Loft reports

Guest Pigeon_Man87

who is interested doing a loft reports please pm me, then i will give you the questions and photos if possible... for this forum,,, cheers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as we know craig has a dissability ,being deaf and having arthritic probs [a s] i think this would be a great thing for him to do ,also good for the forum members ,

trouble is , all the good ones are shy ;D ;D ;D,, but im sure hell  get this moving and hope we get some forum members loft reports :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Rab (WINGS 04)  from Scotland

How do you got involved in the sport a brief history about themselves

FIRST THERE ARE 3 IN OUR PARTNERSHIP MYSELF MY DA AND MY BROTHER I MOVED FROM A FLAT TO MY NEW HOUSE AND ONE OF MY NEIGHBOURS HAS PIGEONS I WATCHED HIS FOR A YEAR THEN GOT A LOFT AND SOME BIRDS (THE NEIGHBOUR DOES NOT TALK TO ME ANY MORE )

What origins of stock/bloodlines do you keep?

I GOT BIRDS FROM IRELAND  R WILLIAMSON FROM A  FRIEND AND GOT THEM AT SALES IF I LIKE THEM

When do you pair up?

14 FEBRUARY

What products and feed you use?

ONLY ONE BELGASOL

What methods do you used to fly old birds should include feed and watering system?

W/HOOD FEED SUPER STAR AND GERRY PLUS FOR THE OLD BIRDS THE YOUNG BIRDS ARE ON BEANS AND MAPELS TILL 4 WEEK BEFORE THE FIRST RACES THEN V/L YOUNG BIRD MIX NO MAIZE AND GERRY+

What motivation techniques do you use?

JUST SHOW THE HENS ON BASKET NIGHT YOUNG BIRDS RACE TO THE PERCH

There health programmes, When and How often do you treat?

CANKER ONES A YEAR AND INJECT FOR PMV

If you were to introduce new blood into the loft how would you go about it?

IF I LIKE THEM I WILL SEE IF I CAN BUY SOME YOUNG BIRDS NOT INTO NAMES OR BREEDS

Who would you go to to get the new blood?

MOSTLY  SALES .

How did you do performances over the last 2,3yr period?

I DID OK

What is your size of loft and size of team?

ONE IS 32FT X10FT AND 2 16 FT X 6 FT

12. What is your dream to come true in the future?

GOOD QUESTION JUST TO BE FLYING IN A CLUB OR STILL TO BE RACING MY BIRDS

Which club are u flying in?

I AM THE ONLY ONE LEFT IN HOLYTOWN AS MOST HAVE LEFT OR STARTED THERE ON CLUB AND WILL NOT LET ME IN

-------

Anthony from Malta

how do you got involved in the sport a brief history about themselves

I always remember me playing with pigeons,when I was young it was a very cheap way to keep children at home.At the age of 14 years old I went to work and started to biuld my own loft it was 6ft x 6 ft on the roof.My father never wanted me to have pigeons,but since I was helping in the support of the family with half of my income,he gave me permission to have the loft.My first bird was a mealy hen and she was the first pigeon that made the distance from Sicily  for me.She was my treasure.At the age of 22 I got married and I went on a contract to Saudi Arabia to work thier and guees what yes I took some pigeons with me,I believe that I was the first to keep racing pigeons in that part of the country.Back in Malta after 4 years I restarted again but not for long,the reason was that my son was born and my wife was expecting another baby.It took me another 10 years to start again,my brother was keeping pigeons as well,and we kept swaping,we originated a dark cheqs family which did very good work for us.My brother gave up after some time and I did the same due to house moving.Now my son wanted to keep pigeons so after being out of the sport for some years,we started again,went to buy some of my old family back to start with.In the mean time in Malta changes where taking place due to join the EU and I was one of the first to be out of work so i ended up with a lot of time.My son left to Australia for good after being a partner for 8 years .He was a good help but here I am again alone with my pigeons which I love so much.

What origins do I keep?

Very difficult for me to answer,cause I think that the origins of my pigeons go back years back,but to answer that question The origins wher Janssens,Delbars,and Stikabul(Spelling mistake)

When do I pair?

I start on November from my stock birds and on March from my racers,if they did what was expected.

What products and feed I use?

