Mud On Feet

UConnTom

mud on there feet from a training toss that wasnt to far, dnt like the sound of that to be honest, means they have been down. Could be due to the heat, but they should have homed and then got a drink. How long was they in the lorry before hand?

I think you can take it for granted that the birds are not drinking before they leave the training basket. That's the reason they have mud on their feet, they are dehydrating and going down for a drink.

I would suggest basket training your birds. i.e feed and water them in the baskets for a couple of days. Just so they all get to know where the water can be found. You should make a note of these latecomers Tom and perhaps train them separate if possible. Just to get them back up to speed so to speak. The thing is, if they have done it once they will do it again. Might be hard to change them, but worth a try.

watch if u give them garlic close to basketing, garlic makes u dry, also birds wont drink early morning, unless its after a feed, a bird will drink if its thirsty, i remember been told once that if birds get a good drink before basketing, when water is put before them before lib, ie early morning, they are not ready for a drink, so may have to go down, but if a bird does not have a drink before basketing, it will need one early morning and go for one before lib,

I think you need to be careful advising folk to take a drinker away for 4 hours. Tom's in the US and its a good deal hotter and drier over there than here. Even here it can get quite hot and the last thing you want in heat is no access to water.

y b,s especialy deheydrate a  lot quicker than ob, ,i remember , to my disadvantage many years ago ,i trained a few members birds in a transit van ,mine were basketed first,, by the time i got round the fanciers to pick up their birds , blether, tea etc, it was allmost 6 hours b4 i arrived at the tossing point , the last birds basketed done this toss in an hour ,about 50 miles,on a warm day , mine and the others basketed earlier had a bad toss and returned with mud on their feet,,,lesson learnt,,, allways have drinkers on the baskets,and allways have them well basket trained to drink ,,,,,once bitten twice shy :)

I, and probably,  along with many others have won races with "muddy rubbers" and feet.

Obviously, the birds have been  subjected to  bottom layers at  the ,liberation site

and hit the muddy ground before gaining height.

I, and probably,  along with many others have won races with "muddy rubbers" and feet.

Obviously, the birds have been  subjected to  bottom layers at  the ,liberation site

and hit the muddy ground before gaining height.

need to put some wee booties on them so as not to hurt themselves eh vic ;D ;D

If you are suggesting that bottom row birds are hitting the ground, then there is something sadly wrong with their release. Modern day Geraldy transporters release from the bottom row up to prevent this happening, and even our own transporter which is a manual release, is timed this way too.

If you are suggesting that bottom row birds are hitting the ground, then there is something sadly wrong with their release. Modern day Geraldy transporters release from the bottom row up to prevent this happening, and even our own transporter which is a manual release, is timed this way too.

Might be sad but there is not a shadow of a doubt that some birds in the bottom are "forced" down to the ground.One visit to a liberation site would prove it to anyone!