Using Cider Vinegar

piggy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Silverwings

carl first read about the use of these ftom an article by dutchman leen boers ,many years ago ,tried them saw the difference and have used them ever since , i know janssen bros used dead nettle , the plants are rich in minerals and vitamins b and c do a search on NETTLES ? gets those little blood vessels bursting along the keel ? what a lot of people refer to as Form spots ....ray

Guest slugmonkey

cider vinegar contains many compounds that are good for animals it has also been shown to increase PH and help your immune system to ward off antigens the live cultures in orgaic vinegar also foster the growth of good bacteria within an organism

Bit puzzled by one or two items in the article Bill,  especially the bit about carbon dioxide and the body 'craving' for it.  ??)

Yes, carbon dioxide is the fizzy bit in a fizzy drink... but added only to give it fizz!  :)

Because it is a dangerous gas which suffocates by removing oxygen from the atmosphere and it kills - like 'black damp' in coal mines; Black band fire extinguishers also use CO2 gas to put out fires by depriving them of oxygen.

'Removing more CO2 from the blood than normal' just doesn't make sense either as for every breath out, there's another one in ... achieving balance of gases.

And only organic apples ripen?  

The good Doctor also advises the everyday use of antibiotics in general pigeon management - I would therefore double-check anything he has to say on any subject!!  >:(

i have the same ,ankylosing spondulitisits[ no joke,],tried cider vinegar, never helped, but now trying, glucosamine sulphate,   thats how i cant sleep now, very painfull,i have every sympathy for you mate. as far as the birds go, cider vinegar is good . but i think we can all get carried away ,with too, many additives in the water.p.s hope your keeping better than me, at least we an help one another, as its quite a relatively rare desease, some forum members have been a great help to me, cheers mate, if i can be of any help, just p.m. me

Good article, Speight.   ;D

I agree with Jimmy, I think we all need to be brought down to earth now and again, even if just to check out our previous assumptions about products and their properties.

Sorry to hear you share the same health problem, Speight. I know that the current cold weather must be a particular problem for you both, and I wish to you both well. You'll also find JW quite a character !!!    ;D

Thank you, Bruno.

I think this is too young for me to have an arthritis, but keep trying to exercise as possible as i can,    and keep taking tablets and keep myself warm in the winter.

In the winter can be painful for me but i have to keep warm for myself and same to you, Jimmy white.

speight im on a very lot of medication ie anti inflamatory, [indomethacin]  pain killers [dihydrocodeine] and muscle relaxants [diazepam] also tablets for heart problems, and depression [beleive it or not :) :) ]but seriously, the desease with me is fairly advanced, and my goodness, do  know that,at times, my advice to you ,as a younger chap , is to keep as mobile as possible [sometime easier said than, done,] do exactly what your doctor says,and physiotherapist] join the ankylosing spondulitis association,[brunos advice to me] well worth it, try glucomine sulphate [roses advice]again no harm in trying as my doctor said, and speckleds advice, dont let it beat you, batter on, sound advice ill p.m you when i get some time, and good info, meanwhile had to laugh at my physiotherapist  :) :) :)TAKE A HOBBY THAT INVOLVES  LOOKING UP, TO KEEP YOUR NECK MOBILE I,E DARTS ETC ,I SAID I KEEP PIGEONS , SHE LAUGHED AND ACTUALLY PUT THAT ON HER LIST, SHE HAD NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT ONE BEFORE, MAYBE SHELL KEEP THEM NOW, SHE WAS CERTAINLY INTERESTED  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good one, Jimmy, keeping watching the skies.  ;D  ;D

My wifes friend remarked that I'd an exceptional tan. Where did I get it?

Try spending all-day Saturday in the sun waiting on pigeons coming home in their own time rather than my time, and you'll get the same results ... bottom half of sheet, but what a great tan!!!!  ;D   ;D   ;D

i was told to use the cider vinegar but you have got to put the gutflora back with live yoghurt as the vinegar will burn of the gutflora of the birds

Wings, how often do you gives live yogurts on the feed's?

Do you leave them dry foods or give food straight away to the birds?

Guest WINGS 04

speight i will tell you what we put in the water for the week when the birds come back from a races 1st thing is milton as this will sterilis the birds thourts from any thing they have picked up in the race baskets then they will get honey for the next 2 days as this in a natural antbiotic then we give cider vinegar for a day but we do not give vinegar every week but we would give yogurt aftere it say onest a fortnight   garlic for 2 day  this helps to pureofie the blood then we would give the birds clean water for a day we also use some belgica de weerd product as and when we need

• 1 month later...

Following the old cliché, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," may be credible for the pigeon fancier. Apples are one of the oldest, most nutritious foods on earth. They are rich in potassium. Calcium maintains our hard tissues such as bones, and potassium is the equivalent to the body's soft tissues, keeping the body's flesh and arteries soft and resilient. Fresh, organic apples are used to make Apple Cider Vinegar, which contains necessary ingredients, such as enzymes, and life stimulating minerals, mainly potassium, in a natural state. Besides being a natural stimulant for vitality, Apple Cider Vinegar cleanses and restores nutrients to the body so that the body can heal itself. Important for the pigeon fancier is the fact that Apple Cider Vinegar does not carry the E.Coli bacteria, as the acidity in the vinegar is effective in killing the 0-157 strains of E.Coli bacteria.

