RAT PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

newburgh lofts

I  FOUND A DEAD PIGEON IN MY LOFT THIS AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAD MISSING COULD THIS BE A RAT CAN THEY KILL A FULL GROWN PIGEON. THE OTHER BIRDS ARE ALL OK. IF IT IS WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF IT. THANKS FOR ANY HELP :o :o :o

you no anyone with a good terrier if not i take it your loft is lifted of ground level have a look in all the corners of your loft see if you can find a hole that it got in cover the hole up and keep an eye on it apply a bag of poison under your loft can get them bait box poison but make sure non of your pigeons pets can get to it that should sort it mate

all the best.

george  is it not a weasel IRVIN BUCHAN WASENT LONG IN CATCHING ONE THAT WAS GIVING ME PROBLEMS YEARS AGO  ITS WORTH GIVING HIM A PHONE

if it would be a weasel they tend to hid there kill in corner they do eat away at the head same as foxs do only way to be shore is set cage trap baited with some meat u will see then who the culprit is ive sorted out weasels before you have to be one step in front of them everytime other wise they take the lot specialy this time of year when they hunt in groups some times 3 to 4 at a time

all the best.

my loft is right next to a forrest and i ve seen rats running under my loft and true the fence back into the forest but have never had any trouble with rats what so ever...mice on the other hand i catch daily in live traps placed under the loft and have since had to make my loft mice proof every inch of it..i ve tried rat an mice posion but its pointless is a never ending story i find it much handyer with he live traps an have found some fun in disposing of them

my loft is right next to a forrest and i ve seen rats running under my loft and true the fence back into the forest but have never had any trouble with rats what so ever...mice on the other hand i catch daily in live traps placed under the loft and have since had to make my loft mice proof every inch of it..i ve tried rat an mice posion but its pointless is a never ending story i find it much handyer with he live traps an have found some fun in disposing of them

best thing to do is set a cage trap baited with some meat mate as you say you loft is near woods could be a host of preditors working in wouldnt put it past a weasel they always live near secure warm area's were they got food on there door step you no anyone with a fenn trap number 4 will do the job make a tunnel with some bricks put piece of meat at the end set the fenn set it on the tredle plate very light lay the trap down peg it down give it a day for ya sent to go and trust me mate you will get what done the damage but would have a cage trap set as well mate baited with meat for back up trap

all the best.

NEWBURY LOFTS   THAT TIME I LOST I THINK 6 BUT IT TOOK 1 FOR A START WHAT IRVIN DID CUT A PIECE OF PLASTIC 4 INCH PLASTIC PIPING PUT THE BIRD IN MIDDLE PUT A TRAP AT THE HEAD SIDE AND A PIECE OF BRICK AT EACH END JUST ENOUGH ROOM FOR IT TO PASS OVER THEN PLACE THE PIPE ON TOP HOPE YOU GET IT WHATEVER WAY YOU GET IT I WOULD REMOVE YOUR BIRDS FOR SAFTEY

NEWBURY LOFTS   THAT TIME I LOST I THINK 6 BUT IT TOOK 1 FOR A START WHAT IRVIN DID CUT A PIECE OF PLASTIC 4 INCH PLASTIC PIPING PUT THE BIRD IN MIDDLE PUT A TRAP AT THE HEAD SIDE AND A PIECE OF BRICK AT EACH END JUST ENOUGH ROOM FOR IT TO PASS OVER THEN PLACE THE PIPE ON TOP HOPE YOU GET IT WHATEVER WAY YOU GET IT I WOULD REMOVE YOUR BIRDS FOR SAFTEY

yeah sounds like the old pipe trap used by gamekeepers for stoats,weasel,rats

all the best

this is a mk4 fenn trap mate shows you how to set it approved for rats,squirrels,stoats,weasel's

all the best

make sure you put it in a tunnel otherwise they are illegal to use, if you put it in the rat run you don't have to bait it. wear gloves when setting the trap to stop human smells on the trap. i rubbed the trap in bird droppings  to get rid of any strange smells, trap was set two weeks ago, got my first rat last night.

make sure you put it in a tunnel otherwise they are illegal to use, if you put it in the rat run you don't have to bait it. wear gloves when setting the trap to stop human smells on the trap. i rubbed the trap in bird droppings  to get rid of any strange smells, trap was set two weeks ago, got my first rat last night.

yes legal requirements to be fitted in a tunnel with two sticks set at entrance to stop non target species being caught in trap

all the best

favorites for this are

rat

mink

stoat

in that order

set a mk 4 fenn under or along side outside of loft and keep it permanantly set

you will be surprised what it picks up even when u dont expect it.

but reset it weekly even if it has not gone off.

ATB

LYNDON ;)

yeah do agree but you will need mk6 for mink i set 14 fenn traps set up friends farm had 8mink,7stoats,12 rabbits,23rats and a white stoat all set in tunnels made into bank rabbits was cought inside the burrow by digging away inside entrace setting mk6 then finely putting a little sand over the trap to make it unvisable i put two stakes through the entrance of the burrows to stop non target species getting trapped very good traps mk4 fenn and mk6 i highly recommend them to anyone that got problem with vermin/pests.

all the best.

caught over twenty rats in the last 8 weeks doing the same

yeah do agree but you will need mk6 for mink i set 14 fenn traps set up friends farm had 8mink,7stoats,12 rabbits,23rats and a white stoat all set in tunnels made into bank rabbits was cought inside the burrow by digging away inside entrace setting mk6 then finely putting a little sand over the trap to make it unvisable i put two stakes through the entrance of the burrows to stop non target species getting trapped very good traps mk4 fenn and mk6 i highly recommend them to anyone that got problem with vermin/pests.

all the best.

have caught dozens of mink in mk 4s  and 6s for that matter the art is not having the tunnel too high when the trap is sprung.1 inch is plenty.

would not use sand,its too light and dries out too quick and runs under pan, then it wont go off.

use peat, or soil from a mole hill but rub it between your fingers to remove any lumps or stones that may fall under pan,pile soil on spring end of trap and move it across trap with small stick,perfect look and no soil under pan.

this is the tried and trusted method used by keepers for years.

lyndon    

I  FOUND A DEAD PIGEON IN MY LOFT THIS AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAD MISSING COULD THIS BE A RAT CAN THEY KILL A FULL GROWN PIGEON. THE OTHER BIRDS ARE ALL OK. IF IT IS WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF IT. THANKS FOR ANY HELP :o :o :o

mate i think i can get me hand on 1 mk4 let me have alook in me shed be back in minute bud i let ya no if you wont it pm me mate and i send it up to ya bud free of charge

all the best

k.baker

have caught dozens of mink in mk 4s  and 6s for that matter the art is not having the tunnel too high when the trap is sprung.1 inch is plenty.

would not use sand,its too light and dries out too quick and runs under pan, then it wont go off.

use peat, or soil from a mole hill but rub it between your fingers to remove any lumps or stones that may fall under pan,pile soil on spring end of trap and move it across trap with small stick,perfect look and no soil under pan.

this is the tried and trusted method used by keepers for years.

lyndon    

yeah i no were you coming from mate i always put a small stick under neath the plate while im putting the fine soil from the burrow on to the trapso no fine soil goes under the tredle plate then gentle take safty catch off

all the best mate