Using Garlic

piggy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never used galic oil on the food ,but put a clove of garlic in the drinkers once a week Keeps the blood right and helps the down feathers to drop and makes the breast look pink and healthy not blue and scaley when a pigeon is out of condition :)

fly hard fly fair ;)

hello

i do exactly what shadow does (put a clove of garlic once a week in the drinkers) however i put the clove of garlic in a 2 litre drinks bottle and leave it in over night and then put it in the drinker the next day.

yours in sport

paul carter

If you refer to HEALTH>Please Help> Page1, you will find a comprehensive article on Garlic posted there on Wedy August 17th. Pretty longish article. You could copy and paste it to a word document on your own computer and save it for future reference.

Guest speckled
:) Totaly agree with ya jimmy,i use whole garlic cloves in the water 352 day a year,yes i do change it when it starts to sprout though, :)I also use freash lemons from the shop which  i mix with Brewers Yeast.on the corn.& thats what my birds have on reurn from a race every week,all the bird get ot on a weekend aswell.The Brewers Yeast comes from the health shop.Cheeper then pigeon products.Speckled

garlic is one of the best things for health, many, many great qualities and its natural in fact so old a remedy, that the EGYPTIANS used it,,my MUMMY told me that ;D ;D ;D

no speckled is spot on with her post above, these things are very cheap but very effective,   and fifer  i hope you meant the pigeons bath  and not mine  ,ive little friends the way i am, only kidding fifer , iknow what you mean and your quite right,

p.s. enjoyed your jokes, keep em comming  ;D ;D ;D   jimmy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

garlic in a healthy loft? or only in sick? add it to a gallon of water?  

i have been toying with planting garlic in the land behind my loft.  i have alot of weeds that grow back there and either need to mow it or plant it with a low growing fast spreading plant.  anyhow if i plant garlic out there can i pull up a clove in any part of it's growing cycle and use it for pigeon water?  or only in its dorment state?

Symbro

The best plan would be to harvest it then dry them like onions. then you would have a good supply for the year. If you try breaking a clove at a time off the rest would die and rot :)

Quality not Quantity ;)

Must admit, have never considered growing garlic as I believed our climate wasn't suitable...can't think why!  :)

Uses (1) Basically a herb, part of the normal 'healthy' loft routine perhaps twice a week? (2) During sickness or injury, stronger 'medicinal' solution, daily for up to 7 consecutive days. (3) Insecticide..as required.

Seems to be endless ways it can be given to the birds, only 'rule' is that garlic or garlic water shouldn't be heated. Personally, I prefer 'fresh'. I chop up a few cloves from a garlic bulb and pop them into the drinkers....water is clear and fresh.

I also chop up an extra clove and leave in a litre of water for two days, water turns cloudy and I add this to 5 litres of cold water for the birds twice-a-week bath.

I was told recently that if you leave garlic in a plastic drinker too long the residue that it leaves is actually harmfull to the birds. I keep mine as clean as possible so there is never any residue i.e. have a spare drinker that I leave in milton that I swap over daily. Has anyone heard of this, just something to bare in mind.

I agree with others that garlic is cheap and they probably do a better job at picking, and drying at the proper time for those nice ,easy to peel, pretty white cloves. I especially like the garlic braids. But it is easy to grow too, I just planted some for next year. It does better if it feels the seasons, has a cold spell, but don't let it freeze. It likes well drained fertile soil. This is just a guess symbro, but I think it is similar to daffidals. I think you could plant it and if left to go it would spread, especially with cultivation to break up and spread the cloves, like naturalizing flower bulbs. If they were deep enough that it did not freeze you could probably dig some up year around to use fresh (not dryed). But if you have a plot of weeds, you will still have a plot of weeds all around the garlics, and it will probably be more work than mowing.

Carol