nesting material

mobster

Guest TAMMY_1

I  ALL WAYS PUT A NEST FELT IN EVERY NESTBOWL AND THEN I CHOP UP TOBACCO STALKS INTO PIECES 4 INCHES LONG APPROXIMATELY AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS AND DEFINATELY NO LICE OR SUCH LIKE.

Tammy

Just be careful with the nest felts. Over the past 3/4 years a lot of flyers in the USA have been loosing babies at one or two days old in the nest and it's been proved beyond any reasonable doubt that some nest felts imported from Belgium have not been treated correctly and are harbouring bacteria which is killing newly hatched birds.

Guest TAMMY_1

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION HYACINTH I DONT KNOW WHERE THEY COME FROM BUT  I WILL CERTAINLY CHECK.I WONT BE NEEDING ANY MORE THIS YEAR AS I HAVE BRED ALL MY YOUNG BIRDS BUT INFORMATION LIKE THIS IS WELL RECIEVED.

Guest TAMMY_1

HI PECKED HEN , I ALLWAY'S CHANGE NESTFELT'S AFTER THEY ARE SITTING ON THEIR NEXT PAIR OFF EGGS. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE TELL YOU NOT TOO TOUCH NESTS OR EGGS BUT IF THE NESTBOWL IS IN THE SAME PLACE THE BIRDS GO BACK ON THE EGGS NO PROBLEM

Guest TAMMY_1

HELLO WESTY, I WOULD STRONGLY RECCOMEND NESTFELTS ALLTHOUGH HYACINTH HAS POINTED OUT THAT THEY WERE HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH THEM  I FIND THAT YOU ALLWAYS GET THE ODD PAIR OF BIRDS WILL NOT PUT A LOT OF EFFORT IN THEIR NESTS AND A NESTFELT ALLWAYS MAKES SURE YOU WILL NEVER GET EGGS CHILLED BECAUSE OF SITTING ON A COLD BOWL.BUT IT IS THE SAME AS EVERYTHING ELSE DIFFERENT PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT RESULTS WITH WHATEVER THEY USE.

i have 2 tumblers in a rabbit hutch and on saturday i will let them out all day and they made a nest out of pine tree little branches the had straw but prefferd that has anyone heard of that.

Have a leylandii hedge which is a type of pine, Martin. Usually leave some cuttings left over from trimming under it and I have noted that the birds bring it in as twigs for their nests.  Reckon its pretty good exercise for them too. Can be quite comical at times watching them carrying 'trees'. Remember too one cock building in a corner, no sooner out the door and every other cock raided that corner for their own nest box.

I've used nest felts I was given for my first round - there were no problems with them but, do you discard them or reuse?  I've just given them a shake and the new eggs are on them but...??? :-/

Do much the same (dust & shake-out) except I turn mine upside down for the second round.. Don't know which type you are using ... the tan-brown 'rockwooly' type or the black latex-rubbery type?

The wooly type unravels, and I've found the birds pick at it while sitting - ends up looking like knitting and can snarl up the youngbirds feet. Bin after second use and don't replace them.

Rubber type can be washed, disnifected and re-used... this is my third year using them.