flights

CHUNK73

alright old yellow do you think it will grow again he is 1 of my consistant birds

well it will only re grow when goes through moult again unless its pulled once theres no blood there , but this could randomise the moult , im not 100% sure maybe some of the older guys would know better as come across this  ;)

once you are sure the feather has stopped growing you can quite safely pull it out and the bird will grow a new one with no adverse effects at this time of year, it happened with one of my hens last winter she damaged last 2 flights when trying to dodge a sparrowhawk i had no choice but to pull them otherwise she could not race she rewarded me by getting 8th section in nfc from alencon so there you go proof that you have got time to rescue the situation

once you are sure the feather has stopped growing you can quite safely pull it out and the bird will grow a new one with no adverse effects at this time of year, it happened with one of my hens last winter she damaged last 2 flights when trying to dodge a sparrowhawk i had no choice but to pull them otherwise she could not race she rewarded me by getting 8th section in nfc from alencon so there you go proof that you have got time to rescue the situation

any adverse efect on the moult been staggered ? as some throw flytes random rather in sets ?

Different circumstances, but still concerns the end flight: I purchased a cock at Blackpool a few years back, and he somehow injured and pulled out a newly moulted fully-grown end flight. I thought he'd pulled the follicle out with it cos there was something extra on the bottom of the shaft. But it did grow back within the normal 6/7 weeks.

But I think you need to be careful when talking about pulling a deformed flight that had never been fully grown. Part grown flights have a blood supply. Fully-grown flights don't, as the blood supply closes off in the follicle.

I'd be worried that there was still an active blood supply between the follicles & the stumps, albeit closed off by a clot at the broken ends. I could not begin to guess when the blood supply would close off in this case, has anyone had specific experience of this?