Obituary

THE FIFER

Obituary

Willie Kinnear of Danderhall, Edinburgh, I was very sorry to hear of the passing of Willie who flew in partnership with his son Barry as W Kinnear & Son in Pentland Hills Federation. They have been excellent Federation flies for many years competing from the first race i.e. Christmas race right to the last race in the programme. The name of Willie & Barry Kinnear are known throughout the UK with the highlight being their winning the Scottish National Flying Club coveted Gold Cup race from La Ferte Bernard in 2004. This wonderful pigeon named as ‘Auld Reekie’ after Edinburgh the capital of Scotland. Also won the Dewar Trophy for Scotland’s ‘Bird of the Year’ in 2004 and 2005. I was privileged to visit their family home for a loft report on this Gold Cup win and I took a photograph of the SNFC Gold Cup with their loft in the background. I used this as the front page for the SNFC web site while being the club press officer of the club. The Kinnear partnership went on to win the SNFC Ypres national in 2009 with ‘Young Reekie’ and have achieved many other top positions over the years. They won their first SNFC Gold Awards (for a bird to win 5 times from France) in 1996 with ‘Back to Basics’ He also won the following awards being winner of 1st place coefficient Euro Bird of the year, he was also the winner of SHU Dewar Trophy for Scotland bird of the Year and he won over £10,000 during his racing career. The partners won their 2nd Gold Award in 2016 with ‘Poppy’ who also won the Dewar Trophy for Scotland’s Bird of the year in 2000. Their success continued as they won SNFC Silver Awards (birds to win 3 times from France) in the following years 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015. Unfortunately Willie has not kept the best of health over the past few years and spent the last few years in nursing care, and his wife Pat (unfortunately she has not kept the best of health either). To Pat, sons Barry, Brian, Ross & Russell and their wives, partners and to each and every one of their grandchildren, we send out heartfelt condolences at their sad loss. Willie may no longer be with us but his name will live for ever in the annuals of the Scottish pigeon sport. Rest in peace my old friend.

Joe Murphy Scottish Scribe