The Joe Murphy Column

Ian McKay

The Joe Murphy Column

What a time of it we have had with the weather lately with gales and rain, everything is so wet and damp and to be honest you don’t want to venture outside in this weather. I have managed to clean out my next boxes and have introduced the pairs together for an hour or so. I intend to do this a couple of times prior to pairing up on the 11th February so far everything has been going well. I have been letting them out of the next boxes for a short time and then when the cock goes back into the box the hen follows so these are locked up and a new pair released. I have 2 sections so let a pair out in each end however it is very time consuming but hopefully will be well worth it when it comes to pairing up.

Big Thank You

I received a phone call from Ian French to inform me that he was inundated with calls regarding his decision to give his birds away for the price of the carriage. Ian wishes everyone who obtained the birds all the very best for the 2016 season and hopes his birds breed some winners. As I said in my first report Ian is now going to be involved in the Midland National One Loft race and he tells me that the spaces are filling up very quickly so if you are interested in joining then don’t dwell too long. It is hoped to have LIVE on line coverage of each race on the club’s website and also coverage from the liberation point prior to each race. They are hoping to have advance liberation news given in plenty of time so that fanciers can arrive at the loft prior to the birds coming home. I have preached this for the past few years we now have the technology within our fingertips and it is time our sport became more up to date with the present climate.

National Racing into Scotland

I noticed in last week’s pigeon paper that the SNRPC showed their proposed French race programme for 2016 from Arras, Reims and Troyes they state they have had successful racing from these points the past 10 years. They also highlight that their pigeons are basketed for these race points a day later (than the Scottish National) so therefore their birds are at home an extra day and they use Geraldy pigeon transportation. On the above points I have to give them credit as Arras and Reims favour the short channel crossing which has benefited their birds over this period. I’m not as sure about their longest race from Troyes as the returns are not so good with many pigeons failing to make it home. Now everyone knows that I’m as Scottish National Flying Club man and have been so all my life but I feel that the SNFC officials need to take a leaf out of the SNRPC book and make changes for the benefit of the birds and members. The most important item in our sport is that the pigeons must come FIRST and a day less in the transporter is a great advantage to the BIRDS. We did this at the young bird national in 2015 when the forecast for the Saturday was to be dreadful and we had a race on the Friday and the winner was timed just after 4 hours and the ALL the open positions were won within 2 hours and even the north of Scotland fanciers had won all their prizes on the day of the race. Then we come to the transportation of the birds and the SNFC is using older transporters with plastic drinkers put onto the baskets. Surely in this day and age we can afford to hire a Geraldy transporter for the channel races as we are not sending 7000 pigeons nowadays. From the Gold Cup race from Alencon we had 1416 birds, Clermont 1547 bird and from Ancenis we go with the Midland National and had 275 birds. I know there has been a conflict of attitudes hence the reason why we now have 2 nationals but the time is coming when fanciers are going to have to eat humble pie and go together to these races from France. Surely in with the drop in membership from our sport the time has come when we can transport both SNFC and SNRPC convoys to Reims. But we all know the reason why it will not happen - is because whoever wins the race will rub the other organisations nose in it by saying they won against both clubs and the total birdage. This is nothing more than trying to sell pigeons which have nothing to do with the reasons I’m putting this case to you. I think the time has come to put the differences aside and put the birds (and the Fanciers) first. This isn’t about the 2 organisations coming together as ONE National, it is about both organisations coming together to transport the birds to the race point and doing so in a civilised manner. Let us put the differences aside and agree that the best way forward is to share transportation for these channel races. Many people will not be happy with the above but at least I can see the wood from the trees. Our sport is coming to a crucial stage in everyone’s life and if we do not change then our sport is going to die. You just have to look at the decrease in membership within clubs and federations and see how many of organisations are now having joint convoying to weekly race points. To have 2 transporters, conveyors/drivers from Scotland at the SAME race point and all the birds going the same way home, is utter MADNESS

Good SNFC Birds

Before I go on about these pigeons I must apologise to Davie Allison who forwarded his 2 birds pictures and information on the birds a few weeks ago. I called him ‘Billy’ Allison after the man who was in my sporting challenge a few years ago and I’m so sorry Davie. Billy phoned me up and said ‘I wish I had 2 pigeons of this quality so that you could write about me’, then he highlighted my mistake, but by that time my article was away for the next week.

This week I highlight 3 lofts from the west section of the national with the first Jock & Isabel Alston of Ravenstruther with their blue bar cock SU10 6368 named ‘Renstrie Reward’. This wonderful cock won the SHU DEWAR TROPHY in 2013 for Scotland Bird of the Year he is also a SNFC SILVER AWARD WINNER. His performances are as follows; in 2013 he won 81st section E from Newbury flying 313 miles. He was then entered into the Gold Cup race from Alencon a distance of 526 miles and won 4th section E 26th open he was then entered into the Clermont race and won 1st section E 2nd open flying 508 miles. In 2014 he was again set up for the Gold Cup race from Alencon and won 7th section E 37th open and won his Silver Award for 3 section prizes from France. Then in 2015 he again competed from Alencon and won 30th section E so requires ONE more section prize to achieve the coveted Gold Award and we wish Jock and Isabel all the best in 2016.

