The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

Continuing with my highlighting this year’s SNFC winners we come to the longest race in the race programme the Ancenis race with 100 members sending 296 birds. The convoy were liberated with the Midland National FC at 06-30am into a west to south west wind along with the 4000 MNFC birds. Winning 1st 2nd & 7th open SNFC is Craig Halbert of Eastriggs who is creating history within the national as he won 1st open in this same race in 2014 and was 3rd & 8th open from Ancenis in 2015. The 2016 national winner is a 2 year old blue hen named ‘Solway View Queen’ who recorded a velocity of 1198 for the 533 miles home. She is bred down from ‘Morning Joy’ who competed in my Sporting Challenge as she won 1st section A 13th open from the Alencon Gold Cup race. Craig wins the Challenge Gold Globe, The Gleniffer Challenge Trophy, and the 1st section A Trophy. He also wins The Vaux Tankard for winning 2nd open well done Craig.

The E R Williamson Trophy for the fancier with the best combined average with 2 nominated pigeons was won by Dennis Anderson of Annan. Dennis won 14th 28th & 47th open with 3 of his entries well done Dennis.

We now come to the trophy that Margaret & I presented to the national for the best velocity pigeon in section C & G (North of the Firth of Forth) the winner is Frank Mitchell of Comrie in West Fife who timed in his 5 year old blue bar hen flying 612 miles to win 39th open and secure The Mr & Mrs J Murphy Trophy, 1st section C trophy. Only 2 other fanciers from section C made the open result these being Willie Donachie of Dundee who had the furthest flying bird in the race flying 635 miles to win 2nd section C 42nd open. Jim Doig of Cardenden is 3rd section C 44th open flying 614 miles. Congratulations to these 3 fanciers on their achievements.

Moving to the west of Scotland now we come to the trophy in memory of my late dear friend: The George Rankin Memorial Trophy for 1st bird into the West Section who obviously wins 1st Section E Trophy and this was Davie Allison from Hamilton. He timed in his 3 year old blue bar cock to win 24th open flying 594 miles. At this point I would just like to highlight the only other West section pigeon a (4 year old blue bar hen)to win a prize being 2nd section E 46th open flying 598 miles to the loft of Billy Graham of Uddingston congratulations to both these fanciers.

1st section B winners are a household name in the pigeon sport in Scotland the father and son partnership of Richard & Jamie Combe of Elphinstone who won 15th open with their 3 year old chequer hen.

A man making a name for himself as a good 600 mile fancier is David Jamieson of East Calder who wins 1st & 3rd section D 10th & 21st open with his winner of the section a 3 year old chequer white flight hen that won 3rd section D 20th open last year from Ancenis flying 598 miles. Once again congratulations to all the fanciers who make the open result. Unfortunately section F (extreme west of Scotland) and section G (the North of Scotland) were Not Won.

Craig Halbert 1 & 2 national Ancenis

post-849-14787747227718_thumb.jpg

Richard and Jamie Combe of Elphinstone

post-849-1478774840397_thumb.jpg

Good SNFC Birds

Before I go on about this week’s excellent birds I received a phone call from Colin Bain of Ratho who won a SNFC Silver Award at this year’s national presentation with his good hen ‘Miss Abigail’. I stated that Colin bred this wonderful hen however this was not totally correct as Colin and his good friend Chris McCann of Currie had joined forces to have a small stock loft with both their best pigeons housed in it. Chris kept these at his home and once the youngsters were weened they were split between Colin & Chris racing lofts. So in actual fact ‘Miss Abigail’ was bred by Chris in this small stock loft at Currie. Colin also informs me that Chris has moved house and is now residing in the south side of the Scottish capital. I’m sorry for my mistake in saying that Colin bred the hen and wish Chris all the best with the birds at his new address.

This week’s top birds

I concentrate on the last 3 fanciers to win a SNFC Silver Award with 2 from section D and the other from section B in the Scottish national club. The first is to A Watson of Lauriston near Falkirk with his dark chequer white flight hen SU12NW 1519 named ‘Gert’ after his mother Gertrude. This hen won 11th section D 176th open Ypres a distance of 449 miles in 2014 the following year she was sent to the Gold Cup race and won 5th section D 52nd open flying 547 miles then this year she was again entered for the Gold Cup this time from Reims and she won 8th section D 106th open flying a distance of 570 miles to win her SNFC Silver Award winner

We now come to J Hadfield of Blackburn in West Lothian with his blue chequer cock SU12W 1173 named ‘Whitehill Prince’ in 2013 he was sent to Ypres a distance of 440 miles and won 20th section D 232nd open the following year he was sent to the Gold Cup race from Alencon and won 7th section D (no open position) flying 537 miles then in 2015 he scored from the inland national race from Eastbourne a distance of 389 miles (this cancellation was due to the national not being able to race from Ypres) then in 2016 he was again set up for Ypres and won 13th section D 112th open to win his coveted SNFC Silver Award in 2016.

We come to section B fancier John F Bosworth of Elphinstone of East Lothian with blue cock SU12P 6852 named ‘Blue Smoke’ who wins a SNFC Silver Award for 3 times a winner from over the English Channel: As a yearling the blue cock won 9th section B 18th open flying 426 miles. The following year he won 14th section B 62nd open from Clermont a distance of 506 miles. This year 2016 he won 3 times in the SNFC being 63rd section B 189th open from Buckingham a distance of 283 miles, he then went to Ypres flying 426 miles and won 152nd open (no section prize) he was then entered into the last old bird race of the year and won 22nd section B (to win his Silver Award) 59th open flying 491 miles. John also has a blue hen SU10P 3800 who has won 6 times in the national and has already won a Silver Award in 2015 and added to her achievements by winning a prize from Reims in 2016. As a yearling she won 378th open from Eastbourne flying 382 miles (no section prize) she then went to Clermont a distance of 506 miles and won 9th section B 21st open. Then in 2013 she won 22nd section B 199th open from Newbury a distance of 321 miles she was then sent to the Gold Cup race from Alencon and won 1st section B 2nd open flying 533 miles. She then went back to the Gold Cup the following year and won 2nd section B 4th open to win her SNFC Silver Award and this year she won 22nd section B 73rd open from Reims Gold Cup flying a distance of 548 miles.

Our congratulations go to the above fanciers on winning their national Silver Awards.

Joe’s Joke

Subject: Florida woman stops alligator with a 25 calibrated Beretta pistol

This is a story of self-control and marksmanship by a brave, cool-headed woman with a small pistol against a fierce predator. What is the smallest calibre that you would trust to protect yourself? A Beretta Jetfire testimonial....

Here is her story in her own words:

"While out walking along the edge of a pond just outside my house in ‘The Villages’ with my soon to be ex-husband discussing property settlement and other divorce issues. We were surprised by a huge 12 foot alligator which suddenly emerged from the murky water and began charging us with its large jaws wide open. She must have been protecting her nest because she was extremely aggressive. If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire .25 calibre pistol with me, I would not be here today! Just one shot to my estranged husband’s knee cap was all it took.... The alligator got him easily and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace. It's one of the best pistols in my collection!

Plus the amount I saved in lawyer's fees was really incredible and his insurance was the big bonus. I’m more comfortable now’.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy