tested the birds droppins today

Guest karl adams

No offence, Karl, is that treatment enough? I too had hair worm at this time of year 2 years ago. Was advised to treat [ with Levamisol] in water for 3 days, and to re-treat 3 weeks later.

Guest frank dooman
No offence, Karl, is that treatment enough? I too had hair worm at this time of year 2 years ago. Was advised to treat [ with Levamisol] in water for 3 days, and to re-treat 3 weeks later.

moxidectine is 24hr treatmeant ian so are some others

Guest karl adams

i got the microscope out today and used testing the birds as an excuse  to stay at home as the miss wanted me to go shopping again ;D ;D ;D

when she got back i was testing the droppings she said   its took  you 5 hours to test the birds

i said yes but if i had a better microscope i could do them in a hour  ;) ;)

my next move is to find a site that dose the good ens and the show her lol ;) ;) ;)

i got the microscope out today and used testing the birds as an excuse  to stay at home as the miss wanted me to go shopping again ;D ;D ;D

when she got back i was testing the droppings she said   its took  you 5 hours to test the birds

i said yes but if i had a better microscope i could do them in a hour  ;) ;)

my next move is to find a site that dose the good ens and the show her lol ;) ;) ;)

i bet that will cost a good  few shopping trips though  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i may have young in the nest then tho i should of  tested them earlya  really   :-/

its hard to tell from the photos but it don't look to serious personally i don't like giving anything to the birds while there feeding young ones some might say it has no effect and maybe so but i think the natural antibodies that pumped into the young ones from its parents is of the up most importance and u may never know how this will be affected

jmo

Hi Carl

treat your birds for hair worm. You must not allow them to have hair worm because they can do serious damage to the gut. Clean your feeders and drinkers with a good distinfectant but do not leave distinfectant residue on them.

Nice to see that you have worked out how to focus the microscope.

You will need to test them again in about a week to ten days because hair worm can be very hard to shift. I would use Moxidectine at this time of the year because some of your birds could have a flight or two to go.

I am going away to Cornwall today for a couple of days. I'll talk to you when I get back.

Happy Xmas

Owen

i may have young in the nest then tho i should of  tested them earlya  really   :-/

Going back to my own experience, was late testing too, and advice I was given was that worm life cycle at this time of year is a lot longer - many weeks, so leave treatment until after breeding. I didn't take that advice, because I recognised suspect droppings from Wim Peters description and reckoned these [new] birds at least needed treatment right away. Vet agreed with my decision, but he told me to redo them 3 weeks after the initial treatment.

Didn't do that as birds would be feeding youngsters and I knew that whatever I gave them would end up in crop milk. Think a dewormer is last thing a youngster in the nest needs. So after initial treatment, I used herbal stuff, and droppings test at end of that year was clear for worms.