The Joe Murphy Column 7/6/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

Firstly can I THANK all the people who phoned enquiring about my health after reading it in my column last week, this was very kind of everyone and a family also sent me a Get Well Card which was very much appreciated. I also had a lot of requests regarding cutting down my stock pigeons and I’m happy to say that the purchasers are more than happy with the quality of birds they received. I wish them well in the future and hope they continue breeding the quality of pigeons I have had from them. This weekend 2nd June is the first SNFC race from Buckingham so we are going up to Kevin’s once we hear if the birds have been liberated. His team have come into form these past 2 weeks so let’s hope he does well from the national. I spoke to him last night and he is sending 10 birds which is a good entry. Yes we discussed the Space Weather forecast hence he is not putting all his birds into this first race. Good luck to all who compete and let us hope we get a good race and returns are good for the remainder of the season.

Results

Arbroath RPC had 6 members sending 124 birds to Newark a distance of 251 miles, the Federation convoy of 560 birds were liberated into a north east wind at 10-45am. First and 3rd club is Kevin J Murphy with the winner a roundabout hen, she is from a Billy Bilsland cock mated to a Tom & Scott McEwen hen. This hen won 1st prize as a youngster.Kevin’s 2nd bird is a roundabout cock being from a Daniel Aerens mealy cock when mated to a Euro Diamond hen bred by Crammond & Langstaff of Fontwell. Second club are Charlie & Glen Cameron with a 2 year old blue cock that scored at SNFC Bedhampton in 2017. Heis from the best of my dad’s bloodlines. Sire was a pigeon who raced well for 6years himself being from a son of Snow cap winner of 3rd open SNF CReims when paired to Serendipity a 3 times in the first 20 open in SNFC races.The dam is a daughter of Little Dorrie winner of 3rd open SNFC Reims when paired to a son of Castres of Leon Messiaen.

Angus Federation result as follows; Ian Scott of Forfar is 1st3rd 6th 9th 12th 13th& 14th open with past national winner Davie Glen in 2nd5th 11th & 17th open. Macaulay Fergusonand Curran are 4th with Eric Galloway in 7th 8th& 18th open. Kenny Droog & son also from Forfar are 10thwith club mate Bob Baldie in 15th place. Kevin J Murphy of Arbroathclub is 16th & 20th with club mates Charlie &Glen Cameron in 19th position.

The East section is again dominated by Arbroath members Kevin J Murphy who is 1st 3rd8th 9th & 10th with Charlie & Glen Cameron in 2nd 4th 5th 6th & 7th positions.

Club winners; Forfar 370birds won by Ian Scott; Montrose 35 birds won by M Wallace & son; Gourdon31 bird’s winners D & D Hay; Arbroath 124 bird’s winner Kevin J Murphy

AyrshireFederation

Archie McIntyre informs us that the federation were at Bub with for the 5th race ofthe season a distance of between 175 miles to 209 miles across the membership of the federation. Jim O’Hare had the convoy of 986 birds (a drop of 262 birds on the previous week’s race) away at 08-45 hours which was 15 minutes after Lanarkshire federation released. This was into a light north wind changing to light south east on route. Reports from the liberation site were that the birds cleared well at the race point. Leading the way into Ayrshire this week from Bub with is Ricky Young Junior who flies in the Darvel HS club his 1st federation winner on 1470.5 was a yearling cock sent feeding two big young birds. This chequer cock is bred down from Ricky’s good friend Tam Blair’sbirds and he is the same way bred as Ricky’s Portsmouth section winner. For the2nd week running and following on from his 2nd , 3rd & 5th fed in the previous weeks race from Ripon, Andy Barbour team of pigeons put up another exceptional performance to record, 2nd , 3rd , 4th , 5th, 6th , 7th ,8th ,9th ,18th& 19th federation for a distance of 206 miles recording his first 6 pigeons in 4 seconds. First pigeon into the loft for Andy winning 2nd fed, 1st section on 1454.4 is a Herman Ceuster x Bart Geerinckx yearling henf lying on the roundabout system. This hen has flown all 5 races so far this season her sire was bred by Andy’s good friend Ian Hunter from Polmont and the dam was purchased from Premier Stud. This yearling hen did not race as a young bird but was well trained. 3rd fed, 2nd section from Andy on 1454.3 is a 2 year old hen flying on the roundabout system. This hen has also had all 5 races so far this season. Her sire is one of Andy’s Hardy Kruger pigeons and is a son of “Black Sky” who is a Grand Son & great grandson of Hardy’s top pigeon, ‘Black Power’. The dam comes from Galaxy Lofts and she is a De Witt x De Klak Janssen. The sire of this hen is a direct son from Herbot’s National Winner from Bourges and is the sire of 30 x 1st club winners and 18 x 1st federation winners.

North Section 452 birds; 1st,2nd and 3rd Andy Barbour (Dalry HS) 1454.4, 1454.3 and 1454.2

Central Section 223 birds; 1stR Young Jnr (Darvel HS) 1470.5 2nd E Diamond (Irvine HS) 1445.4 3rdW Julyan (Cross house HS) 1440.2

South Section 311 birds; 1stJ & S Galloway (Cumnock & District) 1437.6

2nd E Stewart (Mauchline &District) 1421.9 and 3rd W Knox (Whitletts & District) 1411.3

Club Winners not mentioned:

Ardeer HS winners Stirrat & McKenna1447.9; Kilwinning HS J & T Davidson 1439.3; Kilmarnock HS; I Scope 1323.6,Dalmellington PC; S Boyce 1242.7

Carrick & District winner H L Gray 1146.2;Annbank & District winner D Graham 1389.5

Joe, I have also included pictures of the 1st& 2nd federation winners. I have had to use Andy Barbour’s picture from the previous week’s race as I have not managed to get one for the Bub with race as Andy has been away. Many Thanks once again Joe wishing you all the best Archie’.

Andy Miller see Pentlandhills text

Andy Miller (see Pentlandhills text) (1).jpg

Andy Barbour

Andy Barbour.jpg

Ricky Young 1st Fed Bubwith

Ricky Young 1st Fed Bubwith.jpg

Almond Valley federation news from Lynne Stewart with the Wetherby result; the 1049 birds were liberated at 09-30 hours with Dougie Bald of Balerno club taking the top prize. S Fleming of Armadale is 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 10th 11th & 20th with J Burnside of the same club in 6th & 9th positions. J Hadfield of the same Armadale club is 7th & 8th with D McBeath from the same club in 12th 13th 15th 17th & 18th he is split for the 14th spot by club mate T Gavin who is also 16th and making up the top 20 isJ ohn Bird of West Calder.

Club Winnersare as follows;

Armadale 344birds; S Fleming 1337.297, 1337.194, 1332.974, 1332.666

Balerno 183birds; D Bald 1352.641, 1297.701, C Ross 1284.727, 1265.277

Carnwath 130birds; Thomson Bros 1259.640, I Thomson 1132.219, J Dornan 1130.037, RRobertson 1111.909

East Calder 110birds; F Jamieson & Son 1242.126, 1230.310, 1228.512, Mr Mrs Fleming1228.480

Forth &Clyde 186 birds; Cairns & Hardie 1294.337, I McLelland 1262.880, 1251.550,1247.2807

West Calder 96birds; J Bird 1298.423, 1297.633, 1286,675, 1286.481

Balerno

News from Colin Bain who writes ‘We were at Wetherby this week Joe with 7 members sending 183 birds these were liberated at 09-30 hours into a north east wind.Taking the 1st prize is Douglas Bald with a 2 year old blue cock doing a velocity of 1352 breeding is David Reed Vandenabeele blood lines. Dougie is also 2nd with a blue 2 year old hen on 1297 same way bred as thewinner both raced not mated. 3rd & 4th places goes to Colin Ross with his first bird a yearling blue hen on 1284 and his next bird a 2year old chequer cock on 1265 both on roundabout. Best wishes to you and Kevin for the Scottish national Joe yours Colin B’.