Up to a few months ago I was useing a particular mixture but noticed that thier was no difference in the mixtures between racing and breeding so on an advice from a very respectfull friend I started to mix my own

What methods do I use to fly old birds?

The system in Malta is very different,we don,t have old birds,young birds racing we only have pigeon racing,we race what we think is going to win that week

What motivation thechniques I use?

I tried every thechnique that I know but I found that since we have no guarantee that the race is going to be held on the day sheduled the best to race here is celebate and I only let them see each other thru the partition

When and how often do I treat with medicine?

I don,t believe in blind treatment so I have my own microscope and  I go to the vet before the racing season start,if needed i treat if not,Why?

How I go about introducing new blood?

This is very rare for me,but my preference is to buy from a fancier that is given up the sport and I have to know beforehand which pigeons to go for

Who I go to to get new blood?

Answered that already

What have I achieved in this sport?

Shall I say Trophies?shall i say pool money?I had my share,But I guess the biggest achievment was that I enjoy every minute that I spent with my pigeons,like every humane being I had my ups and downs in life but thank God I always had my pigeons to keep me going

What is my dream?

Well here in Malta we race the first in the clock system and it is very hard (impossible)to win the fancier of the year at the fed level That will be my dream.

Linda (mrs_bucket) from the U.S   - www.redroselofts.com

I got introduced to pigeon racing by default, but that's a long story.  Steve kept pigeons as a kid and started back in 1998.

What origins of stock/bloodlines do you keep ?

Our 2 main families are Staf van reet and Janssen with a bit of Barker and Desmett Matthys.

The Van Reets are all bred down from Dean Pallets birds and our Janssens are 2 distinct families, 019 and Patriot, which were bred in California.

When do you pair up.

Thanksgiving, the last thursday in November

We only have one feed available to us a 14% protein mix, plus good quality barley and red wheat. We also use pigeon pellets during breeding season

What methods do you used to fly old birds should include feed and watering system?

This is our first year flying Roundabout, previously we flew natural.

Our birds get very little in the way of additives to the drinker, fresh garlic once a week, and electrolites on return from a race.

As for feeding, we sart the week off on our own depurative mix, barley, red wheat and safflower and depending on the distance to be flown at weekend, we start building the birds up Wednesday, the birds are given all the race mix they will eat on thursday and a light feeding Friday.  We now feed our 14 percent race mix on return from the race.

Vary it from week to week.  Next wee before the 300 State race, we will turn the nest bowls over Friday morning and give them nesting material.  

There health programme, When and How often do you treat?

We do not medicate when it's not needed but prefer to work on the birds natural immuns system from birth using chilsholm Trail Health Products 365/365. We do however treat the birds for 2 days after racing, for Canker resp and cocci, on a 2 weekly basis, alternating products so the pigeons do not build up an immunity to any one product.

If you were to introduce new blood into the loft how would you go about it?.

If I were introducing new blood into my loft I would look to the United Kingdom and not the Low Countries

who would you go to to get the new blood?

Amongst a couple of other flyers, Steve Profitt

Stephen Steyert from Loftus (Up North Combine)

1.How do you got involved in the sport a brief history about themselves

started in 1988 a few of my mates kept them , bought my 1st birds off doddler bright £5 each everyone scored, they were fabry pigeons bred from the late morris lock of saltburn , went into a partnership with kenny sayers of sayers bros for a couple years then packed the birds in for a few season started back again in 1998 went into partnership with john scott from loftus best result was 4th combine, had another season or 2 out then started back up in 2003 with my son eden, best result so far was 2nd fed 2nd section

2.What origins of stock/bloodlines do you keep ?

herman van de weyer from dave stone of belper also a few of ian harris & son from liverton mines

3.When do you pair up?

after blackpoolend of jan

4.What products and feed you use?

what ever rooster suggests , corn always have a good luck at it at the corn store and i try and keep on it all season

5.What methods do you used to fly old birds should include feed and watering system?

roundabout & natural for distance

6.What motivation techniques do you use?

sitting eggs for water races & roundabout for inland

7.There health programmes, When and How often do you treat?

as and when rooster tells me

8.If you were to introduce new blood into the loft how would you go about it?

buy a team of latebreds from a good flyer not 1 that has just 1 good season but 1 that has been at the top for many seasons

9.Who would you go to to get the new blood?

without doubt BOWERS SON& WILSON they have bred more winners in the ec fed than any other loft there birds win at every loft they go to , our 4th combine winner was of them

10.How did you do performances over the last 2,3yr period?

had 3 x 1st last season in a very strong 24 member club , my birds have flown very poor so far this season but i have to take the blame as it's down to me

11.What is your size of loft and size of team?

