cross breeding

Guest karl adams

take a look at continental lofts they dont have strains and buy just good pigeons and are mainly heinz variety , find a cross that works first then when start loosing there edge find another cross jmo most lofts buy pigeons in soley to try against what they have if there better you shift to the new pigeons simple ;) and try a few old ones crossed to see if improves the new birds ;) if not remove old birds and change to the better birds ;)

take a look at continental lofts they dont have strains and buy just good pigeons and are mainly heinz variety , find a cross that works first then when start loosing there edge find another cross jmo most lofts buy pigeons in soley to try against what they have if there better you shift to the new pigeons simple ;) and try a few old ones crossed to see if improves the new birds ;) if not remove old birds and change to the better birds ;)

tip top answer oldyellow

We have found that our Janssen family cross with all our other birds. Don,t no if it,s with them being very inbred. They have bred winners with jan arden, busscharet, but the best is the van bruane from the Queens loft. They are breding winners every year.

i  believe a good family of pigeons are gotten, by trial and elimination, no matter what the so   called breed, keep the best ones only, even if its only a few, breed these, then repeat trial and elimination, and if the management is right, you will soon better your family of pigeons , try a few new ones to cross in,  each year and work along the same lines

We have found that our Janssen family cross with all our other birds. Don,t no if it,s with them being very inbred. They have bred winners with jan arden, busscharet, but the best is the van bruane from the Queens loft. They are breding winners every year.

hope they breed more this year, :)

think janson birds are in most breeds as most of the top flyers in belgium bought birds of the janson brothers

Guest frank dooman
how many strains do you cross into your birds and whats the best way to cross them is it best to cross as many or just to keep to a few

i think there could be a no. of different ans to that karl if you are starting with an in bred WINNING family its important that you dont just cross any old thing in to them in any great no,s you are trying to improve what you have many a good fancier has ruined a good family by over doing the cross they must be raced hard with a small no of the 1st cross before putting them through the whole loft and if its distance birds we are talking about that can take 3/4 years just to establish how good the offspring are . if its allready a mixture you are starting with then i feel its ok to cross with many different familys as you are trying to build a winning team so nothing to lose

Guest j.bamling

I just put good pigeons to good pigeons ,good breeders to good breeders & its as easy as that there is no such thing as strains or breeds they are just a mans name

my pigeons are my pigeons as i bought them all they might have once come from tom,dick & harry and are of such & such breed but it makes no differance to me they are all pigeons at the end of the day and the idea is to get a good family of our own &  as many winners as you can

and in my opinon the quicker people cotton on to this the better,, Pedigrees and such have never won a race yet

Guest Thunder Birds
I just put good pigeons to good pigeons ,good breeders to good breeders & its as easy as that there is no such thing as strains or breeds they are just a mans name

my pigeons are my pigeons as i bought them all they might have once come from tom,dick & harry and are of such & such breed but it makes no differance to me they are all pigeons at the end of the day and the idea is to get a good family of our own &  as many winners as you can

and in my opinon the quicker people cotton on to this the better,, Pedigrees and such have never won a race yet

Agree 100% Bring in good birds, test them against your own, if they don't click with your system or make a good cross for your own birds - get rid! p.s. no knee jerk reactions though - need to give a new line a good crack at the whip - sprinters until they're yearlings / 2 year olds, distance 3/4 years

The name of the game never really changes. You need to pair the best to the best, over and over again. The problem you will get is when you have bred some really reliable birds and you need to go to the next level. It's a bit like having a daughter. No-one is ever going to be good enough for her. It is the same with your pigeons. It will be hard to find birds that are good enough to cross in.

Because I use the Bull System of breeding, all my young stock have been bred from cocks that have won at least 4 races. Some of them are second generation so they have both Fathers and Grandfathers who have won their 4 races. And in every case where I have paired the second generation in that way, the hens I have chosen are also winners as youngbirds. But do not believe that I am breeding wonder birds because they are not by a long chalk. But they are getting better all the time. Whereas I used to get birds in time to score, I often get up to five and six at a time these days. I think that is good for me because I never send many to ant race.

When I wanted a new bird this year I bought a bird with a lot of performance behind him out of a sire that had also performed well.

I think I have got the stage that makes it silly to use any bird that has not won on the road with my birds. I am not the sightest bit interested in strain, family just performance.

This year I will be flying a strong team of 16 cocks on widowhood. All bred down from the Bulls. Should be interesting. Very interesting.