The East of Scotland

News from John Baillie who informs us that the federation were at Newark this week; the convoy were liberated at 11-00 hours into a north east wind. John Bird of Prestonpans club had a great team performance taking the 1st x 5 open positions inthe Federation. Jim McNeil of Tranent keeps up his consistency in 6th place, with yours truly John Baillie of Tranent in 7th & 10thopen places. Tam Hunnam of Port Seton is in 8th open with Keith Howie of Prestonpans taking the 9th position.

Prestonpans HC. This week taking the 1stx 5 positions is John Bird, his first 2 were Vandenabeele yearlings both bredby Brian Shipley of Woodland Lofts. The 1st clubs sire is Golden Pantini and the dam a direct daughter of Cruise Missile and grand draughter of Shadow. This cock was 2nd fed from Ripon a fortnight ago. The hen taking 2nd club sire is a son of New Bandiet when paired to National Carrie and the dam is a double granddaughter of Shadow. Taking 3rd placeis the 2 year old Herman Ceusters cock that now has 3 federation tickets thisyear, (these being 3rd fed Tow Law, 5th fed Wakefield and this week 3rd fed Newark). At clock checking later that evening quite a few birds missing with some working in later into the night and on Sunday. The mist rolled in on the Saturday nightand stayed till early Sunday lunch time and we have never seen Fife since last Friday due to the poor visibility. That's it for this week all the best to you and Kevin for the coming Scottish nationals yours John B’.

Fife Federation

News from Geordie Todd with the Leicester open racewith 80 members sending 1724 birds these were liberated at 11-15 into a northto north east wind. Taking 1st & 15th open andwinning 1st & 3rd centre section is Erskine & sonof Novar club. The next fancier had a fantastic race winning 1st 2nd3rd & 4th east section 2nd 4th5th 6th 9th 14th & 16thopen is Brian Chalmers of Kennoway. Dean Bridges of Glenrothes club is 2ndcentre section 3rd open with George Anderson of Perth Club is 1st& 4th west section 7th & 13th openwith Alistair McCudden of Crossgates club in 2nd west section &8th open. M Henderson of Lochgelly club is 3rd westsection 11th open.

North of Scotland Federation

News from George Duthie with the result of the Sedgefield race flown on 26th May with 64 members sending 1085 birds to this 217 miles race point, the birds were liberated at 08-00 hours into a brisk north to north east wind and broken cloud.The west section took the first 6 open positions with J Cumming of Buckie &District in the top position with a velocity of 1153. Fulton & Ritchie of Devern Valley club are 2nd 5th 12th section 15th open. Club mate A Milne is 3rd 17th west section 3rd& 22nd open. P W Thompson of Elgin & District is 4th section and open. Ronnie Wilson of Keith is 6th section and open.Colin McRae of Fraserburgh & District is 1st 2nd 3rd& 7th east section 7th 11th 12th& 29th open. A Wilson of Devern Valley is 7th 10th18th 19th 20th & 23rd west section 8th 13th 24th 25th 26th & 30th open. A MacGillivray of Elgin & District is 8th west section 9thopen club mates B & N Hadden are 9th west section 10thopen. J Abel of Devern Valley is 11th& 21st west section 14th & 27th open.G R Duncan of Keith club is 13th west section 16th open with A Foster of Inverurie club in 4th east section 17th open he is followed by club mates Eric & Nicky Yule in 5th &6th east section 18th & 23rd open. Jack& Reid of Elgin & District are 14th & 15thwest section 19th & 20th open with Ryan Hay &Family of Devern Valley in 22nd west section 28th open

East Section 32 members sent 584 birds as I’ve mentioned above Colin McRae takes the first3 places plus 7th section A Foster of Inverurie club is 4th section 17th open with Eric & Nicky Yule of the same club in 5th6th & 9th section 18th 23rd& 34th open. A Higgins of Fraserburgh West End club is 8th& 10th section 33rd & 35th open.

West Section 32members sent 501 birds I have covered these first 10 section birds in theabove federation top 20 positions.

Clubs First Bird

Buckie & District winner is J Cumming. DevernValley winner Fulton & Ritchie; Elgin & District winner P W Thompson;Keith winner R Wilson; Fraserburgh & District winner C McRae; Inverurie winner A Foster; Fraserburgh WestEnd winner A Higgins; Peterhead & District winner G Findlay. Well done to J Cumming on topping thefederation and a well done to C McRae on winning the East section.

Buckie

Result from Gavin Russell who writes, ‘we were at Sedgefield on the 26th May with the birds liberated at 08-00 hours anapproximate distance of 217 miles to members lofts. Winning 1st club1st federation is John Cumming with a yearling blue bar cock doing a velocity of 1153 he was flying just paired up to a hen. His sire is Wildermeersch crossed Johnnie Strachan of Inverallochy while his dam is bred down from Ritchie & Whyte ‘Storm Queen’ lines. John is also 2nd club with a yearlingblue chequer cock doing a velocity of 826 flying natural. His sire the Millar’sfrom Wick while his dam is from Johnnie Strachan. 3rd club is yourstruly Gavin Russell with a 2 year old dark chequer cock on 684 he was flying naturaland is a Busschaert x Gyselbrechts. This turned out to be a very hard race witha lot of empty perches; as a matter of interest Joe, John Cummings bird wins its 2nd race of the season with ‘The cream on the cake’ forJohn was topping the federation well done, cheers for now Gavin Russell’.

Pentland Hills Federation

The New Lothian RPC & Pentland Hills Federation had their 6th race of the 2018 season from Newark, a distanceof 210-222 miles for the members. Race controller Bobby Graham gave the goahead to liberate later than usual at 11-00 am into a north east wind; this wasdue to low cloud early morning. A slower/stiffer race was expected than theblow homes of the first 5 weeks racing. Winning 1st New Lothian and1st Federation is yours truly Andy Miller from Sighthill club on1299 velocity. I timed a yearling widowhood cock having his 3rd raceof the season. Incidentally he was my federation breeder buyer last year as ayoungster, as was his sire the year previous. His nest brother dropped behindhim to take 2nd New Lothian and 2nd fed as well. Sire isa Koopman Van Dyke crossed Galaxy Lofts purchased at Doncaster show from K &M Walton sale. Dam is a Janssen who has a 6th open young birdnational from Buckingham to her credit. Returns were mixed as can be expectedwith the first tester of the season. Pentland Hills had 13 clubs sending 2556birds with Sighthill’s Andy Miller winning 1st 2nd &5th places. S Gilchrist of Edinburgh Premier is 3rdplace. Andy’s club mate Stevie Girdwood is 4th & 6thwith Danderhall’s Martin Bennett in 7th place 3 yards ahead of clubmates T Nolan & son with Willie Kinnear & son from the same Danderhallclub are in 9th spot. Bobby Graham & son of the same club makeup the top 10th position.

Club Winners are as follows;

Sighthill 148 birds; 1st& 2nd Miller 3rd Girdwood

Edinburgh Premier 171birds; 1st2nd & 3rd Gilchrist

Danderhall 652 birds; 1stBennett 2nd Nolan 3rd Kinnear

Edinburgh West 82 birds; 1stC Bennett 2nd & 3rd Lamb

Woodburn 132 birds; 1st& 3rd Brown & Black 2nd Allen

Castlebrae 97 birds; 1st& 2nd Willis 3rd L Mitchell

Bonnyrigg 206 birds; 1stNeill 2nd Stark 3rd Smith

Arniston 205 birds; 1stJ Pryde 2nd & 3rd W Pryde & son

Loanhead 108 birds; 1stMurray 2nd Anderson 3rd Simpson

Easthouses 171 birds; 1st& 2nd Sanderson 3rd Reilly

Rosewell 71 birds; 1st& 2nd G Tytler 3rd Gibson

Traprain 433 birds; 1st& 2nd Newcombe & Black 3rd Thomson

New Lothian 80 birds;

New Lothian RPC had 64 loftssending 1596 birds liberated at 11-00 hours into a north east wind. Thefederation and New Lothian press officer Andy Miller of Sighthill wins 1st2nd & 5th places with his winner lifting £111.00. SGilchrist of Edinburgh Premier is 3rd place. Stevie Girdwood ofSighthill is 4th & 6th with his 2nd pigeonwinning £60.00 for his efforts. Danderhall’s Martin Bennett in 7thplace 3 yards ahead of club mates T Nolan & son with Willie Kinnear &son from the same Danderhall club are in 9th spot winning £40.00.Bobby Graham & son of the same club make up the top 10thposition.