36ft x 8ft , i have 36 obs and 11 ybs

only the 1 dream and thats to top the UNC

Don from Texas, USA

no longer Race-so no results. Don do keep a few birds--Don have birds in Chats race and cbspigeon.com races I'm team #62 in the Classic and # 75 in the Gusher.Don do have a picture of dons small loft -its 6 X 16and I can keep about 30-35 birds

Fyssal from Egypt,Africa

I used to watch a neighbour flying his big pigeon-folk when i was a 6-year-old boy.I thought about getting pair of Tumblers Because i have got interesetd in the way they perform in air.Then i headed for him to ask for help

I've kept pigeons of Egyptian,french ,Indian and British origins

When do you pair up.

I pair up in winter

I feed my pigeons maize,beans and wheat

I don't care so much about the theories,i like to do it myself and try to teach it to myself

I wanna get enjoyed and loved by my pigeons that's all

I know little bit about diseases and treatment,but i always ask vets for advices

I'll refer to a genitics encyclopedia to do it right

My old neighbour,he's got very old and pedigree blood

I don't have performers

What is your size of loft and size of team ?

It's about 4x5 ,2 meters in length

12. What did you get achieved in the past?

I was tossing pigeons competing my hobby friends

13. What is your dream to come true in the future?

To get a big big loft breed all Pouter and Owl strains

Roland (He is a member of Pigeonbasic forum)

Was at my uncle's in 1954 ... travelled down via train and back and was picked up at each station... 6 years old. Two years later when talking about his great San Sanbastion / Barcelona feats my father, much to my mum's anger, was persuaded we could have some.

2.What origins of stock/bloodlines do you keep?

Hienz was always the order. A great ex flyer from Scarborough let me have some for just £10 each... was going to be a dozen finished up with nine. Flew very well,

Then had my Delbars, have just got anoth 8 pairs, from a renowned Delbar fancier called Smith of Skegness via a Brian Hawkes, a great flyer and friend. Also bought in Willie Tasse, Ceasserts, and Kipps via the man who has the best birds in Brittain bar none, namely Mr. Frank Bristow. lost 18 in a fly away when 3rd time out were hit by the Barnsley Mid week Race. 6 of the 29 worked their way back amazingly over the next few weeks, all after a month... retrieve 5 when reported.

Chris Balsam was also kind enough to let me have 6 young Jansenns. Have lost 3 same as above.

3.When do you pair up?

1st or 2nd week in April normally

With young: Buckton's high protein with sulo.

Racing either as a bov, or Manor farns young bird mix. From  tuesdat mix high carb small seeds. Wednesday total high carb small seeds.

Saturday 3 peanuts each after the race if hardish only... then young bird till Monday. then High Protein if needed. 5.What methods do you used to fly old birds should include feed and watering system?

Natural, and many different 'Toying', but mostly await till 'Loft Fit' then just the odd toss for the cock birds.

Started yearlings and Hens just last week...

Go into the loft basket night and see which ones are alert, and winking at me... especially when they have the eye liner on.

I believe that motivation is just a part of the pigeon that comes naturally when conditioned.

Very seldom. Some birds are never treated.

Only when syptoms show that their immune system needs it. Then a question is asked 'Why and How this Bird(s)'?

If others aren't affected... most likely the bird will never win a decent race, never a hard or distance race ... Paper bag one of course... Question, 'What points, or credit can I muster up to keep, let alone breed off it... Like will it be any use at sometime in the future for any other bird to fly home too etc.

Very unlikely if kept that it would be bred from.

All and any pigeon needs a 'Good Constitution' to be any good.

If I could afford, I'd go back to Frank Bristow and buy 50 eggs. We would mate or birds to tally, using pott eggs quickly and fetch and put them under mine within days.

