Training Do You Go Line Of Flight Or Not

Guest bakes

Same here, have done it for years from groups of 6 down to single ups, doesn't seem to matter if you give them 5 mins never mind 1, they still find one another en route and come back together. I'm not suggesting it isn't possible, just i've not found any methods yet that would make them come in 1's when they are released only 1 or 2 mins apart.

the only good way to do it is to let them go 1 at a time every mile starting at 20miles then do the same on way back up , only works for about 20 birds though , but works well . if you keep the basket in car next to you you just stop and let the go one at a time without getting out the car . very seldon do any come together

Bakes, I agree with others' comments: we all make mistakes and learn from them, so don't beat yourself up over it.

I keep a fairly small team, my basket holds only 14 birds, so used to training in small groups, usually 8/9 pigeons. I don't single-up my youngsters as I think mine need experience flying as part of a bigger group, and breaking from it for home, without overflying home with the group - that's what I concentrate on. I also train in the main about 7pm. Late lib seems to help focus their minds on getting home, maybe because sun is starting to get low? and few problems so fewer BoPs about?

When I do single-up, its yearlings & older, and intervals are 10/15 minutes apart. I time departures and my ets system times arrivals, and honestly sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort as departures 1,2,3 etc rarely arrive back in that order, sometimes last away is first home etc. ;)

• 6 months later...