The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

I’ve struggled these past 2 weeks trying to keep the column going as I had to go into Princess Margaret’s hospital in Dunfermline to have an operation on my right hand. I have been having problems with ‘trigger finger’ which is a finger that locks and through time releases but can be very painful at times. I’ve previously had injections into my finger to see if this would solve the problem but to no avail. The surgeon made an incision into the palm of my hand then slit the tendon on the finger. To be honest it was over in a jiff but I had to keep the wound dry for a week and keep dressings on it. Margaret was a gem and cleaned out the birds and did the loft chores she even typed up last week’s article for me. No wonder I’ve embraced her for the past 50 years. We had a great time at our anniversary party with all the family and friends there and I would also like to thank all the people who sent cards; emails or phone messages with their good wishing.

Joe

post-849-15096239875162_thumb.jpg

Margaret & Joe Murphy

post-849-15096240610968_thumb.jpg

Bereavement Sale

Received an email from Gavin Ferguson who wrote ‘Hi Joe, I am organising a bereavement sale of birds, baskets etc. for Joe Bowman's wife. As you know Joe passed away during the season and I would be most obliged if you could include notification of the sale in your notes. This will take place in the Hill of Beath Club, Main St Hill of Beath KY4 8DP. It will be held on Sunday 5th November with viewing from 12-30 till 13-30 with the auction starting at 13-30 prompt and No birds will be sold prior to the sale. Included in the sale will be the sire and dam of Joe’s 2012 Fontenay SNRPC national winner. The birds are predominantly Jan Aarden, mostly sourced from House of Aarden. Having been down to see them, and view the pedigrees and paperwork, there are some outstanding distance birds up for sale. All proceeds will be donated to local cancer charities therefore preferred method of payment is cash. For further details interested parties can contact me Gavin Ferguson on mobile 07773363406 many thanks in anticipation yours Gavin’.

Good SNFC Birds

The Scottish national presentation was held last weekend and I have decided to highlight some of the outstanding birds that have now achieved awards in the club starting with Brian Chalmers of Kennoway in Fife with his chequer cock SU 14 F 2781 named ‘Top Cat’ after his late father Tom who was a club mate of mine in Kennoway HS. Brian’s chequer cock won 27th section C 143rd open from Buckingham a distance of 303 miles as a youngster. Then as a yearling he was sent to Billericay a distance of 349 miles and he won 15th section C 64th open that same year he was entered into the Claremont race a distance of 256 miles and won 31st section C 74th open. In 2016 he was raced marked for the national race from Buckingham race and won 9th section C 45th open 18 days later he was entered into the Littlehampton race a distance of 388 miles and won 115th section C but no open position. This year he was entered into the first 2 inland nationals with the first from Buckingham were he won 92nd section C 291st open thus winning him SNFC Meritorious Inland Bronze Award he was then sent to the Bedhampton race winning 15th section C 44th open. Therefore he has won 7 SNFC diplomas in the 3 years he has competed with the national, a very good pigeon. Staying in the Kingdom of Fife Federation boundaries, we come to our 2nd pigeon to win a SNFC Meritorious Inland Bronze Award this dark chequer known as ‘The Dark Cock’ SU14F 2023 is raced by Stuart Donaldson of Blairgowrie. As a yearling he flew exceptionally well winning 2nd section C 24th open from Portsmouth a distance of 408 miles then 13 days later he was entered into the Eastbourne race a distance of 430 miles to his loft and won 5th section C 13th open not bad going to win twice in the top 25 open positions in 2 national races. In 2016 he was entered into Buckingham a distance of 331 miles and won 99th section C 371st open. This year 2017 he was entered into the first 2 inland nationals with the first from Buckingham and once again he was up with the winners to gain 3rd section C 24th open 12 days later he was entered into the Bedhampton race a distance of 408 miles and he won 38th section C 116th open thus winning his Bronze Award. We now come to another exceptional fancier who has won 8 nationals since he moved to Ayton on the Berwickshire coast his name is known throughout the land namely Billy Bilsland. His blue bar hen Welltower Zoe named after Billy’s latest granddaughter and is rung NEHU13BOR 1752. As a yearling she won 13th section B 14th open Maidstone a distance of 339 miles. The following year she won 5th section B 5th open (beaten by 4 loft mates as Billy won the first 6 open positions) from the Bedhampton (Portsmouth) national flying 348 miles. Zoe was then entered into the Eastbourne race (instead of Ypres) and won 5th section B 7th open flying 366 miles. In 2016 she was entered into the 2 inland nationals and won 73rd section B 215th open Buckingham a distance of 270 miles. 12 days later she was entered into the Littlehampton race a distance of 354 miles and she won 11th section B 28th open to win her SNFC Meritorious Inland Bronze Award As you will see she has been 4 times in the top 28 open positions in the national showing the quality of pigeon she is. Well done to the above 3 pigeons and their owners they must all be proud of their birds performances.

Joe’s Joke

One day in the future, Donald Trump has a heart-attack and dies. He immediately goes to Hell, where the devil is waiting for him. "I don't know what to do here," says the devil. "You are on my list, but I have no room for you. You definitely have to stay here, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I've got three folks here who weren't quite as bad as you. I'll let one of them go, but you have to take their place. I'll even let YOU decide who leaves." Donald thought that sounded pretty good, so the devil opened the door to the first room. In it was Richard Nixon and a large pool of water. Nixon kept diving in, and surfacing, empty handed. Over, and over, and over he dived in and surfaced with nothing. Such was his fate in hell. "No," Donald said. "I don't think so. I'm not a good swimmer and it would ruin my hair. I don't think I could do that all day long." The devil led him to the door of the next room. In it was Ronald Reagan with a sledge-hammer and a room full of rocks. All he did was swing that hammer, time after time after time. "No, this is no good; I've got his problem with my shoulder. I would be in constant agony if all I could do was break rocks all day," commented Donald. The devil opened a third door. Through it, Donald saw Bill Clinton, lying on the bed, his arms tied over his head, and his legs restrained in a spread-eagle pose. Bent over him was Monica Lewinsky, doing what she does best. Donald looked at this in shocked disbelief, and finally said, "Yeah man, I can handle this." The devil smiled and said...........

"OK, Monica, you're free to go."

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy