in and make sure they have all their proper bowls filled with food/liquids.

Pecked: The nestbowl is converted from an old dog's water-bowl. It's all I have at the time. More shavings are in it now, I shoved some in yesterday when I got home.

Eeee... Is the silly grin ever gonna go away? :P

Pete: They are a cross between a Komorner Tumbler (dad) and a Domestic Show Flight (mother). Both parents are black and white - with different crests on their heads. I am expecting awkward cresting on the babies. Hahaha

Thank you all for your advice. I'll probably be tuning in even more now to pick up on anything that could help me.

Pecked: The nestbowl is converted from an old dog's water-bowl. It's all I have at the time. More shavings are in it now, I shoved some in yesterday when I got home.

The dog bowl will be fine, it'll be very slippy for them but, as long as there is plenty under the babies that they can grip on, they will do OK.. If the shavings don't stay under them, you can try a bit of towel or carpet or anything like that. ;)

Guest Freebird

Know exactly how you are feeling, treasure it. They look nice and healthy youngsters too. The Kormoner tumblers are lovely little birds. I used to have a pair of black magpies like your cock and a pair of chocolate magpies as well. Get some hay, straw or better still tobacco stalks for the nest as previously stated the young need to get a good grip with their feet or they end up splay legged. Will be interested to see what the young turn out like so please keep us informed. Hope this is the start of many successful breeding's for you. Take care but most importantly, have fun.

Don't think we have tobacco stalks out this way - I will look next trip to town I make when I hit the feed store. Straw and hay however, those we have. :] I will also aim for a better nest bowl. :/ I like the convenience of having the dog's water dish and not having to buy something new, but, if it proves slippy, then I'd rather not risk their teensy little legs.

Ironically the girl I bought from, she had two cocks; a black and chocolate (I think? He was a tad reddish). She didn't want to breed when she bought them, and so just got the two "pretty" ones. Unfortunately, due to being both cocks and in the same pen with no other birds, they beat up one another a little before fair and (both) only placed blue, due to feather condition - the first four primary feathers on both of his wings are stripped for an inch or so. :/

I figure some good old TLC and he'll clean up real nicely though. Already he's got a gorgeous sheen to him.

Oh definitely. I'll be taking some photos in a day or so, so, be on the lookout!

I don't think that you should risk changing your nest bowl - they are too young to make changes like that and the parents might abandon them,  just get something under them.  ;)

Oh of course not now. I meant for future clutches. ;]

Wouldn't risk the 'rents leaving them. I mean, I'm capable of raising babies - I've done it often enough for the wild sparrows that live in the neighborhood; and done it successfully to boot, but, I'd rather leave that chore to mum and dad. :]

I don't think that you should risk changing your nest bowl - they are too young to make changes like that and the parents might abandon them,  just get something under them.  ;)

Yes i would say the same, If you are to breed again then try wraping the bowl in a few sheets of newspaper, Good Luck !

Guest kevin b

congratulations, yes it will be intresting to see how they turn out, one thing is certin they are lucky to have you looking after them.

Oh of course not now. I meant for future clutches. ;]

Wouldn't risk the 'rents leaving them. I mean, I'm capable of raising babies - I've done it often enough for the wild sparrows that live in the neighborhood; and done it successfully to boot, but, I'd rather leave that chore to mum and dad. :]

I think you should change your name to bird girl lol.

congratulations, yes it will be intresting to see how they turn out, one thing is certin they are lucky to have you looking after them.

I think you should change your name to bird girl lol.

Ah, why thank you. :]

Hm.. I'll keep that in mind - I have been called bird mad before. D: