soluble medicines

When used in pigeons, antibiotic dosages are often given as a range from a low to a high dose. The low dose is often used in hot weather when birds drink more (same as us!) and the high dose is used in colder weather when they drink less. Naturally there is an intermediate range for intermediate temperatures. Without going into great detail, I'll give you an example. If you buy a 10% solution of Baytril, you can use 1/2 teaspoon for 4 litres of water in hot weather and 1 teaspoon for 4 litres in cold weather, for 7-14 days. There used to be some concern that Baytril could cause deformities of cartilage in young growing pigeons but the company representative tells me that this just isn't so.

there should be no problem with excess intake of antibiotics for most of them. You always have to be a bit cautious with products like some of the sulpha formulations because they can crystallize in the kidneys and so damage them. If birds took in extra Gallimycin (erythromycin) for the treatment of a respiratory condition, I don't think this would hurt since normal crop bacteria have a field day destroying it - and the extra drug taken in might be able to help with the problem you are treating for.

after any period of antibiotic treatment, you should always put the birds on a good probiotic to re-establish some normalcy in the bacterial population in the intestines - the quicker, the better. Hope this helps a bit

• 1 month later...

because CHRIS HE is trying to help people like myself that doent know as much AS you  AND reading is the only way to lern because some fancers are still liveing in the darkage not saying all old ways are bad its time and theres room for both                                                                                                                                                   anyway cheers craig thanks             yours in sport    BOB

you carry on speight,,,,,none of this ,",its my ball your not playing"

i beleive we are all here to help one another, and i genuinely think that ,now that ive spoken to some of the great membersof the forum ,most would do their utmost to help,,,they have helped me enormously,, and i can only say thanks to you all

• 6 months later...