It should be in the natural state and not a pasteurized version. Pasteurization is the heating process intended to remove potential problem bacteria from consumable liquids such as milk, juices etc. However, this process will also remove delicate nutrients and enzymes that may constitute a major portion of the food value of that consumable. In the case of raw organic Apple Cider Vinegar liquids and tablets, pasteurization would eliminate the "mother", a major health giving factor of the vinegar. The mother is the dark, cloudy substance in the ACV – formed from naturally occurring pectin (fiber) and apple residues - it appears as molecules of protein connected in strand like chains. The presence of the mother shows that the best part of the apple has not been destroyed. Vinegars containing the mother contain enzymes and minerals that other vinegars may not contain due to over processing, filtration and overheating. ACV ranges in color from a light golden to orange. You'll know you've found natural ACV if you see sediment, referred to as the "mother" on the bottom of the bottle. The bottle should be shaken prior to use.

Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your bird. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin B1, B2, and B6, C,and E. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as acetic acid, malic acid, tarnaric acid, and propionic acid,

1 tablespoon per 4 litres (1.057 gal.) of water given to the birds twice a week seems to be a reasonable dosage for racing pigeons.

Real apple cider vinegar is a natural substance, but only if from a bio farm. It strengthens the immune system, as it is an excellent source of trace and micro elements. However, this is only true of vinegar derived from apples grown in a natural (e.g. grassy) environment free of fertilisers and insecticides. An apple that is artificially cultivated does not undergo real ripening, and so does not contain the biologically complete stock of micro elements of which it is genetically capable.

Apple cider vinegar is an ideal source of organic acid. Organic acids help digestion and the breaking down of food intake, and thus prevent the development of illnesses caused by undigested food.

It is widely known that acidity prevents the spread of coli bacteria and salmonellas. These pathogens like a gently alkaline environment in which they can really start to proliferate. Apple cider vinegar mixed in water prevents salmonella from spreading in the waterer. Its acidic effect continues to restrict pathogens, even in the pigeon’s intestines.

What is less well-known is that apple cider vinegar can be life-saving. Many have found that in hot weather pigeons’ rate of breathing can increase, dramatically if it is very hot, and pigeons breathe rapidly with their beaks open. On such occasions the increased exchange of air causes more carbon dioxide to leave the blood than normal. This leads to acid deficiency, and so the blood becomes increasingly alkaline (breathing alkalosis). Initially this process generates bad disposition, dizziness, then nausea, and, if it becomes more extreme, death. In hot weather we pine for soft drinks with lemon and carbon dioxide in order to compensate for the acid deficiency. If at such times we give our pigeons water with apple cider vinegar, we can save their lives.

In prolonged heat we can achieve even more with a little apple cider vinegar than this. For in addition to the changing pH of the blood, potentially fatal processes are taking place in the digestive system.

Heat is a powerful stressor, but is bad for digestion in and of itself, as the vessels in the skin, lungs, etc. expand, while the vessels supplying the digestive system contract. Thus in hot weather consumption of food declines, meaning that good intestinal bacteria do not have adequate nutrition, and so the acid they produce also decreases. Meanwhile, as we have seen, the alkalinity of the blood grows, which is life-threatening. Simply put, the body attempts to compensate for this by taking acid away from the digestive system, further increasing its alkalinity. As the heat stress has already reduced the resistance of the digestive system, all these factors mean that conditions are ideal for the fast proliferation of salmonellas lurking in the intestines.

Thus in hot weather there is every chance that a paratyphoid epidemic will flare up. In most cases, all this can be prevented by a simple acidification of drinking water with apple cider vinegar.

Like anything else, apple cider vinegar can be overdosed. In too great a quantity it can even damage good intestinal bacteria. The high quantity of acid absorbs calcium (lime) and removes it from the system, which results in motor and reproductive problems. So overdoses of apple vinegar should be avoided. The dose for 5% apple cider vinegar is 4-8ml per litre of drinking water, 1-3 times a week. If we administer it more regularly, e.g. in prolonged hot weather, we should choose a lower level of concentration.

In addition, we can use apple cider vinegar for the disinfection of objects, e.g. waterers, or more precisely for the subsequent acidification of a sterilized set of trays. This prevents the spread of salmonellas in the outside world. We should use it for this purpose to wash the floor of the loft, observing caution, especially in enclosed spaces, because acidic gases in the air can reach dangerous concentrations.

To all the view's I've sent a pm to Chris Vasey on the UNC Forum.

Stephen(UNC Member) and Rose(Pigeonbasic Member) got a good point, In my opinions : You and Ian Snaith is a good fanciers but you and Ian is only LURKING on the Pigeonbasic Forum - not posting anything on the Pigeonbasics to help the members in the UK and outside the UK,

You and Ian Snaith are the only one posting on the UNC Forum to help fanciers, why not Pigeonbasic Forum?.

You and Ian Snaith are a tight fanciers - to not helping Pigeonbasic forum members - are my opinions....

Speight