Open Beak Breathing / Panting

Guest Greenways

Guest Greenways

Hi. I wondered if anybody had this before. When I let my race team out for a fly after about 10-15 minutes they land and are opened mouthed and panting for breath like mad. If it was just one I would take it out of the team but this is the whole team. Could it be the weather???

Guest jason

heres a tip to find out if it is a problem.........

when your birds are in and the weather is cooling, say after tea, then hold each pigeon with its beak shut and look 'sideways on' to the beak, if you can see daylight between the upper and lower beak then there is a respitory problem. if no light can be seen all is fine.

All animals pant when its too warm for them.

hope this helps

jason

Guest TAMMY_1
heres a tip to find out if it is a problem.........

when your birds are in and the weather is cooling, say after tea, then hold each pigeon with its beak shut and look 'sideways on' to the beak, if you can see daylight between the upper and lower beak then there is a respitory problem. if no light can be seen all is fine.

All animals pant when its too warm for them.

hope this helps

jason

would that be the same Jason if we held you up and looked sideways on at your head and looked through your ears and saw daylight there would be a problem of some sort ? like empty head syndrome

it would defo shine threw your ears!! :P

dont fink so pete u neva seen the size of his head it would be like looking through an endless tunnel full of nuffin ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guest TAMMY_1

pmsl!!! ;D ;D ;D will have to meet tam one day so i can judge for myself,

thats why he dont work!! his head to big  ;)

i dont work when there are idiots like you and sammy and alf that pay income tax so i can laze about all day when im no workin with the doos ;D

i dont work when there are idiots like you and sammy and alf that pay income tax so i can laze about all day when im no workin with the doos ;D

ok big head wan of these days we gonna get ya a job ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guest TAMMY_1

ok big head wan of these days we gonna get ya a job ;D ;D ;D ;D

got wan every saturday, helping to control our doos and thats hard enough  ;D

Hi. I wondered if anybody had this before. When I let my race team out for a fly after about 10-15 minutes they land and are opened mouthed and panting for breath like mad. If it was just one I would take it out of the team but this is the whole team. Could it be the weather???

If they are particularly fat and unfit you might get this till they get a bit fitter but to be on the safe side you could alwas take 3 or 4 for a quick spin from 15 or 20 miles say and see what happens if they perform particularly badly get some ornicure and treat or you will lose the lot.

Guest TAMMY_1

thats right westy , pigeons cant sweat, they tend do this to cool down,,,,but can be a sign of stress , or as me says , slightly unfitness and a  decent fly can put this right, again depends on the air quality

Just like to pick out on the point mentioned here about stress doing the same, on occasions , plenty of them this year,that when the peregrine attacked my birds and they came battering down to get in they look as if they are really gasping for breath, with beak wide open and throat going like the clappers