The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

Received an email from Trevor Jenkin with the following ‘Dear Joe, On behalf of Harvey, his Mum & Dad and the Members of The Penzance Premier Racing Pigeon Club , we would all like to thank you so much for donating young birds to enable us to raise funds towards Harvey's much needed life changing operation. Harvey's Mum & Dad have been overwhelmed by the kindness and compassion shown to their son by Pigeon Fanciers and wish to thank them all from the bottom of their hearts, yours in sport Trevor Jenkin Vice Chairman, Penzance Premier Racing Pigeon Club. I also received an email from Elimar telling me my youngsters were purchased by a fancier in Oxford and I wish them well with these F & J Vandenheede birds.

Bo’ness Breeder Buyer Sale

Received an email from Martyn Brown with some details of the above sale which will take place in Bo'ness homing society club house the post code is EH51 0JU. This will take place on Sunday 16th April (Easter Sunday) with viewing at 12 noon and the sale starting at 1pm. The sale is open to any fancier anywhere if they wish to participate and everyone entering MUST send in all the performances of the young birds which will be judged by independent panel. Prize money is £500 for breeder and £500 for buyer with all opening bids £25. There are 40 young birds promised for the sale from top names like; John McNeill, Angus Orr & sons, Peter Keogh, Hugh Gormley, Cowan & Berry, R McGill and sons, John Bosworth, Sinclair Thomson & son, Hamish Ferguson, Tom McLeod and George Hunter & son to name but a few. Many thanks’ for all your help Joe yours Martyn’

Thornton Liberation Site

Would ALL club officials who intend to use Thornton Recreation Park as a race point in 2017, please contact me as soon as possible. Fife Council requires the following information. Race dates; Organisations; Federation officials name/ address and insurance details. These items MUST be provided by Easter Sunday as I have to put the relevant information in writing to the council. If you do not adhere to the above you will not be allowed onto Fife Council Property. You will get my details at the end of the column Joe Murphy.

Good SNFC Birds

This week I highlight 2 pigeons from the loft of David Jamieson of East Calder with the first a chequer hen SU13CA 3436 this hen won 4th section 74th open from an entry of 3395 birds at Billericay in 2015 flying 337 miles that same season she won 16th section D 246th open from Eastbourne flying 388 miles (this was the comeback race instead of Ypres) and competed 2494 birds. Then in 2016 she was sent to Buckingham a distance of 287 miles and she won 12th section D 296th open. David’s second pigeon is a chequer cock SU13CA 3457 this cock has won 4 section prizes so far. He won 24th section D 277th open from Billericay in 2015 that same year he was entered into the Eastbourne race winning 13th section D 209th open and this same year he went to his 3rd national race of the season to Clermont a distance of 514 miles and he won 1st section D 30th open against an entry of 1547 birds. In 2016 he was sent to the Buckingham race and won 33rd section D so has proven that he is a very consistent pigeon. Our next pigeon is flown by Davie Clark of Methil and is a chequer hen SU14F 3613. In 2015 she was entered into the Billericay race a distance of 347 miles and she won 75th section C 232nd open against 3395 birds then in 2016 she scored twice in the national with the first bring from Buckingham a distance of 301 miles to win 17th section C 99th open from an entry of 2084 birds. The 2 weeks later she won 3rd section C 6th open from Littlehampton a distance of 386 miles flying against an entry of 4482 birds.

This week’s Pictures

This week’s photographs are of the following the blue hen is Nell’s Girl raced by Turpie & McCord of Pitlessie in Fife she won 22nd section C 90th open SNFC Clermont in 2014. Then in 2016 she won 22nd section C 58th open from SNFC Ypres and in the same season she won 4th section C 16th open SNFC Roye. Our next 3 pictures were all taken at the SHU Show with the 3 fanciers being Ian Gilmour of Leven; Brian Kinnear of Pitlessie and Jocky Scott of Kennoway who won 1st SNFC Roye in 2016. The next picture is of another Fifer in Eric Reed of Dunfermline who was helping out at the show with the last but not least a photograph of Eddie McGhee presenting John Hodgson of Annan with his trophy.

post-849-14914924929436_thumb.jpg

Eddie McGhee with John Hodgson

post-849-14914925762815_thumb.jpg

Eric Reed of Dunfermline

post-849-14914926398295_thumb.jpg

Ian Gilmour Brian Kinnear & Jock Scott

post-849-14914927157722_thumb.jpg

Joe’s Joke

Creation; A man said to his wife one day, 'I don't know how you can be so stupid and so beautiful all at the same time. 'The wife responded, 'Allow me to explain.

God made me beautiful so you would be attracted to me; God made me stupid so I would be attracted to you!

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com Pigeon Racing the Basics who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy