AMTRAK

Darnaway

A tale of woe at this festive time regarding Amtrak.

My name is Andy Graham and i fly in the Glasgow FED.

I Managed to purchase a pigeon from a Fancier in Doncaster and he duly sent the bird via Amtrak on Tuesday 12th December 2006 with the view that it would arrive in Glasgow sometime during Wednesday 13th December 2006.

At 1700hrs on the Wednesday i contacted the Glasgow depot onlt to be told that it would not be delivered as they thought it was still at the Hub (in Warrington).

I was assured that although they were not sure of its location they would Water and Feed it.

Wednesday morning i contacted there Hq and left a message with their Customer Care answering machine.

I Received a reply from their Pigeon Helpline to advise me that they were trying to locate the bird.

Thursday 15th December 2006 Pigeon still missing(so much for the care of livestock)

I  am in the process of trying to get the Daily Record to do an article on this.

My Message to Amtrak is" Ba Humbug" as they remind me of old Ebenezer Scrouge who takes your money but doesn,t give you much back in return.

Andy

i know some people have had problems with amtrak,but how many times have they delievered pigeons to people without any! Personnaly i think if the 'the Daily Record' or any form of newspaper was to get there hands on  this sort of thing and publish it amtrak would tell us where to go!

i know some people have had problems with amtrak,but how many times have they delievered pigeons to people without any! Personnaly i think if the 'the Daily Record' or any form of newspaper was to get there hands on  this sort of thing and publish it amtrak would tell us where to go!

Dear All,

My Intention of posting my note on Amtrak was not to upset fellow Fanciers but merely to highlight a Company the charges us Premium Dollar for a Service which obviously does not always meet acceptable standards.

In my opinion there is a perception that the birds are no more than little brown parcels and may I say that even despite @ least 5 phone calls to their Customer care Team!!!!! They still have not had the decency to even give me a call to let me know of any progress or the lack of it.

I have contacted a Newspaper and an article will be published on Saturday.

The aim of this is to demonstrate  that Pigeon Fanciers do care about the well being of our birds and to give Amtrak a wake up call.

Nb The Bird that is posted missing could fetch anywhere in the Region of £500 to £1300 as was the case at a recent clearance sale where birds of the same strain & quality were purchased.

I appreciate Amtrak currently have the Monopoly of transporting our birds but does that mean that we dare not complain if things go wrong.

Andy

Darnaway no way was your post upsetting anyone as far as i can see it!'In my opinion there is a perception that the birds are no more than little brown parcels and may I say that even despite @ least 5 phone calls to their Customer care Team!!!!! They still have not had the decency to even give me a call to let me know of any progress or the lack of it.' is a very true point and i also agree to the point that if the service isnt correct you should complain it is your right to! When the article is published it may give Amtrak a wake up call, or they might just tell us were to go and that will put us all in a perdicament as couriers like the phantom flyer do not courier pigeons to certain thats all i was stating mate! I hope you get your bird/birds back soon mate!

Darnaway no way was your post upsetting anyone as far as i can see it!'In my opinion there is a perception that the birds are no more than little brown parcels and may I say that even despite @ least 5 phone calls to their Customer care Team!!!!! They still have not had the decency to even give me a call to let me know of any progress or the lack of it.' is a very true point and i also agree to the point that if the service isnt correct you should complain it is your right to! When the article is published it may give Amtrak a wake up call, or they might just tell us were to go and that will put us all in a perdicament as couriers like the phantom flyer do not courier pigeons to certain thats all i was stating mate! I hope you get your bird/birds back soon mate!

Thanks for your comments Wiley.

The Doncaster Fancier who sold me the bird has made several calls to his local depot and each time if he is lucky enough to get through they ask for all the details and advise him that they will call him back, just as well he is not holding his breath as he would be dead and buried by now.

I even took the liberty of sending a complaint via their web site Guess what ?

Yes you,re got it no reply despite the E.mail being sent at 1000hrs today.

Its a pity that we could not set up something between ourselves or even encourage other couriers to get involved with transporting our birds.

You know the old saying  people don,t try when there is no competition

They will not carry livestock that is why interlink packed up it is not viable with the amount of insurance they have to pay. There was a rumour going round that amtrak are considering going the same way, they have stopped transporting parrots etc only doing pigeons for now. :(

They will not carry livestock that is why interlink packed up it is not viable with the amount of insurance they have to pay. There was a rumour going round that amtrak are considering going the same way, they have stopped transporting parrots etc only doing pigeons for now. :(

Does anyone know how people who keep other types of birds( canaries/budgies etc) manage to get them transported.

Mmmmm I think i might have to go into the local bookstore to see if they have a magazine called Fur & Feather.

If i find a way can I claim copyright with a donation going to the web page?

Andy

As I have posted before Amtrak is the company name but all the drivers are self employed on franchise that is where all the mistakes are made :)

I,m not sticking up for amtrak at all here but the self employed drivers yes,because

they are only doing or going where they are sent by amtrak,it,s in the depot,s where the problem stem,s from not from the guy,s on the vans.

I,m not sticking up for amtrak at all here but the self employed drivers yes,because

they are only doing or going where they are sent by amtrak,it,s in the depot,s where the problem stem,s from not from the guy,s on the vans.

Pigeonman,

I think you can guess by the amount of postings by myself that i am very disgruntled at Amtrak.

My anger is directed at the company due to the fact that the company has lost my bird and they think by issuing an alert to all depot,s that absolves them from their responsibility.

In a nut shell on the delivery date I was given an assurance that the bird would turn up the next day, for the next 2 days the Receptionists for the want of a better word stated I should just make a claim for the bird.

" Didn,t take them long to lose intrest over an alleged PRIORITY search"

I appreciate that you are defending the Drivers who i,m sure do a good job but they are working under the Auspices of the Company Logo

Regards

Darnaway

DARNAWAY,You have every right to be disgruntled if it had of been my bird the air would of been purple not blue,as you say they just dont seem to care when something goes wrong even when it is a living thing,what i was merely saying was that the drivers get told where to go etc so you cant really put any blame on them,99.99% of the time it is the idiots in the depot,s who we speak with that get everything wrong.

Does anyone know how people who keep other types of birds( canaries/budgies etc) manage to get them transported.

Mmmmm I think i might have to go into the local bookstore to see if they have a magazine called Fur & Feather.

If i find a way can I claim copyright with a donation going to the web page?

Andy

the firms that advertize in the cage bird mags are couriors and quote £40-50 per parcel :)

wish hed do my area i phoned up when hoping to get a couple birds from darran mcfadden it was sounding promising on the phone untill his wife asked what part of london i was from then i got turned down. LoL o well one of them things shame though as i hear he does a brillant service

surely we must be able to do something amongst ourselves?? with say a representitive in each area, covering a certain radius, would work out a bit cheaper i think, but the main point is we know the birds will be well cared for, surely someone with more brains than me could help me with some ideas?? i would gladly cover this area and go within a 40 miles radius,a nd im sure we could get some one in each area of the country if we tried :-/ just an idea, but its whatt most of us would be happy with, and i agree its only a matter of time before amtrack say no more thanks!! ;) i know 1  0r 2 reliable trustworthy people round here that would do it also, for a fee of course, but if your getting a slightly cheaper reliable service then. i know it would be difficult to sort out, but i will leave you all with that thought to rack you brains,

have a good weekend

• 2 months later...

2 years ago i had to get a young en back from wigan....and pay amtrak  when it arrived....at 5.00pm on a wed night....bang bang bang on door ....before i got door open driver drove off...on the floor was a amtrak box..coverd in brown tape.....inside was my young en ..flat as a board and hard as a rock...driver didnt wait for money.........phoned amtrak they gave me £50.........comp

• 3 weeks later...