No Laughing!

I hope this isn't going to be a stupid question but, it's worrying me so I'm going to ask anyway  :B.......

I've just been diagnosed with Shingles (ouch) - can I infect my birds? I know that it's related to Chicken Pox but is this anything to do with Pox?   :-/

I think it a very good (and certainly not laughable) question.  :)

Have had Chickenpox as a child and thought that made me immune from Shingles as an adult. Seems its not as simple as that. You need to have had Chickenpox before you can contract Shingles!  :(

Shingles is contageous. But having already had Chickenpox that makes me immune from catching it from you, Peckedhen.

But doesn't stop me getting it myself, because the virus is still in me in my spinal cord, and could flare up again if I don't look after meself properly.  :'(

Much of what infects the birds affects us and vice-versa. No doubt you are already taking care through personal hygeine not to infect others, so same practice is protecting your birds too.

Don't know if you could infect the birds, but a virus is a virus always pretty unpredictable,  so I wouldn't take any chances ....  :) in either direction  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...