Pentland Hills federation held their yearling nomination race last Wednesdayfrom Peterborough. Winning 1st open was the ace loft of Tony Youngfrom Danderhall whose timer was his fancied widowhood hen pigeon bred by BrianLavery from Prestonpans from a Geerinckx cock on loan from Jimmy Mark fromTranent, when paired to a Wade Bros from West Auckland Andre Roodhooft hen.

Good SNFC Birds

This week I’m going to cover 5 birds that have done well in past national races and hopefully some of them may have added to theirtotal from last week’s Buckingham race. I start in Fife with the first loft of Clark Clark & Page of Leven club who had a blue cock SU15F 2553 who has won 4 times in 2 years in the national. In 2016 he won 70th section C 279th open from Buckingham a distance of 279 miles, a few weeks later he was sent to Littlehampton a distance of 386 miles and he won 64th section C 228th open. Last year he again entered the Buckingham race and he was up with the winners being 27th section C 81st open a few weeks later he was sent to Bedhampton a distance of 378 miles and he won 40th section C 131st open gaining his 4th national diploma. We now move a few miles north to the village of Kennoway to the loft of Sean Diamond whose chequer white flight cock SU14F 3177 is another pigeon that has 4 national diplomas. As a youngster he won 35th section C from Buckingham a distance of 302 miles. Then as a yearling he was sent to Eastbourne a distance of 401 miles and he won 29th section C 93rd open. In 2016 he was sent tothe Gold Cup event from Reims and he won 22nd section C 76th open flying 566 miles. Then last year he was again sent to the first inland national from Buckingham and won 11th section C 54th open so another top quality pigeon. We now head north to the Angus federation loft of Macaulay Ferguson & Curran of Forfar whose blue bar cock SU14AF 2151 has scored 4 times in national races. In 2016 he won 29th section C 82nd open from Littlehampton a distance of 415 miles, hethen went to the last old bird race of the year from Roye and won 33rd section C 108th open flying 534 miles to his loft. Then in 2017 hewas sent to Bedhampton a distance of 408 miles and won 91st section C 349th open again he was sent to the last old bird race of the season this time from Falaise a distance of 551 miles and he won 14th section C 45th open so one more section win from the channel and this will gain him his SNFC Silver Award. Moving now to my old mate Mark Doran of Broxburn who has a blue bar hen SU14CA 653 as a youngster she won 2nd section D 44th open from the young bird national from Buckingham a distance of 290 miles. We now jump to 2016 whenshe again won from Buckingham this time only a section prize of 32nd D. Last year she was entered into the Bedhampton race a distance of 366 miles and she won 62nd section D 528th open, she was then entered into the last old bird national from Falaise and she won 1st section D 16th open flying 511 miles. Last but not least we come tothe loft of K Thomson of Muffat whose pied cock SU13S 1665 has won 4 open inland certificates. In 2016 he was entered intothe Buckingham race a distance of 244 miles and he won 194th open(no section prize) he was then sent to Littlehampton and again gained an open prize 327th then in 2017 he was entered into the Buckingham race and won 318th open and a few weeks later went to Bedhampton a distance of 319 miles and won 5th section A 33rd open. We wish allt he above fanciers all the best with their birds in the forthcoming national racing season. Good Luck one and all.

Joe’s Joke

A turkey was chatting with a bull.

'I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree' sighed the turkey, 'but I haven't got the energy.'

‘Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?' replied the bull. They're packed with nutrients.'

The turkey pecked at a lump of dung and found it actually gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree.

The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch.

Finally, after a fourth night, the turkey was proudly perched at the top of the tree.

He was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shothim out of the tree.

Moral ofthe story:

Bullshit might getyou to the top, but it won't keep you there.