Last time I bought in I had to have young... he offeed me a great deal like above... But I only had 11 pairs all told. So of course didn't. All whom lowed me favors and WERE in a position to help cried off in leanding me birds... All were willing to let me put the eggs under their birds lol.

Frank Bristow... Turner from Newark perhap! I've just got Brian Hawkes Delbars.

Barry Andrews is flying out of his skin yet again with Buessaerts off Turner.

On Here 'Rose', Gangster and possibly one or two others.

I would certainly  - off anyone - introduce some grizzles and fancy coloured one as this keeps and makes the nieghbours happy when seeing them out..

Poorly, only on the distance and hard races

Have a 16 foot in 5 sections. Capleab;e of holding 200 birds. Have two natural 'Dark Systems, One for breeding and one for the y/b's.

This is perfect for open open from 8 to say 8 - 30 till 4 or 4 - 30.

Then just called in. Perfetly light enough to see their feed and water, and to also doze off whemn and how they wish too.

Not zealous enough to have one. Would have to move house like 70% - 80% of the so called 'Big Boys' to compete, and couldn't afford to... then if I did, like follow Frank Tasker / Clare etc. down to near Old Leake,  unlike them buisnessmen I'd have no income.

Likewise N. East and Louth, Even Lincoln etc. depending on what Road. Question 13. Do you believe wind and location play a part?

100 %

Question 14. What are the 6 most fundemental and important thing to be sucessful.

1. Location.

2. Good birds

3. Bird being contented

4. Observation

5 Stock Sense

Example gettting good out crosses... I.e, Building 3 / 4 unrelated families of 4 pairs and knowing what produces what traits.

6.Forget 'Ideals' and concentrate on KISS!

Keeping it Sweet and Simple

Which club are u flying in ?

Not really flying any, just testing and about to sort the Chaff from the  wheat.

Rick from Bournemouth

my uncle introduced me to birds

i keep an oriinal english bloodline of osmans bred and raced by sir colin osman and his father

When do you pair up.

i pair up in december

i use buxtons feeds and johnsons products  (ie) conditioners

my method of flying old birds is simple , i let my birds fly themselfs ,they know when they are in form so i fly them

the only motivation i use when flying old birds is i place 5 peanuts in each box so as on return the bird gets a treat

There health programme, When and How often do you treat?

the only time i treat is when needed i am not a person to treat when dont know wats treating for

if i was to introduce new blood i would first asses wat i wanted to introduce into my loft .

who would you go to to get the new blood?

i would go to the master in my area of the country  (south west ) mr harry cooper and sweet

Chatrace from the U.S.

I used to train dogs and trapped pigeons for training ,then found a flyer and got intrested in racing them

Most of my birds are HVR and or jannsen line, I have several lines as I host a one loft race and keep the best of the season each year

When do you pair up?

I like to start the 1st of Dec so I can have jan babies ,to put on the light system

I feed a 12 grain mixed feed and add safflower and sunflower seeds as the races get longer

I fly OBs to the nest

10 day egs for hens , 10 day babies for Cocks

I PMV and Pox all the young birds and PMV everything in the loft again in Nov. I use

Chisholm Trail Loft Products  on the feed and in the water everyday http://www.ctlloft.com/

open the door and put them in

No one, I get great birds sent in each year

We have had a good flying season for the last couple years. Won a few and in the top 5% most of the time

YB loft is 8x20 all perches

Have 2 breeding lofts that are 10 x12

2 all white lofts that are 8x12

win Avg speed in Club and win the Bond race

Steve Hole

MY GRANDFATHERE FLEW PIGEONS MANY YEARS AGO IN BRISTOL, AND I REMEMBER AS A LITTLE LAD CLIMBINGTHE STEPS TO HIS LOFT AND LISTENING TO THE PIGEONS, SOMETHING THAT STUCK IN MY MIND WAS THE CLEAN WHITE POWDERED FLOOR AND DOWELED FRONTS ON THE FRONT OF THE BOXES, I HAVE AN OLD OIL PAINTING BY ANDREW BEER WHICH MY GRANDFATHER WON FOR THE COMBINED AVERAGES, IM SURE HE WAS VERY PROUD OF THAT PAINTING WHICH HUNG ON HIS WALL IN BRISTOL FOR MANY YEARS, I TOOK UP PIGEON RACING IN 2002 AND WAS A COMPLETE NOVICE NOT EVEN KNOWING HOW TO HANDLE A PIGEON. I WANTED TO EMULATE WHAT HE HAD DONE IN THE SPORT AND GOT MY WISH WHEN I WON THE COMBINED AVERAGES IN THE CLUB IN 2004.

I KEEP MANY BLOODLINES SPANGLES FROM THE LATE MIKE YOUNG, WARRINGTON AND KIRKPATRICK SAVAGE BARKERS, AND I HAVE AQUIRED THIS YEAR THE COMPLETE STOCK OF MR JIMMY HAMILTON OF FIFE SCOTLAND, THESE ARE THE BEAUTIFUL MARRIOTTS FULL OF LONG DISTANCE BLOOD.

3.When do you pair up?

I PAIR UP GENERALLY IN DECEMBER, BUT IM GOING TO PAIR LATER IN MARCH IN FUTURE DUE TO MY NEW HOME IN INDIA BEING AVAILABLE TO ME IN THE COLD MONTHS HERE IN THE UK.

I USE BUXTON RUBY RED AND VERSA LAGA CORN AND BLEND TO WHAT I FEEL IS RIGHT FOR THE BIRDS AT THE TIME.

5.What methods do you used to fly old birds should include feed and watering system?

I FLY MY BIRDS COMPLETELY NATURAL, BUT CAN MOTIVATE EITHER SEX BY JEALOUSY WHEN I FEEL THEY NEED IT, MY BIRDS GET ORNI  SPECIAL RED ON TUESDAYS, VITIMINS ON WEDNESDAY, AND HONEY IN THE WATER THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.

MOTIVATION IS THROUGH JEALOUSLY PUTTING ANOTHER COCK IN THE OTHER COCKS BOX ECT.

I USE ORNI SPECIAL RED ON A TUESDAY VITIMINS ON A WEDNSDAY AND HONEY IN THE WATER THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.

IF MY BIRDS NEED TREATING I HAVE SUCH A GOOD SUPPLY OF PRODUCTS MY BIRDS GET WHAT EVER I THINK THEY NEED.

THE BLOODLINES OF SCOTTISH PIGEONS IS MOSTLY WHAT I WOULD ADD TO MY FAMILY OF PIGEONS, PEOPLE I WOULD LOOK AT BUYING FROM WOULD BE PETER PATRICK OF FIFE DENIS DALL  AND JOHN ELLIS.

Same as 8. - answer.

LAST YEAR I WON SECTION E IN THE BRISTISH BARCELONA CLUB FROM CARLISLE TURNING MY BIRDS NORTH BECAUSE OF THE BIRD FLU, AND THE YEAR BEFORE WON 2ND SECTION E WITH THE FURTHEST FLYING BIRD OF THE DAY FROM BORDEAUX 546 MILES AND 13 HOURS ON THE WING, AND CLOCKED A LITTLE HEN IN FROM DAX 622 MILES, WHEN YOU SEE THOSE BIRDS COMING HOME FROM THOSE DISTANCES, IT PUTS A LUMP IN YOUR THROAT AND THATS WHAT MAKES PIGEON RACING SUCH A SPECIAL SPORT.

MY LOFTS ARE L SHAPED ABOUT 48 FOOT IN LENGTH 2 MAIN OLD BIRD RACING LOFTS AND 2 YOUNG BIRD LOFTS, OLD BIRDS I GENERALLY HAVE A TEAM OF 24 COCKS AND 24 HENS,  MY STOCK LOFTS ARE CONNETED BY A LARGE OPEN AVERY.

MY DREAM IS TO WIN A BIG RACE LIKE PALAMOS WITH THE BRITISH BARCELONA CLUB, OR THE PAU RACE WITH THE NFC.

Mark Vandaele from Belgium  

www.mark-vandaele-racing-pigeons.be

How do you got involved in the sport a brief history about themselves.

My grandfather who lived next door was a pigeon fancier. Since I was 8  I helped him in the lofts. In 1978 I started racing pigeons on my self. I'm born 16th of March 1966. So I was 12 years old when I really started with pigeons.

All my birds are Gaby Vandenabeele strain.

When do you pair up?

