Joe Murphy Column 8/3/18

THE FIFER

The Joe Murphy Column

What a week this has turned out to be with theweather utterly atrocious with snow; frost and a bitter cold north east wind;we were put on Red Alert today Wednesday 28th February with everyoneadvised to stay indoors and not to drive. I closed the windows that allow thebirds to go into the aviary as the snow was blowing into the loft and if thereis one thing I can’t stand is a wet floor or dampness in the loft. When I went intothe birds the drinkers were frozen solid and this was with them in the loft so thatthe birds could get a drink. As for cleaning out you would have been betterwith a hammer and chisel to lift the droppings and believe it or not some of mybirds have laid their first egg. I thought that with it being so cold they may havebeen a few days later in laying but they must be in good order and now the newseason begins.

Presentation

Received information from Andrew Eadie of the Cambusnethan & Morningside club annual award ceremonywith guests for the evening Angus Orr of Brighton who along with his father hadsome cracking positions over the last few seasons SNFC best positions being 2ndsection 6th open, 5th section 46th open from Alencon.5th section 57th open, 12th section 125thopen, 20th section 200th open, 25th section& 229th open; Second guest was Davie Jamieson of East Calder hispositions at the distance are second to none, the best being 2nd& 3rd open Ancenis is 2013, 4th open Ancenis is 2014,11th open Ancenis is 2016, 10th open Ancenis is 2016, 16thopen Ancenis is 2017, 3rd open Eastbourne 2008 and 1st section19th open Alencon. Tom Richardsonin Lanarkshire federation won the Beattie Trophy for the Best opposite sex Ypres;The Peter Scott memorial trophy for the 1st nominated bird fromYpres; The Robert Telfer & Son Trophy for the young bird average in the Eastsection. The East section combined average winner; Tom also had 5 section E winsin the SNFC with some fantastic results; from Buckingham with 495 members sending4,170 birds he won 4th section E 7th open; 7thsection 17th open; 16th section 42nd open;From the Ypres race he won 3rd section 62nd open from anentry of 2.320 birds sent by 409 members; He also won 6 x 1st prizesin the club and he also won 38 tickets in the first 7 birds in the club (a goodyear well done Tam Joe M). Jackie & Kevin Miller won Lanarkshire federation1st section and the icing on the cake was finishing 9thoverall in the UK Golden Duif awards with average of 14 pigeons over the 5races; (well done lads Joe M). The partnership of Eadie & Kelly in the Lanarkshirefederation won the T Brown memorial trophy for best old bird inland average;they also had 5 section wins which included 2nd, 3rd, 5th,7th, 15th, open and taking the 1st section positions 7times. From the SNFC Buckingham race they won 6th section E 16thopen, 14th section 36th open, 18th section 49thopen from an entry of 4170 birds, From the Bedhampton race with 634 memberssending 6065 birds they won 2nd section 13th open; theyalso had 6 x 1st prizes and won 32 tickets in the first 7 places inthe club. Tony McGinn was another member who had a good season; winning 2ndsection E 25th open from the Falaise SNFC race which turned out tobe a disaster for the 802 birds entered and pools not bring won from 6 of the 7sections entered in the race. WillieSmart won in the Lanarkshire federation the T Robertson Trophy for winner ofthe young bird open race. Cambusnethan & Morningsidefanciersachievements are as follows; Lanarkshire federation 1st section 1stopen J K Gillon, Tam McSorley 1st section; John McDougal 1st & 2ndsection and 1st section open was I Fairley. The evening finished offwith a talk asking the 2 guest questions on their management and strain. A goodnight was had by all and a special thank you to our guests Angus and Davie.

Good SNFC Birds

This week I have found some birds that have wontwice in 2107 in the national; needless to say there will be others but I canonly do so many each week and this week I cover 5 birds, starting with SU15 230blue bar hen raced by W Ayres of Duns. She won 36thsection B 127th open from Buckingham flying a distance of 265 miles.She then went to Bedhampton a distance of 343 miles and won 120thsection B 461st open. Moving now to West Lothian we come to the loftof Hope Brothers and Bryce of Stoneyburn their blue barcock rung SU13W 1245 won 64th section D 536th open fromBedhampton flying 362 miles; he then went to Ypres a distance of 438 miles andhe won 6th section D 54th open. Continuing in a westerlydirection we come to D McCullen of Kilmaurs in Ayrshire whose mealycock SU13A 7612 won from the two inland nationals in 2017 being 13thsection F from Buckingham a distance of 289 miles he then went into theBedhampton race a distance of 362 miles and he won 19th section F587th open. Coming back tothe Kingdom of Fife we go to the loft of J Lumsden ofNewport on Tay his chequer cock SU15F 84 won 50th section C 171st openfrom Bedhampton a distance of 393 miles he then went to Ypres a distance of 454miles and he won 197th open however did not win a section prize asthey were all gone. We now go over theFirth of Forth to the loft of A S Thomson & son ofPort Seton; their blue bar cock SU15P 7784 won 61st section B 137thopen from Littlehampton in 2016 flying a distance of 370 miles. Then in2017 he won 33rd section B 108th open from Bedhampton adistance of 363 miles. Congratulations to all the above birds and their ownersand I wish them well with their birds in 2018.

This Week’sPhotographs

The 2 pigeon pictures from Jim Hannah are of AnnieMac raced by J Hynd & son Ian of Cowdenbeath in Fife; the second bird isBurnside Queen raced by double Gold Cup winner John Duthie of Dundee. The otherpictures are from Andrew Eadie taken at his club presentation except for the‘Loft Visit’ to Tam Richardson.

joepicnoo1.jpg

joepicnoo2.jpg

Davie & Andrew Eadie

joepici.JPG

Jackie & Kevin miller &Dave

joepic2.JPG

Tam Richardson

joepic3.jpg

Tony McGinn & Dave

joepic4.JPG

Wullie Sharp with Dave

joepic5.JPG

Visitors looking for a loft report at Tam Richardson

joepic8.JPG

Cambusnethan &Morningside presentation

presentation.jpg

Joe’s Joke

When I received thisjoke I never stopped laughing hope you ENJOY.

While riding my motorbikeyesterday, I swerved to avoid hitting a deer, lost control and landed in aditch, severely banging my head. Dazed and confused I crawled out of the ditchto the edge of the road when a shiny new convertible pulled up with a verybeautiful woman who asked, "Are you okay?" As I looked up, I noticedshe was wearing a low cut blouse with cleavage to die for...

"I'm okay I think," I replied as I pulled myself up to the sideof the car to get a closer look. She said, “Get in andI’ll take you home so I can clean and bandage that nasty scrape on your head.” "That'snice of you," I answered, "but I don't think my wife will like medoing that!" "Oh, come now, I’m a nurse," she insisted. "Ineed to see if you have any more scrapes and then treat them properly." Well,she was really pretty and very persuasive. Being sort of shaken and weak, Iagreed, but repeated, "I'm sure my wife won't like this." We arrivedat her place which was just few miles away and, after a couple of cold beersand the bandaging, I thanked her and said, "I feel a lot better, but Iknow my wife is going to be really upset so I'd better go now." "Don'tbe silly!" she said with a smile, while unbuttoning her blouse exposingthe most beautiful set of boobs I’ve ever seen. "Stay for a while. Shewon't know anything. By the way, where is she?" "Still in the ditchwith my motorbike, I guess."

Please continue to keep the news flowing;to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY14BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE ANDTHE 1 AFTER MY NAME; OR log ontowww.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk www.pigeon-chat.co.uk and www.Pigeonbasics.com - Pigeon Racing the Basics! Whowish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland

© Compiled by Joe Murphy