squabs leg

snowy

Personally, other than the single instance I posted, have had no problems with single reared youngsters, and that is the way I normally rear them. Should also have mentioned that my cousin keeps a pot egg in the nest with single reared youngsters as he feels this helps prevent the 'splay' problem. Reckon Fifer's bean bag will act in much the same way as this egg.

Not quite same theme, but touches on other problem of less than 100% hatch which Fifer raised. Think this is always a risk breeding 'early', especially in the colder North. Have only put my birds up last night (went like a dream .. maybe I'd better check again 'case it WAS a dream   ;D ) Have only had problems twice: (1)  paired up Jan 1st and (2) last winter (2004/2005) had the birds on 3/4 depurative for months. In both cases, never again.

THE BEAN BAG THEARY IS JUST SO THE ONE YOUNGSTER CANNOT SLIDE ABOUT, MORE SO IF ITS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE NEST BOWL WITH ITS FEET SLIPPING, I REMEMBER THE OLD TYPE NEST BOWL, STILL A FEW GOING ABOUT, THEY GOT VERY NARROW AT THE BOTTOM, SOME OF U MAY HAVE SEEN THEM, BUT KEAP NEST FELTS (I USE PACKED HAY) AND PLENTY STRAW, WHAT U HAVE GOT TO WATCH WITH THE BEAN BAG THAT IF THE YOUNGSTER IS VERY SMALL IT COULD COVER IT, I WAIT UNTIL THE YOUNGSTER IS GETTING MOVING ABOUT, SO LONG AS ITS NOT TOO LATE, BEST THING IS KEEP YHE BOTTOM OF THE NEST PAN COVERED WITH NEST FELT  ETC.

Whenever I've got a single youngster in the nest, I make sure I leave a pot egg in. Take it out around 14 days I'd guess, but it doesnt really matter. Had a small problem with angel wing (or what I thought was angel wing) one year, putting the egg in seemed to sort this too :)

See page 173 of Flying Vets Pigeon Health and Management :)

During growth the shafts of the primary feathers (as with all feathers) are full of blood. This makes them heavy. Also, initially during growth, bones are made of cartilage, which unlike mature bone, can be shaped and bent. .... Until they (bones) become mineralised with calcium the bones of the wrist (carpus) are not strong enough to support the weight of the blood-filled feathers, which cause an outward rotation of the lower wing at the wrist. Fortunately, in most cases this is self-correcting. ... This condition usually does not occur when two youngsters are in the nest as each youngster tends to offer support for the other while they pass through this growth phase.