25th of November I pair up the breeders . The widowers are paired up the third week of March.

I use only the corn mixtures of Beyers. For medication I use the products of Belgica Deweerd from Holland.

I race only cocks on the widowhood system. Please find my feeding program in attachment.

For young birds I use the sliding door system. For old birds I follow the classic widowhood system.

The vet comes every Monday during racing season. If he finds something wrong we give the right medication but only on the vets advice.

Gaby Vandenabeele who is a very good friend of mine buys quite some good pigeons. If a crossing with his strain seems to do well I buy some of these crossings from Gaby.

My only supplier is Gaby.

It was very good.

I have 28 widowers from wich 14 yearlings and I keep each year about 50 youngsters for myself.

Winning as much as possible.

Dave A

http://www.freewebs.com/woodlanelofts/index.htm

I had a few as pets many years ago which I enjoyed, so my dad bought me a few racers and that was that, we where hooked for a  while only managed to race one old bird season until I lost a bit of interest and then parents moved house and were not allowed to keep pigeons there so that was the end of that, 9 years later in 2003 got settled into family life and bought a shed in which I was going to have a few pigeons in just to fly out round the garden, Then the bug hit again applied back to the club I used to race in before, got accepted and started racing with young birds in 2004, then my dad started to show an interest again, and it went from him coming up to watch them come back on a Saturday to coming up every day to watch the young birds fly, finally in 2006 convinced him to start and use the scraper (lol) so we now fly as D Asquith and Father. To view our loft and birds please have a look at  http://www.freewebs.com/woodlanelofts/index.htm

The main strains are Busschearts and jannsens but have a bit of allsorts

3.When do you pair up?

We pair up stock on Boxing Day and race team on New Years Day

For feed we use Bucktons and Versele Laga

We fly our own version on widowhood which includes racing hens

Just the normal widowhood ones but change it slightly now and agin to stop them getting bored

Only Treat when there is a problem. But do give them natural stuff in there water throughout the week like cider vinegar, garlic, honey, etc.  They usually get a lettuce in the loft once a week aswelll.

I would find a loft that has been flying successfully for many years and buy yb’s from their winners and try them out that way 9.Who would you go to to get the new blood?Answered this one above

CRAP but getting better this year as it seams to be the best season we have had yet

The loft is 31 ft x 6 ft and at the moment the race team is 6 cocks 7 hens and 45 young birds

To top the club first, then section then fed and keep them there

Paul Winn

i started in 1988 with my grandad and uncle i was at there garden one day and watched the birds arrive back from a race from that day on i was hooked

2.What origins of stock/bloodlines do you keep ?

our team are based around the staff van reets of kevin lawson with a few soojtens busschearts and fvw pigeons basically good pigeons to good pigeons regardless of blood lines

3.When do you pair up.

we pair up back end of january and the first round off the stock team are floated under widowhoods

we use a wide range of products if we feel it benifits the birds they get it we feed verslarga plx and gerry plus peanuts hemp a form of redband

we fly the widowhood cocks with the birds broke down to monday then built back up with the feed for saturday next year we will be trying some hens on total widowhood

observation is the key to this question some cocks prefer different things on a friday one cock performs better with not seeing his hen another performs when he treads his hen , others are best with another cock in there box or just fighting with your hand

we don't fly the channel so our birds are treated on these weeks we only treat if we need to if we are in any doubt the birds are sent to kevin winters for a good check up , one product we use every 2 weeks is nasaline best stuff on the market

i always do as much reserch into new pigeons i like before buying

and try to meet and have a good chat with the fancier before seeing the birds you got to trust the man you are giving your hard earned cash to

kevin lawson cole wheatly & family mr & mrs c lycett and alec showler of sacriston top notch fanciers with top class birds

we have flown consistant over the last 2 -3 years winning 11x1st in 2 years but we are always looking to improve

12. What did you get achieved in the past?

taking the first 6 places in the club with 7 in the first 20 of fed and 7 in the first 50 of the amal  2nd goldrings 2 newcastle fed championship club ware young bird national what a day

13. What is your dream to come true in the future?

to keep improving and top the amal again to see the sport move forward maybe let some of the younger members take the sport to another level but most of all i would like every saturday to be wall to wall sunshine with a nice steady head wind