We now come to another top fancier and bird Dave Donaldson of Glassford with his blue bar hen SU09L 10143 SNFC SILVER AWARD WINNER In 2012 she won 31st section E from Maidstone a distance of 364 miles, she was then entered into the last old bird race from Clermont and she won 17th section E. In 2013 she competed from the Gold Cup race from Alencon a distance of 531 miles and she won 1st section E 6th open. The following year she won 24th section E 103rd open Alencon and achieved her Silver Award with the SNFC for 3 section prizes from France. Last year she again scored from Alencon being 22nd section E 139th open and now needs ONE more section prize to achieve the coveted Gold Award and we wish Dave all the best in 2016.

Our third west section loft highlighted is the Mr & Mrs Elliot of Newbigging with their mealy cock SU13L 7293 his performances are as follows; in 2014 he won 11th section E from Maidstone flying 354 miles, then last year he won 29th section E from the Gold Cup race point of Alencon flying 525 miles, he was then sent to Clermont and won 16th section E flying 505 miles. He now requires ONE more section prize to achieve his Silver Award and we which Mr & Mrs Elliot all the best in 2016.

This week’s Photographs

The first is of Kevin Godfrey and Roger Lowe checking out the Daniel Aerens birds in Sheldon Leonard’s single breeding pens. Next we have the Wallace and Ferguson families enjoying a celebration meal after their success at Blackpool show. The partnership won a 1st prize at the show which is a great achievement well done. I have also attached Struan’s mealy hen who has won 8 cards this year, and his wife’s Audrey’s dark chequer hen who won a card at Blackpool with 103 birds in the class.

post-849-14552761389782_thumb.jpg

post-849-14552762762442_thumb.jpg

post-849-14552764451171_thumb.jpg

post-849-14552765776264_thumb.jpg

post-849-14552766362219_thumb.jpg

Joe’s Joke

Before I go on with this week’s joke I must thank Jim Williams from Grove Park London for his letter and jokes, I’m sorry that I cannot put them in the paper but we had a good laugh. Jim also informs me in his letter that in one of my articles I mentioned Tommy Firmicer and his daughters from Bromley in Kent. Jim started Tommy with pigeons 65 years ago. Unfortunately he has not kept pigeons these last 2 years and he misses them very much. He is now 78 years old and can barely walk but he says ‘They cannot stop us from laughing’ Joe keep up the good work and enjoy the ‘Jokes’. My thanks to Jim and I wish him all the best hope he enjoys this week’s joke.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A motorcycle police officer stops a driver for shooting through a red light. The driver is a real jerk, steps out of his car and comes striding toward the officer, demanding to know why he is being harassed by the Gestapo! So the officer calmly tells him of the red light violation. The motorist instantly goes on a tirade, questioning the officer's ancestry, sexual orientation, etc., in rather explicit offensive terms. The tirade goes on without the officer saying anything.

When the officer finishes writing the ticket, he puts an "AH" in the lower right corner of the narrative portion of the ticket; he then hands it to the 'violator' for his signature. The guy signs the ticket angrily, and when presented with his copy points to the "AH" and demands to know what it stands for. The officer says, "That's so when we go to court, I'll remember that you're an *expletive removed*!"

Two months later they're in court. The 'violator' has a bad driving record with a high number of points and is in danger of losing his license, so he hired a lawyer to represent him. On the stand the officer testifies to seeing the man run through the red light. Under cross examination the defence attorney asks; "Officer is this reasonable facsimile of the ticket that you issued to my client?"

Officer responds, "Yes, sir, that is the defendant's copy, his signature and mine, same number at the top." Lawyer: "Officer is there any particular marking or notation on this ticket you don't normally make?" "Yes, sir, in the lower right corner of the narrative there is an "AH," underlined." "What does the "AH" stand for, officer?" "Aggressive and hostile Sir"; what do you mean "Aggressive and hostile?" "Officer, are you sure it doesn't stand for *expletive removed*?" Well, sir, you know your client better than I do.

Please continue to keep the news flowing; to Joe Murphy Mystical Rose Cottage 2 Flutorum Avenue Thornton by Kirkcaldy KY1 4BD or phone 01592 770331 or Email to joejmurphy1@gmail.com REMEMBER THE J IN THE MIDDLE or log onto www.elimarpigeons.com www.fancierchat.co.uk and www.pigeon-chat.co.uk also www.pigeonbasics.com who wish my weekly contribution portfolio on pigeon topics from Scotland.

© Compiled by Joe Murphy